Greatest Male/Female Vocal Performances

This thread is for you all to pick and discuss your favourite, greatest vocal performances and we are discussing an individual song or maybe LP but not careers.

I’ll kick off with Linda Womack on the LP Love Wars released with her husband Cecil Womack tracks like Catch And Don’t Look Back, Baby I’m Scared of You and Woman are just effortless. Linda hasn’t maybe had the career she could have had in my view subsequent Womack & Womack records except maybe parts of Conscience never came close but Love Wars is a record I play constantly and have done since my mid teens.

Linda was the daughter of Sam Cooke and step daughter of Bobby Womack who then married Bobby’s little brother Cecil so a real if slightly unusual family vocal pedigree but the duets on Love Wars with Cecil where just brilliant.

And if you care about such things Love Wars was mastered by Bernie Grundman and sounds incredible on a decent record player.

1 Like

No preamble or intro needed for this one Smokey Robinson - Tears of a Clown.

4 Likes

Two from left field from me.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Musst Musst (song and album). Listen to it if you haven’t.

Strange, ecstatic, a pure voice unencumbered (for most of us) by any comprehension of the lyrics.

Second pick Leonard Cohen on ‘You Want It Darker’. Technically he really cannot sing any more. He is dying. He knows it, so do we. Faith, doubt etc. An achingly amazing performance.

Bruce

5 Likes

Good morning Bob,

Good thread!

For me a front-runner would be Wild is the Wind - David Bowie on Station to Station.

Best wishes,

Brian D.

3 Likes

Sandy Denny - Who Knows Where the Time Goes. Hard to imagine anyone singing it better.

5 Likes

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
George Michael …
Roberta a close second.

1 Like

Matched only by the demo version of “No End” from “I’ve always kept a Unicorn”

1 Like

Saw Peggy Seeger sing it in a folk club. It was written for her by her husband, Ewan MacColl, who was a fine singer himself. He sang Dirty Old Town which no-one could do better.

3 Likes

K D Lang Redemption double cd a woman at her peak described by Tony Bennett as the best

2 Likes

Linda Thompson - Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed…

From the Richard & Linda LP Shoot Out The Lights

2 Likes

Not sure I can choose one. If I did it would probably be by Paul Rodgers, but I would go doolally trying to choose one.

1 Like

His version of Bonnie Rait’s I Can’t Make You Love Me is pretty special too.

2 Likes

Banks of the Nile - Sandy Denny with Fotheringay, 1970. One of my Desert Island discs!

2 Likes

I think Eva Cassidy sings it better

They both had great voices but Richard Thompson’s guitar accompaniment is absolutely sublime which gives Sandy the edge for me.

3 Likes

The Carpenters version of Sedaka’s Solitaire. Karens voice is sublime!

2 Likes

Otis Redding You Don’t Miss Your Water.

Did Otis make a bad record? It’s hard to single one out but this track taken from Otis Blue, Otis Redding Sings Soul is just on a whole other level to other male vocalists.

2 Likes

Not often in most peoples greatest singers lists but David Byrne’s vocal on
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) is very, very good.

3 Likes

Another singer not usually in peoples greatest singers is Paul Weller and although probably my least favourite of his first three solo records his vocals on Stanley Road are faultless.

1 Like

Yep the answer is definitely Bowie - Wild is The Wind.

3 Likes