Football Season 2023/24

No idea who our ref was tonight but that was the performance of a lifetime.

At one point Mcalinden, entirely left footed, hit the ball off his left foot into his right and out of play for a goal kick to them. No player of any colour within 5m of him. Ref gave us a corner.

What a strange appointment Rooney is. Birmingham were a well organised/solid side on the edge of the play offs when he arrived. Thoroughly outplayed by Coventry tonight. Saved from a mauling by their keeper.

I would still like to know.

1 Like

It can only be marketing, surely. The owners think there’s money in a ‘name’.

Didn’t they do something similar ?? A decade ago. Sacked the manager when in the play off positions. Brought in Zola. And plummeted down the league.

1 Like

History repeating itself as you say. Gary Rowett was the fall guy before.

1 Like

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Neville(s)…the latest in a long list of great players who don’t make great managers. A similarly long list of Chairmen who throw all logic out of the window when they make the appointments.

It’s astonishing how so many owners never learn. It doesn’t help that football’s a bit of an old boys club where the old boys will, for instance, still tell you that Lampard/Gerrard are good managers.

You would have thought owners would have learnt that the best player doesn’t necessarily make the best manager. The prime example being the Charlton brothers.

Jack was fantastic for Ireland.

2 Likes

Well, 7000+ travelling Leeds fans had plenty to sing about at Ewood Park this afternoon, as The Mighty Whites took all three points off Blackburn.

Both sides were seriously going for it, and it was a very enjoyable and competitive match.

All we need now is for Boro to get the win against Ipswich, and that gap to second place will be closing nicely.

@AlanP, what do you reckon, Sam Greenwood to get a couple? Least he can do, to help out his mates back in Leeds, surely? … … … UTB.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

I am sure he will do his best Dave, Boro still suffering with a heavy injury list, but Ipswich’s travels have not gone that well lately. I’m going 2-1 home win :+1:

1 Like

All I will say is that locally we have Reading , the sixth oldest league club, it has a Premiership ground - it was allowed to be taken over by a foreign businessman who has destroyed two clubs, one in China and one in Belgium.

I think the Reading fans would like owners who pay their taxes and don’t trigger 16 points deduction.

1 Like

An unhelpful postponement for us thanks to a waterlogged pitch at FGR. In every other respect a decent day. Stockport scraped a draw. Crewe and Notts County lost.

Norwich 0-0 Preston I can pick the games to take my grandson to.
When a nine year old says his team passes the ball quicker it says everything about the game!

Absolutely massive win for Pompey against 2nd place Bolton this evening. High pressing game worked and while Bolton had some good chances in the first half they had virtually none in the second. 6 points clear now.

We rarely get results when Sky cover our games so I maybe that curse has been lifted.

1 Like

Can’t disagree with that. An absolutely pivotal game and a great result. I know far too many Bolton fans through work and the 18 year old and I also have a soft spot for Evatt who really is excellent but there’s no arguing with that result or the performance.

1 Like

I watched the match as well (Bolton fan) and Portsmouth certainly deserved their win. We do tend to struggle if a team can successfully execute a high press. We lost in a similar manner at Fratton Park last season and I was surprised at that time to see that Portsmouth were only around mid-table, so I’m not surprised to see them push on this season. The match also reminded me of our play off defeat against Barnsley last season where Barnsley also stopped us playing our usual game. Pompey are looking good for promotion and it will be interesting to see if we can join them.

2 Likes

Poor tonight, we are against teams setting up as Sunderland did. Against a packed defence Piroe at 10 is unable to influence the game, we need a lock picker in there. If Farke and the board don’t think we need players I think we’re back to the same old same old. No complaints but like for like subs don’t do it. We needed something different. That’s where signings come in! Best team won.

1 Like

Tonight, Sunderland had obviously done their homework on The Mighty Whites, and managed to contain our attacking efforts quite comfortably.

The Leeds players didn’t look to be enjoying life very much, and frustration set in, the longer the game went on.

We never really looked like scoring, and not for the first time, a former player came back to haunt us as Jack Clarke ran young Erchie Gray ragged.

But hey, it’s onward and upward against Coventry at Elland Road this Saturday.

M.O.T.

2 Likes