Grandchildren and tweeters aren’t compatible

My grandpa told me off when I was tiny and playing around with the powerpoint behind the TV. Well thats how I remembered it. Of course I fully comprehend later it was dangerous but I still remember him as a stern grandpa.

@Dashing , I hope you manage to fix it. Silk dome / caps are so much easier to fix or resilient against being pushed in.

See you had to protect your stuff, just telling them to keep away isn’t enough. Kids are both inquisitive and rebellious (often at the same time). Once they get around 5 or so you do have a better chance of “training” them but until then you need eyes in the back of your head. Prevention is the safest way imo.

1 Like

I agree prevention is best way, and of course if They are very young absolutely no blame can be attached, those dratted little !!???s… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yep I’ve got 11 of the buggers don’t want them ganging up on pop. I’m also sure Mrs Pete would be on their side as well.

1 Like

How misleading. The picture shows a metal tweeter but actual video shows silk dome and I am doubtful this technique works on metal dome. Still might be worth a try, and please post pics.

The safest way is the vacuum cleaner.

I’ve popped tweeters back out a few times with a vacuum cleaner, or a piece of duct tape.
I’m currently in the process of attaching some 3 inch round sections of 1/4" x 1/4" stiff screening, over some tweeters in a pair of Polk speakers tthat I’m giving to my daughter, along with a classic NAD receiver.
The dome tweeters sit less than 1/4" inside the grill cloth, so they get pushed in so easily with the grills in place. It’s an excellent tweeter tho, so it’s worth the trouble.

I wonder if the stiff screening has any effect on SQ. There are plenty of round metal grill of various sizes intended for car audio that could fit this purpose albeit not for B&W.

honjie3in

Sadly they have a very large impact. In fact the tweeter grilles are often selected carefully on some loudspeakers because they totally change the off-axis response. At best, you are likely to get a -5db drop in response. At worst, a very different soundstage.

The the 1/4" dimension I mentioned iz the size of the square holes in the screen, so no, there is absolutely no audible difference, with or without the screens. I tested this beforehand. The screen is very stiff and needs to be formed to a slight convex shape before fastening it over the tweeter.
I have some Canton speakers as well, and the tweeters in them already have the same stiff screening over them from the factory.

Not sure which bit? I’m guessing my use of the word discipline, as the meaning could be misconstrued. For me in this context it means bringing children up to know the boundaries and respect them, not run amok out of control, as seems all too common with children these days from what I’ve seen and and what I’ve heard from teachers. (And this is NOT making any inference whatsoever about the way any of the children referenced by others in this thread have been brought up.) Meanwhile the other parts of that post did recognise that regardless of how well behaved children may be, natural inquisitiveness or exuberance can result in accidents to delicate things.

1 Like

Not all children can learn discipline. My eldest totally responded to a talk on boundaries and respect and consequences. My youngest has always been "it’s my way or the highway dad. And is so far incapable of learning from punishment. Cause and effect mean nothing to him. Both kids got the same treatment. Different outcomes.

Now some parents do let their little goblins go wild. Others just have some very challenging little ones that go through what can best be described as turd phase. And you’re bloody helpless at those times. And your tweeters fear for their lives.

I don’t disagree: One of ours would always do what he wanted to do regardless of any approach we used to get him to learn to do otherwise. It took me to the brink on a few occasions, to the point where I could understand how easy it would be for someone to lose control themselves. However although he was the one who destroyed a cartridge, nothing he ever did was with malice: all he had wanted to do on that occasion was put some music on like daddy had done… Not something I could be angry over, though at the time I couldn’t afford a replacement so had to use an old cartridge for a while.

1 Like

A friend of ours had just bought a new car, a beautiful red Alfa the first new car he ever owned. His 3 year old son took to it with a rock and drew on every panel except the roof.

2 Likes

Oddly enough my destructive yougest is also the purist. But I’ve had to just leave the room for his own safety at times. Certainly, during very public meltdowns with a hundred judging eyes, I contemplated faking a trip to the loo where I’d get a taxi to the airport and buy a one way ticket to Fiji. He’s ripped the drawer out of 3 blue ray players.

I’d give him a crowbar to play with but he’d only break it somehow.

My PMC Twenty5.23s look like they’ve been dropped down the stairs. All little one damage. The estate agent took $100k off the value of our flat due to the amount of damage he’d done.

Luckily my tube amp is hot enough to fry an egg. He did actually learn that lesson.

Sadly if it’s an aluminium dome, you may never get back the smooth profile, if the material has yielded.

I’ve sucessfully used a vacuum cleaner on paper domes, after my kids pushed them in. I found it worked if the vacuum nozzle was the same diameter. A Dyson is pretty good and although they have incredible suction, the old ones at least, had a safety valve so you couldn’t literally suck an eyeball out. Therefore, if you put your hand over the tube and block off the airflow completely, it automatically reduces suction.

For non Dysons I’d fashion an adapter with a toilet roll and punch some holes in the side to aleviate the suction. Or pulse the vacuum cleaner on/off.

Good luck!

1 Like

My tweeters are fine :v:

6 Likes

Thank you. I’ve yet to pluck up courage we also have one of those battery operated Vax hand held cleaners. I probably use that. The count down has started. If I make a mess, I’ll be listening on headphones for the foreseeable future.
Fingers crossed. :sweat_smile:
Dashing

Yes, but make sure any kids don’t have access to a pogo stick. :smiley:
Dashing

2 Likes

Right, the handheld battery operated one didn’t do anything.
I decided to use the Dyson along with a card toilet roll centre. The card tube collapsed on applying the vac.
Last of all, the Dyson applied directly. When it started pulling the foam surrounding the tweeter away, I chickened out.
I’ll live with them
Dashing

1 Like