How many power supplies you have got

I’ve always wondered… what is a wall wart?
I just assumed it was the same as a socket…

Just the one (555PS for the 272). 3 boxes max, lovely jubbly, never to be exceeded!

3 Likes

Three here all very quiet and well behaved.

1 Like

A wall wart converts mains supply to DC. In the case of my turntable, it’s a 24V DC power supply for the turntable motor.

1 Like

I used to have 10 but tired of the hum.

Now I have 3.

Hans

I interpreted the “will make it four” as you suggesting that. My apologies if I misunderstood, english isn’t my first language.

1 Like

It’s a power supply where the plug is an inherent part of it, i.e. you stick the whole thing into the socket. This as opposed to the plug being attached with a separate wire.
Most consumer devices use one for power.

Most are switching, hence people tend to dislike them for audio, but technically it’s just the form factor, not the technology or quality that’s meant by the term. There are quality and linear wall warts out there.

1 Like

No. I had one, which was nice, tried a PS on it, but felt the improvement was very small and not value for money, so swapped for a no-Naim DAC. That in due course led to change of the Naim renderer stage…

I just wasn’t sure whether the thread starter meant to include wall warts (especially for something like a TT motor wall wart), and is really more interested in Naim PSUs.

Not counting innumerable Wall Warts on all sorts of stuff, wot you could call “dedicated hifi PSUs” (over three systems) are:

Supercaps x 2 (NAC82 & SNAXO)
Hicaps x 2 (Stageline & NAC102)
XPS (nDAC)
NAPSC x 2 (NAC102 & Headline)
NAPSC2 x 2 (NAC82 & Headline 2)
Flatcap (NACD3.5)
Lingo1 (Sondek)
Allo Shanti (USBSig+DigiOneSig - streamer on the Naim System)
Cuinas Audio ISO-PS (RPi+IQAudio Digi+ streamer in the Briks System)
Linn Dirak (Aktiv Isobarik XO in the Briks System)
Meridian 103PS x 2 (103D power amp in SWMBO’s office system)
Musical Fidelity V-PSU1 (V-DAC2, destined for SWMBO’s office system)

And I still have room for another XPS for my CDX. :crazy_face:

Do I need therapy?

1 Like

You have had more PSUs than my dealer ever had Naim boxes in his store.
This power supplies path is well developed by Naim and quite accepted by the fans of the brand.

Two Supercaps (one for NAC52, one for SNAXO242)
One XPS-2 (for nDAC)
Gyropower for Gyrodec (at least I think that’s what it’s called)
Dual linear USB supply for Allo digione signature

Think that’s it…

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in the count of the Naim PSUs. Only one member declared no PSU in his Naim system so far. And he still breaths and is happy with the SQ. All the rest including me, we have 1, 2, 3 or more. Does that mean that a Naim device without additional PSU by Naim is somehow incomplete? I really like my Naim system but sometimes I don’t get the logic behind - for example a ND555 needs 2 PSU for best performance and a non Naim DAC usually (based on the systems of the owners) to reach the best SQ. The ND555 is a HiEnd streamer and DAC alone but it appears that needs at least 3 more HiEnd boxes in order to shine, 2 of which are dedicated power supplies. And a personal Naim Frame eventually.

Thanks @n-lot & @JosquinDesPrez. Now I understand - the big chunky things that used to power my PS One and various Sony stuff. Never heard of a TT using one.

Just one (XPS DR), beauty of a 272/250 combo 3 boxes, excluding the UT2.

Forgot about the NAT 01. So I have gone from 11 to 3.
Hans

Well, you made a huge optimisation.

Sufficient. :grin:

Two. One non-Naim for my turntable and one Naim for the NDS.

A very poignant question, as it is currently influencing my choices back to a Naim streamer. I have…

1 lps to my server/nas
1 lps to my Sonore optical module
1 lps to my Sonore optical rendu
1 lps to my qutest
Plus all the usual Naim supplies thereafter :roll_eyes: