Hicap DR on SN2 or XPS DR on NDX2?

I have redressed the cable. It now comes down from the NDX2, loops in a U shape and plugs into the XPS-DR. It feels looser than it was. It is not touching the wall or any other cable. I will listen and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I asked at the beginning of this thread which was the better upgrade: Hicap DR on SN2 or XPS-DR on NDX 2.
After realising the positive effects of adding the XPS-DR to my NDX 2, I have now ordered a Hicap DR for my SN2!

10 Likes

Ah yes the expected result. The forum keeps doing its thing. Nowā€¦ have you heard the 282?

1 Like

Ha ha! Itā€™s not the forum so much, but my ears! I heard the difference an XPS-DR did to my NDX 2. I can only imagine what a Hicap DR can do to my SN2.

As for the 282 and 250 combo; I know these are famous last words, but no! They are out of my budget.

Famous last words I know, but after the Hicap-DR, I am at the end of my road. No, really!

6 Likes

My NDX + SN2 + HicapDR sounded great for eight years. Only the boredom imposed by covid (I havenā€™t left my home since February 2020) got me back into the madness.

Never heard the SN2 without a hicap but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be a nice upgrade.

Iā€™m so curious to hear how you find the addition of a HiCap DR. I recently added an XPS DR to my NDX 2 and was astonished and delighted at how transformative a change that is. I, too, am running it with a SuperNait 2 so am thinking a HiCap could be my next upgrade as well. At this point, however, I am just loving the music coming from my system which is totally engaging. Please do post your findings.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a cracking system you have there Daniel and long may you have years of utter musical joy! I have the same system as yourself and have no urges to upgrade. Both the XPS DR and HiCap DR, in this system combined, really do lift things into the high-end. Enjoy! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When I had a NDX 2 > SN 2 I added a XPS DR to the NDX 2 and for me was a huge upgrade. I added the HicapDR 6 months later and it was moderate upgrade. My system, My room, My earsā€¦

JMHO - YMMV

6 Likes

I will post my findings, count on it! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you Stephen.

1 Like

Thanks!

I got my Hicap DR today, along with a Powerline and an additional Snaic cable to plug it into my SN2. Impressions to follow in the following days.

10 Likes

Might take a month.

Is it worth buying Powerline for HiCap / XPS? Or is it better to choose a better DIN cable between SN2 / SN3 and NDX2 instead?

If someone has such experience, could you share your impression of the comparison:

1. SN vs SN + PowerLine vs SN + HiCap vs SN + HiCap + Powerlines
  2. NDX2 vs NDX2 + Powerline vs NDX2 + XPS vs NDX2 + XPS + Powerline

My advice would be donā€™t even think about upgrading cables until you have the PSU upgrades in place. Even then, try the expensive cables before you buy them. There has never been a consensus here as to whether or not they improve anything.

Iā€™ve been down this road with a SN2, so I would say my preferred order for improvement versus costs is:

• Add XPS DR to NDX2
  • Upgrade the DIN between the NDX2 and SN2
  • Add Hicap to SN2 (donā€™t know about the SN3 though)
  • Add powerlines to everything at once
4 Likes

Please forgive me for asking the question I always ask: do you already have dedicated mains? This, in my view, come before Powerlines. Nice clean quiet mains makes a real difference.

The other question I always ask is whether you have a decent stand for the system to sit on? This generally makes far more difference than fancy cables.

2 Likes

^^^
Amen. Dedicated mains will improve just about every aspect over any cable(s), IMO, and itā€™ll cost a lot less. Mitigating noise is the key Iā€™m coming to believe. It isnā€™t as glamorous or exciting as new cables or tweaks, but it is effective and accomplishes getting a huge leap closer to what weā€™re all setting out to achieve in the first place.

1 Like

Absolutely. Itā€™s quite often we read of people with Ā£100k systems running off the ring main. Dedicated mains is rather dull, but itā€™s one of the foundations for good performance.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the Official Katzky2021 ā€œAll Naimā€ Upgrade Path

Starting with SNx & NDX2

1. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  2. Powerlines
  3. SL Din ā†’ Din
  4. XPS
  5. Hicap
  6. 282
  7. 250
  8. Fraim
  9. 555 PS