Football Season 2023/24

I’m of the view that if Chris Sutton thinks it’s a terrible mistake then it’s probably a good idea :slight_smile:

The owners have been in place barely three months and Eustace has arguably over-achieved given what he inherited. Clearly, having embarked on stadium updates they now want someone who can bring punters back. Is Rooney that man? Time will tell but the last owners removed Rowett in favour of sexy Zola. We know how that worked out but in truth one never knows what the inside of a club culture looks like until a manager leaves and the leaks accelerate.

Stockport a good example. Ticking along nicely in their first season back in the National League and then Askey is binned. At first it looks inexplicable bud then the stories about the culture start leaking and it begins to look like a very sound decision. Given where Stockport are bid compared to where Askey is it’s a hard decision to dispute.

So, judgement reserved.

Ha ha. Sutton seems to like advancing contrary views. I think he likes to provoke negative reactions. Some may find him entertaining. I think he’s a bit of prat.

2 Likes

We agree at last Mike! Chris Sutton talks complete and utter ********!

3 Likes

We both love our teams. I’m sure if we ever met we’d agree on loads of things.

1 Like

you lot will be in trouble with @bhoyo who undoubtably agrees with everything Chelsea’s finest striker has ever said.

I was never more scared than when he came out of retirement to play for Wroxham. I can tell you there was a lot of panicky checking going on that day.

1 Like

This is excellent.

5 Likes

Oh no! Rowe scores on his under 21 England debut. He’ll be gone in January.

1 Like

I have to get to bed early tonight to get up at 5am to watch us wallop you at you’re game. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll stick around for another season or two.

Execpt for Madders, most of our ‘big’ money transfers over the past 6 years have sunk without trace pretty quickly.

1 Like

Emi was ok until the training injury a couple of months ago.
Must admit that many have recently disappeared without trace.
I hope Max makes it because he deserves good fortune.

1 Like

An extraordinary couple of weeks for us. Parky’s inability to get the basics right re: one defensive midfielder (Young) and two wing backs (Forde and Mendy) has been compounded by the wretched play of McLean and O’Connor; the repeated red cards and injuries… and yet.

A remarkable 3-3 at home to Crewe despite a red card. Two extraordinary goals from a clearly unfit Mullin. A 0-0 away at Mansfield where we improvised a team and were battered from pillar to post and yet survived.

An excellent 0-1 win away at Crawley followed by a brilliant second string performance away at Crewe in the EFL Trophy. Topped off by a wretched first 30 minutes against Salford which saw us come back from 0-2 to 3-2 having pushed Evans back; O’Connor up and Davies on.

Somehow we’re up to fifth without really playing well bar arguably the Grimsby and Tranmere games. I’ve no doubt Mansfield, Crewe and Stockport will be right up there at season end. Get our act together a tad more and so might we.

1 Like

Chris Sutton is the philosopher king.

3 Likes

You missed out the end of the sentence.

“… in a parallel universe of his own making.”

I have always been fascinated as to who exactly he must have known in order to get the opportunity to appear on the media.

He constantly reminds me of those blokes outside football grounds who see a camera and are happy to either do a vox pop where they’re very loud but talk nonsense, or, they run behind other people on camera pulling silly faces and yelling.

I fear the selection process by which we have been gifted him is not too dissimilar to what makes the worst politicians attractive to us.

1 Like

He told us, through his column in our local paper, to cut Dean Smith some slack and a short while later endorsed bringing Wagner in.

He’s a numpty. But he’s our numpty.

1 Like

That really does make you think

1 Like

Unofficially advised that my x-ray came up clear tonight i.e. no obvious signs of pneumonia. Bloods were clear earlier in the week too. Apparently I’ll have pneumonia symptoms for another month or two but, subject to an early morning pitch inspection and being wrapped up in multiple layers, I’m hoping to take in Bradford City versus Wrexham AFC and a decent curry afterwards.

They were the worst team we’ve played this season under Sparky but now they’ve binned him they’ve won three on the bounce under a temporary manager and a very different style of play. At least 22,000 expected, which is ludicrously good for league two. Given the wind, rain, managerial changes and our propensity to attack too much and implode on the counter away from home then I’m expecting drama if not goals.

2 Likes

And The Mighty Whites eased themselves up to third place today, with a win against Norwich.

They somehow seemed to be in awe of the home team, and, going in at half time 0-2 down, it was going to need something special to get back into the game.

An own goal certainly helped, but then a couple of cracking strikes from Summerville meant that Norwich heads dropped, and restored my faith in this group of players.

I do think we have one of the most talented squads in the division, and, when they’re on song, a top two place at the end of the season is not outwith the realms of possibility.

M.O.T.

4 Likes

Was a nail biter. Listening on LUTV we seemed to spurn enough opportunities to win 3 or 4 games. We sounded like worthy winners in the end. But where the heck did 8 minutes of extra time come from? Happy days.

2 Likes