Hicap DR on SN2 or XPS DR on NDX2?

My dealer confirmed that the Burndy cable is included. He also confirmed the distributor has some XPS DRs in stock. :thinking:

1 Like

The 555PS doesn’t come with a Burndy so you’d have to factor that in if you were to go down that route. They are generally around £200 used on the popular auction site…

FWIW I’d personally suggest that NDX2/555PS DR/SN2 is better than NDX2/XPS DR/ SN2/HCDR but YMMV…

Then there’s only one thing to do right here :grin:

2 Likes

I just ordered an XPS-DR! I will have it within a week. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

8 Likes

A question for those of you that bought an XPS-DR new. Can I expect it to improve with burn in?

I am wondering what to expect when I receive it.

1 Like

I found the effect was quite obvious and immediate straight away, it’s a great upgrade. I found it improved a bit over time, but it wasn’t the same long burn in as the NDX2. Enjoy :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Mike!

Lovely upgrade. Bearing in mind the Bunrdy cable will settle in also. Enjoy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Stephen!

I received my XPS-DR today. That thing is heavy! It is built like a tank. I will give my impressions of sound quality in the following days.

2 Likes

The specs say the XPS-DR is 12.4 kg. I might be getting old, but it feels much heavier than that.

1 Like

Enjoy it. Be prepared for a few ups and downs while it settles in. At least that was my experience.

1 Like

Thanks Marcus.

1 Like

12,5 kg. I would not guessed, because I have the 555 dr and can lift it easily. It should be heavier vs the XPS dr.
Maybe I get stronger as being older?

Maybe you are getting stronger! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am finding the XPS-DR to be a significant upgrade to my NDX2!
Bass: More solid and punchy, with a bit more texture.
Midrange: Voices have more body and are more focused. Stringed instruments have a more natural tone.
Highs: The highs are less grainy. Cymbal hits sound more natural and have more realistic decay.
Overall, the balance is much the same, but there is more of everything. The music sounds more 3D and less flat. I am very happy with this upgrade!

10 Likes

Superb stuff Daniel. Enjoy! :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen!

2 Likes

Rebuilding the brawn side of a Fraim is a very well known training regimen for building core strength. I use it for cycling.

2 Likes

This is how I managed to plug my Burndy. It has 2 loops and is stiff.
Should i try and get it U shaped with just one loop?