Football Season 2023/24

3 Likes

I hope we play Maidstone in the next round! Battle of the giant killers.:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Would be nice although I’m not greedy. I’ll simply settle for a place in the next round

I would have placed a lot of money on them not surviving the second half.

Just shows how wrong you can be.

Great advert for the FA Cup.

3 Likes

Limbo?

Defined presumably as 2 points off a play off place in the Championship with everything to play for? As the supporter of a team on a downward trajectory which lasted from 1997 to 2021 I, and I suspect most here, would welcome your limbo.

Look up at the sky John. When you’re a point off the bottom 2 in league 2 by all means come back and tell us how terrible these days you’re living through now are. You’ll forgive me if I can’t take that seriously right now.

We had 4 consecutive years fighting for a league 1 play off place in the late 90s. Anyone telling is to wake up and smell the roses/that we were living through a golden age was scoffed at. They were right.

If you can’t enjoy this now, why bother?

1 Like

Ipswich will, barring a major collapse, be in the EPL next season. They’re a lovely team to watch but the obvious weakness is that they’re not a physical team and boy did Maidstone exploit that.

It also helped that Maidstone’s keeper decided to have the game of his life.

He won’t be able to do it against us though in the next round…

The problem we have is two joint owners and everything up in the air for three years means no clear leadership. In the meantime the debt increases.
It’s not just Norwich but the majority of teams are carrying huge debts for the size of their business and there must soon be a day of reckoning as it can’t go on indefinitely.
It’s this factor that tempers my enjoyment.

1 Like

Threw it away today. Radio Leeds pundits have consistently said we have a strong squad. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity can see we have a great starting 11 but every sub makes us weaker. The pundits have belatedly woken up to this fact. Should have been out of sight by half time. Got what we deserved in the end which includes a journey to the SW we really could do without.

1 Like

Tricky game for Saints tomorrow, away to Watford (who are just 3 points off a play-off spot. I think).

I remember an infamous two-leg tie in one of the cups against them a couple of decades ago. Saints at home ran out 4-1 (I think), so the return leg was obviously a “forgone conclusion”. Unfortunate for us, nobody told the Hornets who duly thrashed us good and proper and went through. That’s football for ya!

**[quote=“JohnF, post:687, topic:29646, full:true”]
Just seen that Ipswich fans threw beer cans and flares at Delia Smith’s car outside the ground. Physically attacking a couple in their eighties!
[/quote]

**disgusting , and hopefully facing a period in a place which does not have satellite TV or internet

1 Like

Would that be the same Ipswich who, today…….

Having played Sat/Wed I would have expected an even weaker team - I would have given Rodon/Ampadu and Rutter a rest as well.

Bielsa used to play an entire second string in the cup games on the basis that that’s all they were going to get. We are not going to win the cup and have done so well so far, particularly eeking out results against Preston and Norwich.

Hopefully we will see the benefit against Bristol City next Friday.

3 Likes

The only reasons to stay in the FA cup for me are:
A) to give folk who don’t normally get to games a chance (especially the kids)
B) to draw and test ourselves against a top club at ER
and
C) as today’s tie was at home, to maintain our unbeaten record which is part of maintaining momentum.

We should have met all 3 requirements today. My worry is lack of cover (Shackleton/Poveda/joseph/Gelhardt etc). Whoever started the game today the lack of quality cover remains. I don’t think we sustained any injuries so the cover won’t be required (just yet).

The 11 that starts the game has to win it, basically.

2 Likes

Fulham Away.

I just prefer to support my team.

Football. You’re either in or you’re out…

How good was Maidstone United’s win, 2 shots at goal v 38. Sport doesn’t get any better imo.

5 Likes

Absent a game yesterday we went to watch Wigan v Stevenage as it was a game which screamed goals. 2-3 probably not a fair result. VAR would likely have allowed the disallowed Wigan goal. Great 90 minutes though. Shocked to see how shabby that stadium looks now. Real neglect since their FA Cup run.

Talking of neglected stadiums…An intriguing 24 hours ahead. Currently in Newport for the United FA Cup game. Supporting friends who, despite being on the opposite side last weekend, have always supported my team and Wales when push comes to shove. They hold season tickets for both Cardif and Spurs but nowadays Newport is a tad closer for them. So, having missed last weeks non-local derby, this week I’m hoping they beat United and will be on the halfway line in an orange shirt donated for the day.

Tomorrow morning we head home and then straight off to Blackburn to join an astonishing 7,400 Wrexham fans. Not expecting to win as we’re a slightly weaker team than last season; have very poor away form and have no ball winner in midfield. In fact we may get hammered. Nevertheless it’s nice to be steadily re-establishing our cup credentials. We had but the 1 FA Cup run in non-league ended by the sort of foul no Brighton player would contemplate nowadays :slight_smile:

Wagner has either pulled a master stroke or completely lost it! He’s named two keepers on the bench for today’s game at Liverpool. No wonder we are losing our best academy players.

If he plays them both at the same time we could be in with a chance…

1 Like

Perhaps all three together with the coach and we’ll be in with a chance!

1 Like