Football Season 2023/24

Looking at the team he’s put out, I doubt it.

1 Like

Judging by the first ten minutes I think your correct.

Goodnight Vienna…

Come on Maid…er Norwich!

1 Like

All we need is a “let’s be havin you!” half time speech. OTBC!

1 Like

I think the score is flattering us &, should we be promoted, I doubt many Premiership side would field their reserves against us.

Mind you, a half time rallying call from your girlfriend could make all the difference in the second half!

1 Like

We make more defensive mistakes than pretty much any other team I can think of but it seems very unfair that the percentage of them that result in opposition goals also appears so high.

When they are that bad it’s not unfair. We’ve been lucky in the games I’ve watched that it’s been a fairly low goals against to blunders made. It’s why I’m sure we will be in the championship next year.

Well, at least we get goal of the match.

1 Like

Thank heavens Liverpool aren’t non-league.

Thank heavens we weren’t playing Maidstone…

I just don’t see anything to build on next season although it would have been interesting to see if Sargent & Rowe could have bothered Liverpool’s defence more than we actually did.

Disappointed with the performance. Didn’t expect a result but hoped to give them more of a game.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not untypical of performances in the championship this season.
The club is a mess at the moment.
To think there was a time when we not only beat Liverpool but finished higher than them in the league and then along came Delia.

2 Likes

Not bad. 2 games down and we’ve seen 11 goals. Suspect we’ll see plenty more tomorrow night but just not for us.

Let’s be having you

I was in the kitchen and came back to see a very “ happy” Delia Smith, it rated alongside see Bill Grundy and the Sex Pistols as memorable things I have seen live on TV

1 Like

Most people forget, in true Norwich fashion, we still lost…

2 Likes

Have a bit of faith Mike :grinning:

I don’t think we’ll get much out of tonight either but hope springs eternal. I am somewhat irked that the draw has been made before we have kicked a ball!

An entertaining 4th round FA cup tie at Ewood Park this evening. Having weathered the early storm from Blackburn, and then taking the lead through a thumping strike from Cannon, I thought the tie was going to be very close. But a combination of Blackburn’s slick passing in the final third and Wrexham’s inconsistent defending and hesitant keeper meant Blackburn were comfortable winners from about the 30th minute on. The army of travelling Wrexham fans seemed to enjoy themselves nonetheless. :+1:

2 Likes

With a gap of two leagues, it’s obvious that there will be a gulf in the standard of the players, and it was clear to see. Players like Mullin and Tozer are clearly not good enough when playing against higher level teams. Wrexham are on a journey and can now focus on another promotion.

I would have loved a trip to North Wales, but Blackburn it is :black_heart::white_heart:

1 Like

Several under par performances by Wrexham players. Mullin is not the player he was before the injury and is playing off scraps anyway. O’Connel looked rusty after coming back from injury and was playing on his wrong side. Poor Okonkwo looked like the young kid that gets put in goal because he is taller than everybody else.

Blackburn beat us comfortably though and were the much better side. I wish them luck and hope the game against Newcastle is a good one.

Allowing myself a large rant after that.

We got what I predicted sadly. Easily beaten by a Championship team who are allegedly decent going forward but awful at the back. It would be easy to say we ought not to be too harsh given the level of opposition but the reality is that last season we’d have been down their throats and would have created multiple chances in each half.

We were warned by Blackburn fans that they prefer one twos on the edge of the box rather than a straightforward cross and that was certainly true. The harsh realities for us are that tonight was an exact replica of Newport and most away games this season. It’s also what we’ve been able to gloss over at home. The FA Cup last season signaled that we were ready for promotion. This season it has screamed that we are a weaker team than last and may yet get worse.

Injuries are killing us to some extent - Okwonkwo is only in goal because Lainton remains out. We have 6 centre backs of 1st team qualify. Hayden and Tunnicliffe have barely played since last years cup run. O’Connell ditto. O’Connor is an attacking midfielder playing at centre back and now also out for a month. Tozer is league 2 quality but no more and his distribution this season has been repeatedly awful as it was tonight. The long throw is a waste of time whilst Palmer and Hayden are unfit.

We’re playing with no defensive mid who can win the ball and so we are also playing entire halves like tonight where we barely touch the ball for long periods and have literally no-one to put their foot in and win the damn thing back. We have a left midfielder who cannot play as a wing back and thus makes us lop-sided and negative. All our actual wing backs have alternated injuries and suspensions. I e forgotten what Hosannah looks like.

The argument is that teams have sussed to press us. That’s nonsense. Evans and Lee cannot play a simple pass. They have to turn first. Unsurprisingly it’s the easiest thing in the world to close us down and steal the ball thanks to those turns. We have ceased to do simple stuff well.

Mullin has suffered on multiple fronts but especially for lack of a partner. He can operate way above this level -he’s easily a Championship level striker - but even Palmer at his worst is better than the other options so he’s living off crumbs at the moment. Tonight we created 2 chances in 90 minutes. Last season he’d have had at least 5 chances in a half. That’s compounded by his lack of a pre season thanks to the punctured lung and 4 broken ribs. He’s been ploughing a lone furrow and has resorted to trying to buy fouls when last season he’d have ripped those defenders apart. You have to feel for him really. He’s still scoring 1 in 2 but he’s got nothing he can do anything with or about at present.

Thought only young Max emerged with credit tonight. 2 of those goals were giveaways. I’d best not start on James McClean. At some point you have to look at this squad and say Tozer, Lee and Dalby are no longer good enough. Evans, Fletcher and McClean have made us slower, older and less creative. A significant rethink is required. This team may not get up this season; certainly isn’t going to create much or win at Salford and is no better than lower mid table in league 1 at best.

Grrr.

2 Likes