Fraim rear leg - new narrow option

This :point_up_2: You say in Europe WE don’t talk like that but then you refer to it as YOU haven’t heard it before :wink:

If you’re good at sales you can make them think they are the king even though you made their decision. Bit like how your wife tricks you :wink:

You too must realize that there are cultural differences between the US and Europe right?:thinking: But let’s not get into that now, gets easily political which we won’t talk about here… As for sellers… Sure, there are many tricks but nothing beats a serious dealer IMO.

May I ask a question?
Why would Naim design an amp i.e. NC250 that doesn’t fit their Fraim design correctly with speaker cables fouling the rear Fraim leg, looking at the rear pictures of an NC250 its clear the speaker terminals are in the wrong place or is this not the case?

It’s a reasonable question. I think it’s just down to space - or rather the lack of it. If you look at the internals the inclusion of a fan likely means that running one channel of the speaker wires next to it is either not possible or not desirable. So both sets of terminal have to be on one side. Then you’ll see that the switch mode standby supply takes up space that means the two terminal sets are slightly pushed towards the centre. The design of the speaker connectors means that the terminal pairs can’t easily be positioned one above the other and the lugs mean they have to be suitably spaced apart. Maybe @110dB can offer some insight here?

2 Likes

I suspect they’ve just never taken it into account. They originally developed the Fraim around the amps of that time, and with amps developed afterwards it was never an issue so it didn’t occur to them to add it to the checklist.

One would assume it has been added now that it’s gone wrong once and had forced them to develop a new leg (at a loss?).

2 Likes

Just seems odd to spend time developing an amp then to find out it doesn’t quite fit the Fraim, very strange.

1 Like

I think that they might phase out Fraim at some point. I don’t think their new breed of customers care much about the equipment support. ( those are for die hards only )

Sonority Design use to manufacture bespoke laminate shelves for the fraim using a cone type isolation interface. Not sure if they’re still around (their site is still up).

Yes, they are. I have a full set of Sonority platforms designed specifically to work with Fraim. Steve Hitch, who runs Sonority, is about to make roller platforms for PhoenixNet, which I’m keen to try.

1 Like

As an Isoblue owner & user, I would not have this problem… :grinning:

Nothing to Do With Naim Frame…

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum

There is an option of positioning a Lingo 3 on the naim fraim sideways on - so the connections leads route out to one side instead of the rear.
It wouldn’t cost anything to try.
May help with an unwanted blue light issue too.
It works well with a Radikal :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

Hi all,

R&D designs all 430mm wide products to fit the Friam. All 430mm products are tested and listened to on Fraim.

The product name and information has the rear middle space reserved. Some products it can get difficult due to either the internal architecture or the amount of connections.

See area where NAC 252 and SUPERCAP is written

and the same for new classic. Common and complementary features are also aligned. e.g. all mains plugs on the same side, coms (coms pushed the speaker connectors), pre-amp outputs above power amp inputs etc.

New classic was tight and a new narrow Fraim leg was developed. The narrow leg is retrofittable to existing Fraim setups. The narrow leg is available.

5 Likes

The narrow leg is apparently not available in the U.S. I asked my dealer, who was told by Focal-Naim America there is no such thing. I have gotten nowhere since.

No one seems to know a part number I can give to dealer to ask again.

Hi @JosquinDesPrez ,

The narrow leg will be available in all markets. Here’s some part numbers:

8 Likes

Perfect. Thank you for the part #s

Same here, Sonority platforms for the Fraim, even though I don’t use them anymore as they “hinder” the PRAT characteristic of the 552/500, while improving on other audiophile parameters.
Interesting on the Phoeninet.

Just catching up again with this thread, so apologies for the late post.
No doubt if you have a radikal you are airing it with an LP12.
My dealer for TT, proposed a swap of the TT plug casing - no soldering required - so that the lead exits at right angles. This might be an alternate for you. I suspect most Linn dealers know about this.
I would post a pic, but my Radikal sits on the bottom of stack 2 of 4, so only accessible on Fraim rebuild!

2 Likes

My dealer says that part number (i.e. black) is not in the ordering system (i.e. Focal-Naim America).

So, my previous statement stands. This is apparently not available in the U.S. unfortunately, at least not currently.

Just to clarify on this point, these legs are only in the “short” (or std) height.
Here is a response I got from Naim: “there are the narrow legs (designed for the new 200 series and easier access to the Burndys, but they only come in the short (or Standard) length. Part number 13-004-0763”

It may have already been stated in the thread, but thought I’d highlight it (as I hadn’t caught it :slight_smile: )

It was - take a gander at posts 8 thru’ 10; I also raised the question re colour options in post 11 above.
Search is a very useful function, ime.