Hicap DR on SN2 or XPS DR on NDX2?

The specs say the XPS-DR is 12.4 kg. I might be getting old, but it feels much heavier than that.

1 Like

Enjoy it. Be prepared for a few ups and downs while it settles in. At least that was my experience.

1 Like

Thanks Marcus.

1 Like

12,5 kg. I would not guessed, because I have the 555 dr and can lift it easily. It should be heavier vs the XPS dr.
Maybe I get stronger as being older?

Maybe you are getting stronger! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am finding the XPS-DR to be a significant upgrade to my NDX2!
Bass: More solid and punchy, with a bit more texture.
Midrange: Voices have more body and are more focused. Stringed instruments have a more natural tone.
Highs: The highs are less grainy. Cymbal hits sound more natural and have more realistic decay.
Overall, the balance is much the same, but there is more of everything. The music sounds more 3D and less flat. I am very happy with this upgrade!

10 Likes

Superb stuff Daniel. Enjoy! :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen!

2 Likes

Rebuilding the brawn side of a Fraim is a very well known training regimen for building core strength. I use it for cycling.

2 Likes

This is how I managed to plug my Burndy. It has 2 loops and is stiff.
Should i try and get it U shaped with just one loop?

I have redressed the cable. It now comes down from the NDX2, loops in a U shape and plugs into the XPS-DR. It feels looser than it was. It is not touching the wall or any other cable. I will listen and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I asked at the beginning of this thread which was the better upgrade: Hicap DR on SN2 or XPS-DR on NDX 2.
After realising the positive effects of adding the XPS-DR to my NDX 2, I have now ordered a Hicap DR for my SN2!

10 Likes

Ah yes the expected result. The forum keeps doing its thing. Now… have you heard the 282?

1 Like

Ha ha! It’s not the forum so much, but my ears! I heard the difference an XPS-DR did to my NDX 2. I can only imagine what a Hicap DR can do to my SN2.

As for the 282 and 250 combo; I know these are famous last words, but no! They are out of my budget.

Famous last words I know, but after the Hicap-DR, I am at the end of my road. No, really!

6 Likes

My NDX + SN2 + HicapDR sounded great for eight years. Only the boredom imposed by covid (I haven’t left my home since February 2020) got me back into the madness.

Never heard the SN2 without a hicap but I’m sure it’ll be a nice upgrade.

I’m so curious to hear how you find the addition of a HiCap DR. I recently added an XPS DR to my NDX 2 and was astonished and delighted at how transformative a change that is. I, too, am running it with a SuperNait 2 so am thinking a HiCap could be my next upgrade as well. At this point, however, I am just loving the music coming from my system which is totally engaging. Please do post your findings.

3 Likes

That’s a cracking system you have there Daniel and long may you have years of utter musical joy! I have the same system as yourself and have no urges to upgrade. Both the XPS DR and HiCap DR, in this system combined, really do lift things into the high-end. Enjoy! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When I had a NDX 2 > SN 2 I added a XPS DR to the NDX 2 and for me was a huge upgrade. I added the HicapDR 6 months later and it was moderate upgrade. My system, My room, My ears…

JMHO - YMMV

6 Likes

I will post my findings, count on it! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you Stephen.

1 Like