Help my Naim is leaking

I decided to upgrade my SN3 power amp for a NAP 250 DR which was discounted due to being both OC and cement coloured. Now I have just received it and there is an oil (I think) leak coming out from the bottom of the 250 DR. Any idea what this is and whether I should even plug it in or send straight back. Pictures below and ideas gratefully received.

Looks like the cooling oil has leaked from the transformers. :scream:

1 Like

Have you checked the serial number to verify that it at least seems possibly a genuine Naim product?

1 Like

Certainly will be genuine. No-one trying to counterfeit would ever choose concrete over black!

In any case it needs to go back to the dealer asap.

5 Likes

I’m unaware of toroidal transformers such as used in this having oil cooling - but I admit to not being familiar with Naim’s transformers.

1 Like

It’s the area under where the transistors and cooling blocks are bolted down into the chassis. Exposed to serious sun light and heat? I have no idea what the melting point is for the paste between transistors and heat sink but that’s the only thing I can think of if it’s not a blown capacitor leaking.

2 Likes

Yes it is genuine or a really elaborate fraud involving someone impersonating a Naim dealers website, answering the telephone and speaking German and knowing about Naim products and offering counterfeit versions of a poorly received product :joy: Appreciate this is always possible but I think we can rule it out.

2 Likes

Weird to have a leak there then ?? @Richard.Dane any ideas ?

Believe there can be something used between Power Transistors and their Heat Sinks…?

Think it can be Silicone based - so Silicone oil or grease…?

Google says -

What is heat sink compound? Heat sink compound (also called thermal grease, thermal compound, CPU grease, heat paste, heat sink paste, and thermal interface material) is a sticky paste that’s used as an interface between CPU heat sinks and heat sources .

1 Like

The leak may just be where there is a route out. Doesn’t mean that’s where the oil is coming from (if it is oil). Maybe it’s a leaking electrolytic.

2 Likes

Yes this. I would return it if I purchased this from a dealer. Not acceptable.

But it’s white not brown.

1 Like

The location of the leak suggests its heatsink related… :thinking:

1 Like

As I mentioned before, where it’s coming out doesn’t necessarily mean anything except that is where the hole is!

2 Likes

It may be from the thermal grease - there has to be some between the chassis tray and the cover as the latter acts as a heatsink. Otherwise, one for @NeilS I think…

2 Likes

IB, I think Skeptical said this rather tongue in cheek.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard - it certainly could be grease. Question is what to do ? I will wait for @NeilS before doing anything as I don’t want to turn it on before being told it is ok to do so. I will also send the dealer the pictures and let him know that I might well send it back. Of course the problem is that there is only a refund available as the dealer has no more cement coloured 250’s and I really want a new one to avoid recapping as long as possible. But damaged goods need to go back in any case.

I will also say the concrete is no where near as bad as people suggest. I rather like it if truth be told.

This is just thermal grease … nothing to worry about if you ask me.

3 Likes

Naim’s transformers are not oil cooled… :expressionless:

I am very sure of this.

1 Like