How young are you?

I saw King Crimson play year before last, and they played most of In the Court of the Crimson King which is now more than fifty years old, and almost as old as me.

Still sounds great though (as did they).

5 Likes

…turned 69 this past November and it is turning out to be a very good year so far! Hopefully the world opens back up by time I’m 70 and it will get even better. It has been a great year to get in shape and lose some weight.

5 Likes

Nothing unexpected so far and interesting to see there are none under 20’s. Maybe saving towards their first piece of Naim gear.
Good to see @mikehughescq flying the flag for the over 90’s. Respect Sir!
And then…there is good old and “shy” Kev.
Thank you all for taking part.:sunglasses:

I’d not be surprised if there are many of that age enjoying some of their parents ‘cast off’ Naim kit that has sat unused and was not sold on when upgrading - I have several older hi-fi items my kids could have, mostly Arcam and Linn.

2 Likes

I became a Naim owner in my 20s when I bought my 42/110 in 81 or 82. I wonder if the age profile was similar then, would I have been considered a very young Naim owner? Or maybe, I was one among many 20 somethings buying into the Linn Naim world back then?

2 Likes

Nice thread!

I’m 46, still bench press a reasonable amount of weight and tickle the 8 grade (sport climbing :person_climbing:).

Don’t feel old, or young. In fact I don’t feel anything related to age apart from my knees :sweat_smile: :laughing:

4 Likes

I borrowed a ‘box’ from my dealer to test a couple of weeks ago.

I mentioned that over 30 years ago I lived a few streets away in ‘student land’, and that even though they sold high end kit, back then all of us bought budget systems there, some of us followed on with high end purchases (me anyway).

I was perhaps not surprised to hear that demographics had changed and that the local population (student hosuing area) rarely went there anymore to buy separates but that ‘HQ’ was critical of sales during lockdown when the current demographic is a far wider area with travel restrictions. Very sad.

Oh nice I’m still in the 17%… don’t feel as old in this group as I do when I talk to my work colleagues :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

65 and lucky to be here. If you tasted my wifes cooking you would understand. :joy:

5 Likes

I do wonder about the sharp drop off in numbers above 70: possibilities include simply that there are proportionately very few such members, or they don’t feel inclined to participate, or maybe something else?

1 Like

They don’t use internet forums as much perhaps?

2 Likes

I bought my Nait in 1985 when I was 21, I think that the hifi demographic was different then, I suspect a lot of music lovers now would have something like Sonos which offers reasonable sound quality and convenience.

2 Likes

I’m definitely not flying any flag for the over 90s. No idea what happened there!

If you did not vote on it I’d seriously consider making an appointment with your GP first thing in the morning.:sunglasses:

I definitely voted but not with that specific selection!

I’m 54 and a quarter! Never really been bothered by ‘being’ an age. On your Birthday, you are only a day older than you were the day before, which is true of every other day; so why worry about it? As others have said, I seem to be able to judge how ‘well’ I’m aging by what I can still do rather then my actual age in years. I have always had a great love of the mountains and can still climb up the ones I want to and recover well enough to do it several days on the bounce. It’s true, I don’t do it as quickly as I did in my 20’s but I view that as a good thing; I now spend more time actually looking around and admiring the magnificence of it all!

I bought my first bit of Naim kit (Nait 2) when I was 24 but had been ‘into’ how a good Hi-Fi could increase musical enjoyment since I was a teenager. I guess back in the late 80’s, I had proportionately less disposable income, so Naim was relatively expensive; the Naits made it ‘affordable’ to me. I had an Audiolab 8000A and a couple of others on the shortlist to replace my Rotel RA820. Then the salesman said, ‘Have you heard Naim’s new amp?’ I laughed, thinking there was no way I could afford anything Naim! He played the same records I’d just listened to on the other amps through the Nait and it was like a light came on; all thoughts of it being a bit more expensive disappeared - the rest, as they say…

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

Remember folks, getting old is better than the alternative.

2 Likes

Getting young?

I always say I’m looking forward to my second childhood - I’m still in my first at the moment, and hope there’s no gap between!

2 Likes

That’s not the real alternative, I’m afraid.

Same here! I thought you were older. The 84 must be caused by the kids - I fully understand it. My granddad has more energy than I have.