High End Munich 2023

Great stuff. Thank you so much, @BertBird Really enjoying your reporting again - and really appreciating it.

They look like speakers with built in heaters, or maybe it’s the other way round.

Looks like anyother hifi reviewer found this certain room not as good as normal.

The track I heard was also familiar: Patricia Barber’s “This Town” from Clique . Bass was excellent in both size and strength, albeit with a bit of booming around the edges. Barber’s piano sounded superb, with accurate timbres and overtones. But the breathtaking range of colors and arrestingly open sound I usually experience from this stellar component configuration was MIA. And there you have an object lesson about the cover, ie, the frequently intention-defeating acoustics of the most challenging rooms in the MOC Atrium— the rooms whose front and rear walls are mostly composed of glass, and whose angled ceiling has a diabolical divider cutting across it maybe 1/3 of the way up.

As that system uses top VTL tubes amps, Wilson speakers and Grand Prix audio Monaco turntable ( 20k or more), this system shouldn’t lack emotion, eventually some slam . It’s very probably the room as you reported from another member who was there.

1 Like

Just saw on Analog Planet the new Takumi 3.1 turntable. Very nice looking. And only 2500 euros. The platter is delrin. Picture from the Munich 2023 show.

IMG_2258

14 Likes

It was on stereophile

1 Like

There’s a sort of Bauer meets Brinkmann thing going on with this one. Cheap.

4 Likes

Isn’t the speaker marketing using the term ‘vintage’ as in a wine vintage -eg this is a vintage year for Medoc. But it’s certainly not a very convincing slogan.

Hehe, I agree. The plint of a Bauer combined with a subplatter of a LP12, a platter of a Dr Feikert and a conterweight and armbearing of a Brinkmann, and, and, and…

Really strange. Almost like one of the early chinese recepies for just 2500 bugs

Takumi is a brand from Netherlands.

Project Dark Side of the Moon, at Munich 2023.

6 Likes

That looks very expensive .

ProJect like Naim sometimes like to push boundaries from what people expect

1 Like

That is true and for that reason it surprises me even more.

But for that price it will find a lot of buyers, I guess!?

1 Like

Seems like limited additions is a new marketing scheme. Even Pink Floyd are in a win win situation.
What will they ever think of next🙄

1 Like

I’m not sure whether this has been confirmed for production yet. I guess a case of if enough people want it then they will build it? I think it’s rather fun, and for any DSOTM fanatic, probably something of a “must have” item.

1 Like

It looks like a piece of crap to me. Simply horrible.

6 Likes

Still a 20k amp (not that price necessarily means anything)

Nr 9. Part 1 Nordost

First song from London Grammer - sounds polite but missing a bit the earthy feeling which belongs to it. They use interesting feet to have the devices decoupled from the rack.

3 Likes

I find this frankly bizarre, if you are going to argue cables make a difference, should you then use speakers and electronics few people are likely to be familiar with? How will anyone be able to judge anything?

I’d say, if anything, they gave Orion free, or at least cheap, exposure on the show.

Nr. 9 Part 2 Nordost

Angelique Kidjo, very precise but also very clinical sounding.
Solange, again overall good sound but I am missing something in how the music is brought accross.

2 Likes