How will a Hicap DR change the character of sound on my SN3?

Ive put a HiCap DR on both a SN2 and a SN3 and both times with very good SQ improvements with better detail and dynamics but mostly much better bass control and response for my large floorstanding speakers.
However for the OP i would initially spend the money on upgrading the streaming source.

6 Likes

@ChrisBell @Bjorn
True!!

When in doubt, go HiCap!

I had a HiCap DR on the SN2. No regrets and improvements as described by others. Now it powers my 282. (And another one on the Superline).

4 Likes

Got HiCap Dr last month for my SN3, as already said there’s no going back. Like having whole new system and speakers.

6 Likes

So what I gather as an answer to my question, the HCDR brings a more detailed sound with more bass control and a broader soundstage.
One says even a little harder sound, another says a more delicate sound.

1 Like

Because surprisingly we all have different room acoustics and different ears (i.e. different hearing) and use different speakers.

In the end you may realise that your initial question was unanswerable or at least the answers would be meaningless.

Generally a power supply improves a Naim product, but can skew a balanced system away from its balance. My instinct is that a SN3 is well designed enough that a power supply upgrade does’t have a huge effect.

As others have said I’d be inclined to look somewhere else in your system if you absolutely must upgrade.

And if you use roon then DSP will give you so much more than a HiCap.

.sjb

3 Likes

Is there any trick to setting up / installing the HCDR, or is it really straightforward?

HCDR is just connecting two cables to the SN, its plug and play nothing more. Some people recommend keeping the HCDR separate to the amp for SQ benefit but i had limited space and found no SQ difference with the HCDR on the top righthand side of my SN2 and SN3 compared to them being separated.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m aware that synergi is important.
For example, when I auditioned SN3 in the shop, it sounded VERY different, compared to in my living room. Different source, different room, different speakers.
But I believe that the addition of HCDR to a SN3 ought to give a similar result, regardless of the rest of the equipment.
So, hence my question.

One other aspect that hasn’t been mentioned which places buying a HiCap less of a decision is the fact that you absolutely need one to upgrade to a 282. If you ever plan to move to separates, this is the next move regardless. I agree that a source upgrade would also benefit the system immensely, but if your goal is to one day move to a 282 then a HiCap is required.

2 Likes

Unless you were to get a NAP 200 or 200DR of course.

2 Likes

While waiting for my HiCap DR to arrive, I’ve looked into the SN3 manual researching how to install it. I found it interesting that power appears to be delivered to the SN3 via the Power Amp In terminal and that the supply sits in between the Pre-out and amp-in, which surprised me as we are adding something new into the middle of the signal chain. What’s Naim’s logic on this? I’m very curious to learn more. (Or do I have this all wrong?)

it does seem counter intuative but its keeps the signal earth arrangement correct. i tried mine with a direct Y cable but it sounded better with the snacs 4 & 5 via the hicap.

5 Likes

Defo :+1:

1 Like

Reminder you’ll need a 4 pin to 4 pin SNAIC DIN cable, the HiCap only comes with the 5 pin to 5 pin SNAIC.

4 Likes

Mr. M, thank you! I’d have received my HCDR and would have been unable to play. The dealer didn’t realize this.

3 Likes

The board members save the day phew!

On the topic, after some months of using an HiCap DR, today I reverted back on the SN3 without the HiCap DR, the sound is not bad, but softer, substancial less resolution and realism, and the size of the image is smaller, everything is less. The HiCap makes a significant change on the SN3

Then gone back to the HiCap after a few albums, and I think it is difficult to go without the HiCap again, is not easy to put in words but the HiCap makes the SN3 a different and more impressive Amp.

When I acquired the HiCap it was new, and I did noticed the uplift, but after all this time living with it I did not though it was making so much.

7 Likes

Great dealer. :-1:t2:

2 Likes

They are trying to make it right by selling me the snaic at cost. I gather they’ve only sold HCDR with preamps before and they have the additional cable needed already from what understand from the dealer. I may be their first SN3 customer to buy a HCDR.

2 Likes