Hicap DR

A HICAP in need of a service can be very underwhelming, and can actually make things sound worse than without.

3 Likes

Hi Richard.
Didn’t quite understand…
Are you saying that the previous HC2 was in need for service and the current DR one does actually work?

Maybe a non DR HC2 with XS2 doesn’t really make a change in sound while the DR does. Significantly - up to a point where the sound is too big (loud)

A HICAP definitely makes a big difference in a NAIT XS. However, that’s for one that’s fresh or freshly serviced.

5 Likes

So the difference between the previous HC2 and the new HC2-DR, is not necessarily the DR itself but more related to the condition of the Hicap?

How often should you put Naim equipment in service?

After 8-10 years. See the FAQ on here.

4 Likes

You change the Oil in your Car, so… :thinking:

2 Likes

Like Richard said, the readon for such difference was the old one being not in good nick. Granted that the new DR should be better, i don’t think It will be night & day for the parameters you described. If you still own the old one, use It on the source or viceversa

But… Get It Serviced… please.

Of course!

1 Like

P.s. i also found that Powerline gives the XS a nice contribution even without HC

That’s not my experience, at least with XS1. When I put a pre-DR HC on mine, the sound changed dramatically, but not in a way that I enjoyed. I found it rather forced and unrealistic. Your description of the sound as being “tooo big” is a good one. So I don’t think your findings are to do with whether the HC is DR or not, though whether it needs a service will be significant.

Some folk on here do seem to enjoy the NaitXS/HC(DR) combination, but I’m not one of them. I eventually went the SuperNait route.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger.
I now starting to realize that the pre DR HC2 was not really functioning… with the existing DR the sound is much bigger but I do hear many layers and sounds that were hidden before.
So I have decided to let it grow on me and decide later on how to subtle the sound.
I feel that there’s no way back.

Just to point out that a year ago I tried the SN3 and the sound too massive (bass) so I stayed with the XS2.

1 Like

Hi All again.
I am spending some weekend quality time with the new combination- XS2+HC2(DR) with Thorens+Cyrus signature and inode+chord qetest.

Sound is indeed very big but at the same time very detailed. I like the detalis less the big sound.

Is everyone else here have some experience with this configuration? XS2+HC2(DR)

Would appreciate more opinions…

Many :pray:t2:

1 Like

I aslo tried a supernait and prefered the XS2/HCDR combo.
My key to success with the XS2/HCDR combo was definitely speaker choice and system synergy.

Berore happily settling with my current AE509s, I had demoed the XS2/HCDR combo with Spendor D5s and Focal Aria and found the sound unbearable.

IMHO this combo prefer a warmer dynamic sounding speaker.

Wow… thank you for this input.
My combo is with Proac D2Rs… I find them very warm on the bass side with less clarity on the higher notes.
When I hooked them with the SN3 it sounded awful… bass was like washing the floor…

I do hear with my combo more details and bigger sound but it sound like something is not quite subtle on the final experience…

1 Like

Come to think about it… I never replaced the SNAIC cable between the previous HC2 and the current HC2-DER… should it matter?

Like most things in this hobby YMMV(system, room, hearing etc). I have the SN3/HiCapDR combo with Proac D2R’s and for me it’s fantastic. Far from awful.

I did have the XS2/HiCap DR combo previously and thought it was wonderful but my speakers at the time frankly sucked.

2 Likes

Have you tried the SN3 and D2Rs by themselves? Without the HC2?
Wonder how do they sound…

When I tried the SN3 with D2Rs it was either with the unserviced former HC2 and direct and it didn’t sound good…

Could me that my room has mass-sound limitation, hence now the HC2-DR are a bit over louded

1 Like

Yes sir. I ran without a HiCapDr for about 2-3 months while having my HiCapDr serviced. At the time I kept thinking do I really need a Hicap on my SN3 as it sounded that good.

However once I had my serviced HiCapDr back in place after about 1 week I fell back in love with the HiCap back in place. I’d highly recommended having a HiCap serviced when it’s time for it.

3 Likes