High End Munich 2023

Was the demo music from Dr Who. Exterminate :rofl:

3 Likes

Been through a roller press

Some posts seem to have been deleted - one just mentioned who was playing on the Naim demo track shown on the YouTube video - can anyone post it again - a Mercury Prize nominee apparently. I don’t understand why it would have been deleted.

I find the Kharma exceptionally ugly. Tastes differ.

As opposed to the Sonus Faber “Goddesses” we also thought of the Kharma “coffins” :rofl:

On the end of a CDS3 + 552 + 500, the Kharma model that Geoff had sounded very good

2 Likes

Did you maybe see on a different thread like here? The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2 - #489 by Richard.Dane

1 Like

Are you referring to my post over on the New Classic thread?

It was Benjamin Clementine’s Mercury award winning album At Least For Now.

2 Likes

Indeed! Sorry.

1 Like

Good tip. Beautiful recording. Thanks👌

I see Dan D’Agostino is still making amplifiers for Captain Nemo :rofl:

2 Likes

I see quite a few CDPs are being launched!

1 Like

I agree, they are awful. I named them R2 D2 , like the robot in Star Wars.

2 Likes

Davros leader of the Darlick’s is better looking :rofl:
Image from BBC.

8 Likes

I visited the HighEnd in Munich today - this are my impressions.

The new 300er series from Naim sounded really great. A full and loving sound - wow! At my last visits at the HighEnd I wasn’t a really big fan of the Focal Speakers - but not today - the new 300er series with the Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo sounded really balanced, big, friendly - very “live”.

But.

Nearly more impressed I was from the other combination at the Naim showroom - there played the combination of (!) Uniti Star with Focal Vestia Nr. 3. Certainly not so big as the other demonstration - but I was very kenn and thrilled. A perfect combination!

What I didn’t like - but it applied for the whole HighEnd. In every showroom was playing the (nearly) same music - what’s the point of that! All was very vocality - woman’s voice - man’s voice … voice. I heard no guitars, no rock music, no metal, no pop … just music with big voices. Strange. (Only exception: Totem). At the Naim showroom the same - in the last years I found the Naim shows often very (positively) different - with electronic, rock, metal, voices, classic - and so on - but that’s over now.

What I liked beside Naim / Focal.

The Totem show was small - with very simple / “cheap” speakers (“Bison”) - but I liked it. It sounded really big, lovingly, wonderful. (Ok, I’m Totem Fan and have Totem Hawks at home.)

And.

The combination of “Electrocompaniet” and “AudioPhysics” sounded very good (it was the Avantera). The showroom of “Harbeth” sounded really nice. I loved the sound of “DeVoreFidelity” - the small “Micro” are really brilliant speakers.

The house was full - I have never seen so much people at the HighEnde!

7 Likes

Like Tobin Zoo, I was also at the show, just back again. Will obviously in the coming week write my show report. Found the Naim presentation much better as last year, and enjoyed indeed both systems presented……and like my forum colleague for the first time pleased to hear the combination of the 300 series with Focal…., will come with a much more refined picture of my overall and Naim specific impressions. If everything will be good I also will join tomorrow……, in the meanwhile enjoy some black boxes and a reference system….

12 Likes

Looks like they are biamping the Focals with four 350 monoblocks. Is that correct?

Yes - four boxes having the Focals completely in their grip. The 350 part was for me the most impressive of the black boxes….

1 Like

More likely 2 x PSU’s on streamer and pre

Yes also on the right side 4 times 350 on the left side the ps for pre and streamer.

1 Like

Sorry but possibly being a bit stupid here, but why would Naim want to demo a 300 series system with 4 x 350 mono blocks? What is wrong with the normal mode of just two? If the amps are so fantastic as mentioned on the 300 new series classic thread, then that would be enough. I am not bashing focal but if they don’t work why insist?
In any case I am looking forward to hear the new 300 series in a nicely setup demo soon hopefully.

2 Likes