Genesis is the best musical group of all time

Ha! But Lieutenant Pigeon are clearly even better than the mighty Shakatak.

I think this thread might have been derailed.

I’ve no Genesis albums. I did like Follow You Follow Me that I recorded on a BASF C-90 from Radio (1978 google informs me).

An algorithm may well indicate that Genesis were best but thankfully algorithms don’t (yet) rule the world.

I’ve no issue with Genesis being someone’s favourite band. Suggesting they are the best ( musical) is spurious, facile and obviously untrue.

Also I can’t understand the apparent animosity towards the Nolan Sisters but that’s another story.

.sjb

2 Likes

Yes agreed 78 or 79. Still love my Prog but I was also drawn to New Wave. One of the best concerts at around the same time as that Hackett one, which has to be in my top 10 of all concerts, was Talking Heads at Hammersmith Palais.

I would like to state categorically that I saw kid creole and his coconuts around about 1982 at the Lyceum. There said it, and nobody can utter a word of disagreement. I am also happy that genesis were not supporting that particular night.

i’m jealous in a way
you have a treasure of amazing music yet to be discovered

1 Like

i agree, such is life

you’re not wrong about that

the Beatles are almost in a class all their own but genesis is still better
as for the rest…meh, hardly top 10 (except Joni who wouldn’t crack the top 1000)

none of those are “groups” and also…no, not even close

think of it as an “if you can only take one group’s collection to a desert island” kind of thing

Seriously Fatcat? It reminds me elevator music :weary:

Accepting that this thread is a wind up and presumably intended as a bit of fun…

You have introduced a new criterion here and I’m afraid that music, like the other arts, sits in a different place than an MS Excel workbook. You can add row after row of reasons justifying numerically why one band or artist is the best; but I think this somewhat misses the point of emotional connection which is unique to us all. It’s why, for example, hungryhalibut may get a little excited if I suggest negative sentiment about The Smiths on a particular day of the week.

Personally I enjoyed the post Peter Gabriel Genesis. The music was enjoyable and I have several of their albums. Adding more stats to that mythical Excel workbook you have been labouring on. However, the thing with Genesis I find/ found; is that I have never really had any emotional attachment to their songs. For me, that is a key differentiator between good and great and I’m not really sure into which row of your workbook that would best fit.

Peter

Anything with Miles is usually excellent.

1 Like

As someone who has never knowingly listened to a Genesis album, or been especially tempted to, I’m happy to be a guinea pig of sorts. I’m not particularly pro-prog, but neither am I virulently ideologically opposed to it, like some superannuated former punks are (deliberate troll warning: please ignore).

So, if one of the pro-Genesis camp can suggest the one album I should listen to in order to be convinced of their point of view, I’ll give it a click on Spotify when I have chance and get back to you.

Obviously, this single data point will definitively settle the debate. You’re welcome.

Mark

2 Likes

This is the best thread of all time :grinning:

3 Likes

Personal musical taste obviously is significant in different people’s consideration of best - but aside from that I struggle with the very concept of ‘best musical group’. Even among my own collection I would not attempt to assign best, while favourite depends on mood,

To me Genesis peaked with Lamb lies down, a longstanding favourite album in my collection, and I completely lost interest in their output within a few years.

If I was to pick out best live band I have seen, I think I’d go for The Who at the time of release of Who’s Next, their energy and music gelling in a way that is rare. And yes’ I have seen Genesis, performing Lamb at the time of its original release. One band that struck me with their impeccable timing - before the days of wearing headsets as some do these days, was PFM: As an example they came in absolutely together after any pause in the music, with no audible or visible time count by any member of the band as is common.

Mark - Try This

I wouldn’t get excited, merely rueful that someone was missing out on the joy of listening to the best band ever… Seriously though, I’d never claim any band to be the best. Best in this context is undefinable.

This ‘superannuated punk’ is currently listening to Beethoven - best composer of the year in 1820 music awards.

1 Like

Elevator music…ELEVATOR MUSIC!! How very dare you dis the Shakatak!!

5 Likes

This is an big favourite of mine too. I was introduced to Genesis by my big sister when I was in my early teens. I’ve somehow ended up hanging on to her copy of this album, a 1976 pressing which is fine condition.

1 Like