Football Season 2023/24

And they’ll be “on a high” if they beat the “not so mighty red and whites” tomorrow…. :laughing:

1 Like

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

Tbf that’s Stoke, Rotherham and now Sunderland.

It’s how to beat us. It’s pretty much how Villa beat the Gooners/City. We don’t have the players to break that kind of defending down. If you accept Piroe is ineffective at 10 in that kind of game, that our 2 central mids don’t score goals and that Rutter can’t shoot we can see the problem. Opposition managers certainly can.

A Wembley trip will do fine :wink:

2 Likes

I agree.

Unfortunately, the strategy to contain our free scoring and mobile attack is there for all to see, so we do need to come up with a plan B, and the players to carry it out.

Wemberlee is not for me, as, historically, our record in the Play Offs leaves much to be desired.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Given the start we gave the top 2 anything better looks unlikely. Still we travel in hope. That said the only real problem with the Championship is the lack of media coverage/match reports etc. The EPL’s a playground for countries, despots, oligarchs and tourists.

We came unstuck in a similar manner against Stoke as I recall but went on a terrific run after that - sometimes you just need a reset.

As for playoff finals - no thanks. I was in Cardiff for the 3-0 loss against Watford and at Wembley for the game against Doncaster. We were Leeds so surely we would beat Donny, we lost 1-0 - still, we had a good weekend each time!

Opposition managers keeping saying we have a Premier League squad, have we? I don’t think the current one would survive there, what do you Leeds fans think?

Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Opposition managers, usually when their team has just been played off the park, have been very complimentary about The Mighty Whites, but though we do have one of the best squads in the Championship, it would be stretching things somewhat to apply a similar judgement to the Big Boys’ League.

Summerville is a standout player, who will find himself, one way or another, in the PL.

Ampadu, Rutter, Rodon, Kamara and James could, on their day, feature for a mid table team without doubt, and wee Erchie Gray looks like a future star.

'Ere, what am I saying?

I started out by casting doubts on our squad’s PL credentials, and here we are, I’m already saying that seven of them could, on a good day, get by just fine.

Mind you, once you tick off these names, the squad, in depth, looks a little bare, so we probably should be reviewing things once promotion becomes a reality.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave.

Marcelo’s squad just looked a lot better (or was it just the coaching?). It seems daft to say it but I don’t really want to go up if we end up like Norwich and keep bouncing back and forth - absolutely no offence to our Norwich friends here whose frustration I can completely understand.

I just hope we can strengthen a bit in January and perhaps develop a lot more into a sustainable, slick, winning outfit.

At least I was able to give up my BT Sports (now TNT) subscription this season and keep my Sky one so that I can watch my beloved Whites. Saved a few bob so it’s not all doom and gloom!!

M.O.T.

1 Like

Might I offer a different perspective? Going to anyway :slight_smile:

It’s one defeat in 8 and only a 4th all season. Whilst other teams made better starts you’re barely behind them now in terms of losses and we’re barely into the business part of the season (November to February). Fans get very worked up about these things and hone in on weaknesses and potential consequences for this season and next.

Managers are paid to not do that. It drives fans nuts but the managers perspective is the correct one. They will know the issues and the weaknesses and in an ideal world they’d fix them in an instant but we don’t live in an ideal world and most managers will look at it and conclude that the players and pattern of play succeed far more times than they fail. As a manager that is actually what success looks like. The microanalysis of the media enables some fans a depth of analysis which is actually unhelpful.

My own team had a torrid opening to our league 2 campaign. 15 minutes from hell against MK Dons. A season unbeaten at home undone in an instant. Parky fiddled a bit but given that we didn’t really have a pre season he’d have done that if we’d won 6-0. Fans were tearing their hair out when we drew 5-5 with Swindon. The away performances were, and are, pretty poor. Despite that we quietly went 7 unbeaten.

Then we met Stockport. Dominated the first 20 minutes then conceded 3 in 12 minutes and lost 5-0. Even our fans understood that it was a freak result. Stockport had 6 shots on goal and scored 5. We subsequently went 11 unbeaten until a game at Accrington where it was obvious even before kick off we weren’t going to win the game. A dismal 2-0 defeat which raised the same question as the MK Dons and Stockport results. Are our wing backs too high and are more teams going to exploit that? Why don’t we have - that old football gem - a plan B? Next time out we put 6 past a decent counter attacking Morecambe.

The answer is that, like Leeds, we’re doing just fine and what we do really well is more than enough to outweigh the issues.

Next season is different. You all know my view that Farke simply isn’t good enough but why think ahead now? You’re having a successful season. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Couldn’t attend tonight’s match as I’m out injured. Watched on the red button and although 3-1 over Wednesday looks a good result we still look very fragile at the back.
The very, very, very slow play out from the back just seems to hand momentum back to the opposition.
We’ve some very good young players but we seem so disjointed at times. One minute very flowing football the next looking like a park team.
I’d prefer to see our best centre back Batth start next Saturday against Ipswich. Not full of confidence but anything is likely to happen in a local derby.:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

How nice to have a post on this thread that’s not about Leeds or Wrexham…

4 Likes

Up to people to chip in and change the balance. I certainly won’t take offence at being outnumbered. The more the merrier.

3 Likes

Watched 3 games this week plus the end-of Leeds/Sunderland.
The latter bush league, elite football not in evidence.
On to the “Champions League “ we have Celtic fans celebrating a narrow win like they won the aforementioned Champions League, yet in a bounce game vs an average Feyenoord team.
Bayern Munich vs. Man. Utd. Was fun in the sense the former strolled to the win with a minimum of effort.
But accolades by all for Rangers vs. Betis, the latter undefeated this year at home. The Famous Glasgow Rangers , no other adjectives required, did the necessary. Guess Celtic helped Scotland’s rating for oncein a decade, but as usual, the Gers did the necessary.

Congrats, he says, almost chewing off his own tongue.

3 Likes

Entertaining East Anglia derby in the midday game. Norwich will be pleased with the point. Ipswich are doing remarkably well in the Championship.

Ipswich 2-2 Norwich That turned out better than I thought it would.
After 14 years Norwich are still the pride of East Anglia!
Good performance from the ref who allowed the game to flow.

Yep. He was good.

Today’s points shared at Portman Road gives The Mighty Whites the chance to close the gap on second place Ipswich … … … :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

M.O.T.

Pride of East Anglia for rather more than 14 years in my opinion John!

Like me, I assume you feared the worse when they equalised so quickly after we went 2 - 1 up?

An unexpected bonus in the run up to the festivities.

1 Like

Town below our best but should have won equally could have lost.

The ref - hmmm missed pretty much everything but if he had blown it would have been way too stop/start. Linos poor - hints of offside for both City goals - were the TV replays conclusive? Still better than VAR!!

Long time admirer of Norwich but disappointed today - long throws (admittedly huge) seemed to be the primary threat. Not the usual City (or Wagner) way.

Good if spiky atmosphere in the ground - hope there’s no trouble from both moron fringes outside.