Here we go its vinyl time

Thanks, but the dealer can take my Rp10 / Delos in part as exchange, if I buy a new deck from him. Then it can make me 5% for the total price.
The other solution is to sell my Rp10/ Delos and wait several months for the selling. Then buy elsewhere.
I prefer the first solution.

Oh how we would laff if it sounded better than what you have :joy::joy:

It sounds better, it’s a Lp12 karoussel inside :joy::joy::joy:

Or a Garrard 301

Claude

1 Like

Eventually you’ll see the LP12 light FR. It’s inevitable
 :smiley::smiley:

Looking forward to seeing you on the ‘Show us your Sondek’ thread. :wink:

2 Likes

Personally, I would be wary of deciding which is the better sound. My description would be:
The P10 is the more agile sound

the LP12 is the more heavyweight sound (I have never heard Klimax LP12 though).
I prefer the agility, but it is a matter of choice.

I compared once Rega P9 / Lyra cart/ Rega IOS reference vs top Lp12 some years ago( 15 years ago).
I couldn’t find that the more than twice expensive Lp12 sounded better. Different, yes.
I then bought an SME 20/2 SME V. For me the level of sound was really at much higher step. From the first seconds.

I accept this fate! Just need a good strategy, a set of rules to keep myself in check and I will be fine :sunglasses:

Thank you fr!

1 Like

1.9 or close to it is what I have been reading as well, thank you for the help.

FR as you’re a jazz lover, I think you should listen to a current Klimax LP12 before buying anything else. Based om my experience it is vastly different from the deck you heard 15 years ago. Then at least you’ll know for sure.

Claude

1 Like

Indeed, I have never known Linn to offer an upgrade that is not a substantial improvement over what preceded it.

although I do not agree that one TT is better at certain genres. Music is music!

1 Like

That’s not what I meant, although it may have sounded like that.

I was trying to say that recent LP12 upgrades make a substantial difference in its ability to play acoustic music like jazz and classical, and that since FR is a jazz connoisseur he would benefit from them.

Claude

Hi Claude
Just cordial disagreement
my thoughts are that better is better, no matter what genre. So an improvement should be manifest in whatever you listen to, with no bias(!).
I will make one exception
no Rap enters chez nous.

Even if it’s different, I would never pay 15 k ( without cart and phono) for a vintage turbo charged deck. Sorry to say.
Bluesfan has the Vertere and puts prat as one the most important aspect. And the Vertere costs 8,5 k euros.
The P10 and Rp10 have a Prat to die for too.

1 Like

What this thread is showing, above all else I think, is how much personal taste comes into the equation; which I guess isn’t a huge surprise!

I’ve recently made the move from LP12 to P10 and could not be happier. I bought the LP12 off a mate at mid 80’s spec, with an Ittok and Lingo 1, upgraded to Cirkus, Lingo 4, Krystal and finally Karousel, Radikal and AO PU7. At some point after doing that, I realised I was listening to my NDS (with 2x555PSDR) far more and was much preferring the sound. I found a small percentage of my records sounded absolutely amazing on the LP12, but far too many others just didn’t sound, ‘right’ (to my ears, of course).

I called my excellent dealer and explained this to him. He said he had a brand new P10 that he could send me, on the basis that it was plug and play and easy to ship, so that I could at least have a benchmark to compare the LP12 against.

Well, and I stress this is my opinion, in the context of my room and system, the Rega is far and away more enjoyable to listen to. ALL of my LPs now sound great and its ability to dig out details from the groove and boogie is way ahead of what the LP12 was doing. The Linn sounded very ‘polite’ in comparison.

I don’t believe direct comparison between vinyl and digital sources is helpful; they both present the music differently but in the context of my room and system, the Rega stands up very well to my digital front end.

I have a mate with a Klimax LP12/Aro and I very much enjoy listening to his system on occasion and I am absolutely not LP12 bashing - I loved mine in it’s earlier guise - but something about the more modern set-up lost me, musically.

For me, the P10 does everything that I hoped a modern record player would do - crucially, it is musically engaging and involving which ultimately, for me at least, is what home audio should be. I am also not spending time worrying whether the set up is right!

For what it’s worth @frenchrooster I did some of the LP12 upgrades based on word of mouth, reviews, etc. and ended up not liking the result. I made damn sure I listened to the Rega before making the decision to buy and am really glad I did.

I totally ‘get’ that Dunc wants to tinker more and play around with cartridges and arm height etc. but I wanted the opposite and the Rega gives me that. Are there ‘better’ turntables out there? Undoubtedly but I don’t have the time or inclination to explore every possible option. Cost is also a consideration and pound for pound, I think the Rega would be hard to beat without spending significantly more, which I can’t/don’t want, to do.

As a bonus, I made money on the sale of the LP12, which I am now happily spending on new records!

Cheers,

Ian

6 Likes

I tend to agree globally with you. I think today an Lp12 , despite sounding very musical, is much too overpriced. It’s funny even. For that kind of money you can have a Kronos Sparta, Avid Acutus Sp, Vertere SG1, SME 20/3
These tables leave a full spec Lp12 in the dust.
I am not decided completely between a P10/ Lyra Kleos and Vertere Mg1/ same cart. But both turntables are not really upgradable, which pleases me ( outside some phono cables).
The P10 has two weaknesses : not the nicest looking turntable. And the difficulty to choose other carts than the Rega. I don’t like the Aphelion 2 particularly.
But the musicality of the Rega, specially with jazz recordings from the 70’s, is very very addictive. However the Vertere seems to have a bit more refinement and possibilities for cartridges.

1 Like

As i said, the plug and play was a big advantage for me at the start, plus the P10 is a great sounding turntable and is good value.
But what I first found as a plus point, has now turned into a big negative point, if you want to look more deeply into vinyl then the rega isn’t the way to go.
I wanted to try and get a sound that would beat my rossini, the P10 couldn’t do that for me, with the rega cartridges and so my journey started, luckily for me the journey was very short.

4 Likes

Sorry about that FR. You are absolutely spot on about how important timing is to my emotional connection with the music that is being played. On that note, I may be about to do something far worse than to prefer a Vertere turntable to an LP12.

Best regards, BF

Thanks Bluesfan.
But why you said « sorry « ?