Fraim rear leg - new narrow option

Does anyone know if the thin leg lets a Radikal sit squarely on the fraim shelf without the plugs fouling the leg?
Apologies if I’ve missed this but a quick skim did not bring anything up.

Exactly what I wanted to know, too.

Perhaps post a photo of the back of the Radikal?

Or look at this;

ATB, J

Hi @Richard.Dane
I have oak racks.
I was just wondering whether to add glass, cup & balls to the oak shelves & what would benefit, brains or brawn?

Thanks

Mark

As Richard says, there’s no guarantee it will work. You may have to try it and see what you think. When I had my Quadraspire I tried Naim glass, cups and balls on it and frankly it sounded hideous. Splashy, harsh and plain nasty.

There are only a couple of manufactures that seem to have solved the glass interface satisfactorily and that’s Naim and Mana. I’d go as far to say that I think Mana frames are even more natural than the Fraim when used in the right combinations and with the right equipment.

1 Like

You could do worse than work through this thread

1 Like

Just wondering… is it possible that you happen to live in the US?:thinking:

^^^truth

1 Like

Are you saying “client is the king” only in USA?

King?:thinking: In Europe we don’t even talk in those terms… For us it’s basically about long-term relationship, trust and confidence between dealer and customer. King…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

“The customer is King” is a known phrase in the UK. In many ways I think it’s a lot better than “The customer is always right” because, often the customer is not right and would be better off being guided and advised wisely and accordingly by those who know better. However, right or wrong, they are always “King”…

3 Likes

Okay, never heard that phrase before… in that case I probably prefer the real kings that we have…:innocent:

Do not agree :slight_smile: I’ve heard it many times in Sweden. Mainly a phrase used by sales people or product management so not heard of as often as a customer. If you look and HIFI-stores and their revenue in Sweden I’d say it pretty much sums it up pretty good in that those stores that think they are kings have a declined revenue and those that believe customer is king have increased revenue.

What don’t you agree with? As I wrote… I haven’t heard it before. Incidentally, I think there is a lot in what Richard says, many customers do not know what they are talking about.

This :point_up_2: You say in Europe WE don’t talk like that but then you refer to it as YOU haven’t heard it before :wink:

If you’re good at sales you can make them think they are the king even though you made their decision. Bit like how your wife tricks you :wink:

You too must realize that there are cultural differences between the US and Europe right?:thinking: But let’s not get into that now, gets easily political which we won’t talk about here… As for sellers… Sure, there are many tricks but nothing beats a serious dealer IMO.

May I ask a question?
Why would Naim design an amp i.e. NC250 that doesn’t fit their Fraim design correctly with speaker cables fouling the rear Fraim leg, looking at the rear pictures of an NC250 its clear the speaker terminals are in the wrong place or is this not the case?

It’s a reasonable question. I think it’s just down to space - or rather the lack of it. If you look at the internals the inclusion of a fan likely means that running one channel of the speaker wires next to it is either not possible or not desirable. So both sets of terminal have to be on one side. Then you’ll see that the switch mode standby supply takes up space that means the two terminal sets are slightly pushed towards the centre. The design of the speaker connectors means that the terminal pairs can’t easily be positioned one above the other and the lugs mean they have to be suitably spaced apart. Maybe @110dB can offer some insight here?

2 Likes

I suspect they’ve just never taken it into account. They originally developed the Fraim around the amps of that time, and with amps developed afterwards it was never an issue so it didn’t occur to them to add it to the checklist.

One would assume it has been added now that it’s gone wrong once and had forced them to develop a new leg (at a loss?).

2 Likes

Just seems odd to spend time developing an amp then to find out it doesn’t quite fit the Fraim, very strange.

1 Like