Football Season 2023/24

In all honesty Leeds should have been ahead before half time. They missed three good chances by blazing wide when I thought it easier to score.
Farke has sorted Leeds out as he did at Norwich. Young team playing good football and creating chances. All Leeds needed was a Pukki to put the chances away.
As forNorwich we are a pale shadow of the team Farke created before desperate Delia sold them. One wonderful goal from Sara but the rest of the time we looked very much second best. Our central defenders are now feeling their age as the season progresses and look slower with every game. I’m not sure if they didn’t actually fossilise in the second half.
Only Delia fails to see the true cost of free transfers.

1 Like

Yet another winner in injury time for Pompey. Felt a bit for the Carlisle fans who travelled all that way, saw their team play well in parts, deserved a point, but left with nothing.

I’m trying hard not to get too excited given that there is still a very, very long way to go in the season but the footballing gods seem to smiling on us so far. Long may it continue.

A win is a win. But why do they leave it so late?

Late wins are the best game in town.

1 Like

Interesting day out in Bradford. I was at that match so it’s not a place I choose to go back to often (and fortunately haven’t had the opportunity in decades). A bleak ground and experience in so many respects nowadays. I would never go by myself but the 18 year old couldn’t make it as they’d a gig to get to (which they didn’t make thanks to a dislocated knee). Cousin couldn’t make it as they’d got builders in. Mate couldn’t make it as they were away celebrating their 60th. So, Mrs. H. (Ex Old Trafford season ticket holder so not a football fan for years) generously agreed to drive and come to the match. She even agreed to leave her iPad behind and watch some of the game.

• they apparently no longer sell programmes.
  • the stewards had no idea about programmes when we asked.
  • same stewards had no idea where our part of the stand was. Guided us to the wrong row. Seats were numbered. No labelling for rows whatsoever behind the goal. Gave zero confidence that a ground with its history could have been evacuated safely.
  • narrow seats so uncomfortable you had to stand periodically to avoid your arse and legs going numb.
  • stewards told to stand by their boss even though there was no need and they were blocking the view of wheelchair users. The sane stewards refused to remove one of our fans for calling a 19 year old Bradford player a fairy. At other grounds they’d have been straight out. Those days really ought to have gone.
  • the sort of place where the PA announces their goal scorer but not yours. Petty and ultimately unprofessional.

A game where both teams nullified the best of each other and both had decided that the pitch was too wet to play on the floor. Made for an afternoon of long balls in the air and few chances but compelling and tense in its own way. Before kick off a draw would have been fine. Frustrating to not get all 3 points then having taken the lead albeit that had Bradford won 2-1 we could have had little cause for complaint. The frustration for me came solely from Parky continuing to pick O’Connor at left back; Evans in the middle and a clearly struggling Lee with him. The less I say about McLean the better. Left wing back is not his position and he’s awful there. The sooner Mendy replaces him the better. Not seeing Davies until the last few minutes beggars belief also really.

Both sides ought to have had penalties but frankly 1-1 will look good come season end.

The frustration is that if we’re going to break into the top 3 Parky really needs to sort midfield and up our away form. Tuesday night at home to Sutton, for which I will again be absent, could be a massive banana skin unless we sort out the midfield 3.

Mrs. H. highlight was the driving of the match ball to the centre circle in one of those small cars for no reason anyone could think of accompanied by a loud chorus of “what the F@@@Ing hell is that?” and a lone voice behind us singing “Silverstone. Na na na.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to a great deal of activity at Carrow Road before the end of November as our sporting director Webber said he wouldn’t leave Delia in the lurch and his replacement takes over at the end of that month.
Be interesting to see how he clears the £60 million deficit and all the deadwood he’s brought into the club.

:joy::joy::joy:

You think I’m joking?

Nope. I think it’s funny. Unsure mine would do likewise.

1 Like

She couldn’t resist getting her phone out second half. What a shame the signal ceased about 30 minutes into the first half.

My money says your deficit will go up.

Thanks to Webber and Delia’s combined efforts I’m afraid it’s inevitable.
The only comfort is Attanasio will probably then be able to buy up the remaining shares at a good price.
I suspect he’s not the answer as we need more than stats to get us out of the mess we are in.

Division 1 here we come!
How can you produce a team like tonight’s offering after seven years of premiership and parachute payments, not to mention in excess of £100 million transfer income?

1 Like

No idea what’s got into Parkinson this season. Yes we’re having ceaseless issues with injury but his team selections are bizarre. How the awful James McLean is in the squad let alone the team is behind me. How Evans stays in midfield ahead of Young. Ditto O’Connor in defence.

We play the 92nd team. A team who have not picked up a point away from home. They set up with two banks of four so we clearly need to take the game to them. Instead we recycle the ball endlessly and play nice stuff at a snails pace for 45 minutes trying to draw them out. Only a genius Mullin strike separates us and we only create two other chances. Second half we start losing battles all over the pitch and they rightly equalise. Only our increasingly tedious last ten minutes of effort produces a superb winner from Lee. It was a game we didn’t look like we were having fun in and had we played the right team and applied some intelligence we’d have walked that 4-0 or more.

Bizarre that we’re now up to 3rd. Hard to see anything but a battering at Notts County if we keep doing that.

A strangely listless Mighty Whites could make no impression against Stoke this evening.

Too many players off their game, too slow to the ball all over the park, and whoever thought it was a good idea to have Patrick Bamford take the penalty when he’s hardly played recently, and is distinctly low on confidence?

Anyway, results elsewhere meant that we remain in third place, but we have to do much better than this to have any chance of an automatic promotion place.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Too many changes to the starting 11 and none of those who came into the side enhanced their reputations. No one in the lufc crowd would have given Bamford the penalty. Farke too slow to make changes. And no one seems to agree with me but we’ll never be great at corners when Messlier’s in the nets. On a brighter note, given the mess Orta & Marsch created we’re doing all right but we’re not looking anything like ready for the EPL again.

1 Like

Still shudder slightly when I read the name Ched Evans on the score sheet even if it was an own goal.

1 Like

A creditable draw against Dastardly Diego and his mobsters. But I was mystified as to why Brendan chose to send the Bhoys out for the second half in containment mode. Gone was the pressing, speed and attacking zest that was so impressive in the first half. Inviting Atletico on was suicidal, and Celtic were lucky to get away with a point.

Celtic deserved a point based on a very entertaining first half, but I suspect that the bench strength wasn’t there to keep it up for 90 minutes.

2 Likes

Rangers got away with one today in Prague. Worst performance in the first half for at least a couple of weeks. Officiating by the German ref atrocious, SPFL quality throughout the game. Much work yet to be done by the new manager. Hopefully he noticed Sparta do not defend well under pressure.:thinking::thinking::thinking: