Furutech Discussion

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Is that cable on the left legal in your country ?

Here in the UK you cannot use a male to male plug as you can electrocute yourself (or someone else) by touching the pins on the end that isn’t plugged into the wall/power block.

3 Likes

Might be a spot the deliberate mistake. :thinking:

I tried out the Furutech Nano Liquid this week. It worked well, i believe, on my etherent plugs to and from the router. Then i felt daring and aplied it to the Chord Tuned Array Signature Snaic between 282 and Hicap and the Chord Tuned Array Signature cable from Hicap to 250 Dr. Because i always felt that while the Chord cables provided more spatial depth, they had a bit less detail and grunt than the original Snaics. My hope was that by treating the contacts with the Furutech, I could gain some more detail and grunt. Also applied it to the speaker connects into the 250. The sound became stangely out of balance. Like the mids suffered a bit and the lows and highs were emphasized. Cannot really explain it. Now i cleaned everything with 99% Alcohol. Sounds ok again i think. Hope i did not mess up the din sockets. They cannot be cleaned. Puh… Stupid idea in the first place.

1 Like

Hi All, can i ask for your advice on fitting Furutech plugs on Audioquest cables?

My Audioquest Niagara 3000 is connected to a Furutech Rhodium mains socket with a Audioquest Monsoon. I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to change the Monsoon plug with a Rhodium plug from Furutech. Has anyone done such a manipulation on Audioquest cables? Audioquest claims to have some sort of noise dissipation in place. Sounds complicated to connect to a new plug?

I would avoid that. You will basically have to cut the connector off since it is moulded onto the cable. It will be a big mess.

I would instead evaluate other brands of power cord if you are unhappy with monsoon.

2 Likes

Thanks! Cannot really say i am unhappy with the Monsoon. System sounds very nice. But there is this itch :smile:
Would have been smarter to by cables where the plugs can be changed. I may try an upgrade mains cable some time in the future.

I agree with @Blackbird, the outer sleeving will fray and be difficult to tidy up neatly.

1 Like

Since you recommended not to hamper with Audioquest Monsoon, i unleashed my energy on silver soldering a Furutech Rhodium 4.4 mm balanced plug on a stock Hifiman 1000 SE cable. Incredible how much better the sound has become.

3 Likes

It is rather interesting how much impact on sound a connector can actually have. If I hadn’t experienced for myself, I would find it hard to believe as well. As I’ve said a number of times before in this thread, once you get to a certain quality level in the wire, the general thought is that the ends themselves will have more impact on sound then the wire. With the different DIY combos I’ve tried over the years, I would have to agree with this as well.

Unrelated, but I’m thinking that my next Furutech based upgrade will be on a new powerbar. Currently running a nice DIY unit that contains one GTX-D NCF R outlet (the other 2 are Cyro treated Hubbells), I’d like to swap all outlets to the GTX-D NCF so I’m leaning towards a local supplier, Audio Sensibility & their Statement SE NCF power distribution bar. Its machined out of a solid block of aluminum, all GTX-D NCF outlets & the matching top of the line NCF IEC inlet, star wired with OCC copper, has several different technologies to help eliminate EMI/RFI & mechanical vibrations & is finished of with Stillpoints Ultra mini feet. Looks like a really nice put together package. Currently just have my DAC & phono stage plugged into the GTX-D NCF outlet so this will allow my SCDR & 300DR to be plugged into a GTX-D NCF as well, I will see what sort of changes this brings & then likely swap my two stock powerline ends on the SCDR & 300DR for the FI-50 NCF R ends.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at this one lately as well. It has all the Furutech goodness and some extras. I’m still torn about mixing plates as I have Naim Powerlines. Anyway, I look forward to reading about your experience with it.

I wouldn’t be concerned, North American PL’s just use a cheap unplated wattgate, while I haven’t specifically plugged a powerline into a GTX-D NCF outlet, I have plugged other cords in that used similar unplated ends & the benefit of the GTX-D NCF far outweighed any potential conflict from plating not matching.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m likely being irrational tbh. I currently have my AVOptions power strip with an inexpensive wattgate plug and it sounds fantastic into the GTX-D NCF outlet.

Interesting company that i did not know before. They seem to have a reasonable pricing model for their cables. Their power distribution bar is quite expensive while having no active power conditioning. The design and construction is very nice. Very curious to hear about your experience if you decide to get one.

The Furutech connector effect on the Hifiman cable shocked me tbh. Did not expect such an impact.

Yes, will try not to get too far off topic but Audio Sensibility is local to me, & the owner Steve is great to deal with & is rather knowledgeable in most things audio. They typically try to offer great price vs performance, he too is a big fan of the top of the line NCF stuff & the connectors as well but adding them to his cable offerings would greatly increase their price & put them in a price point above where most of his customers are looking. As far as I know, if you are interested in one of his cables but would prefer to substitute say a FI-50 NCF R connector at an up charge, I believe this is something he would do. As a Furutech dealer, I do get all my DIY parts from him.

In regards to his power distribution, if you price out the actual components that are put into these, while on the more expensive side, they too are actually priced rather well for what you’re getting. As far as active power conditioning, that seems to be a mixed subject when it comes to audiophiles & maybe even more so when paired with Naim. Many of them do more harm then good. AQ & Puritan audio seem to have their fans on here but even with them, some aren’t fans. If you’ve never heard any of the Furutech products that have their NCF technologies incorporated into them, I’d recommend a listen, it can be rather shocking how this cleans up powerline noise without any of the downfalls typically associated with power conditioning. So while the Audio Sensibility power unit has no active power conditioning, the use of NCF products, as well as EMI/RFI & mechanical/vibration dampening, will clean up the incoming power.

2 Likes

Very interesting. The Audioquest 3000 worked well in my system but i’d love to try a passive solution instead. Unfortunately, i am far away, in Europe…

1 Like