I did a thing ... 500DR to come

Fully agree, but the good service guy is near retirement and therefore…:blush:

2 Likes

Isn’t it funny how fast you get used to a new sound when changing, both upwards and downwards. I’m still on NACA5 and I know I’m loosing out on details and a lot of things but now I’m starting to get used to it and don’t think about it. If keeping it I could live happily with it but if putting in the more expensive Oephi cable I would hear in an instant what I’m missing out. Then a week later I would feel bit the same as with NACA5. Reference levels rapidly change as you get used to a new sound. I guess this is why some having 500 series changing to say Nait 50 after a few weeks wonder why they had a 500-system since they still enjoy music a lot. It’s complicated but should be easy :slight_smile: If you are not an HIFI-addict that is.

And this come from the guy that have an Ansuz D2 Powerswitch and D2 ethernet cable on the way… Maybe I one day just sell it all and simplify with a small nait :slight_smile: :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Wise words … still at naca 5 here as well :blush:

5 Likes

Do not know if there will be a massive effect with 7 year old 500ps and 11 year old 552ps freshly serviced. Think there will be. But than I am safe for now (with the PSUs only).

How’s the Sigma performing? Swapped it out for the Omega yet?

1 Like

15 years between service on 500 series I believe!

1 Like

Yes - I know. But peace of mind is so much worth :joy:

No - sigma is… phantastic… I spammed my love for that cable in the „last bought“ thread.

„ While listening to shunyata i sometimes think I miss some Boom the diamond and especially the vodka gave. But this boom is only for the moment. And will stress after a while. Shunyata does all completely musical and without any stress at all. All perfectly arranged.
For example a hi-hat is more prominent with diamond but too much upfront for me. Same with sibilance… but with shunyata… I am a fan“
:blush:

I am afraid I will fiddle again with omega. Love the sigma as it is.
Someone wrote in a review that omega is less harsh than sigma. If so, omega has less edges - but some small edges I like.

Thanks again @Geko, you completed my system :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m glad we’ve both found the missing piece to our musical puzzle. I’m still marvelling at the delicacy and power it manages to portray at exactly the same time. I’m guessing that the harshness you hear is actually the ‘noise’ we are all trying to get rid of. Some cables shape this noise to a point where we like it. It’s only when you hear a cable that seems to remove the noise that you start to understand the impact that has on the music. It’s working really well on my LPS but I feel I may have to explore these all over again. I think I will start with the Farad 3 and PN to see where it takes me.

Happy listening, and keep up the fiddling!

4 Likes

Yes - you should try farad and PN (for the 3rd time).
As I understand the PN is also designed to get rid of noise.
In my testing days last year I had 3 LPS heared with ee8.
The least good is lhy25, very good was farad and best was Sean Jacob’s dc3. For this reason I jumped on the PN train as Sean Jacob’s dc3 is inside of it.

Now I need to install the powerigel plus correctly in the system and have to gave my naca5 new plugs on both sides.
Hope that after that I can rest sometime… until re-capp… :rofl:

2 Likes

Had some weak moments - maybe because of damn headache from flu :face_with_thermometer:
System was sounding …. Bah - sounding wonderful… all mind magic.
All albums sound so different recorded, as they are. When I remember from where I started when cd sounds always very similar digital.

2 Likes

I fiddled again…
Put diamond back in, as I thought I was lacking speed.
After initially wow (20 sec) and back to sigma, all is fundamentally clear.
Sigma can do better - also with speed

1 Like

I’m guilty of the same thing. Went back to Catsnake/SMPS for an evening, nice but lacks neutrality, tonal shading, weight and speed of the Sigma. Put Sigma back in and the instant the first cymbal strike is heard you just know it’s right! I’m itching to try the Farad again.

I struggle from time to time agreeing with myself what I prefer long term :see_no_evil: Maybe it’s good to keep few cables to make changes now and then :smile: Who wants to eat the same food day out, day in?

4 Likes

LOL
So we are … old(er) man with their habits
What do you mean with cymbals - cymbals are the ones which had stressed me too much with vodka and diamond. With both they came too aggressive and in front (especially with vodka). With sigma cymbals are there with a lot of shine - but not front row. When I remember correctly from live music, the percussion is not in front of the singer :blush:

Please try the PN - better than ee8 plus Farad

I kept a lot of cables … :joy:

1 Like

When I am fiddling a really got mad as I am totally crazy when I comes to right cable dressing and plugging and de-dusting :rofl:
Cost me min 30 min to bring all back in order - simple Ethernet cable plug in… totally mad

1 Like

The cymbal thing with the Sigma is the natural clarity and shimmer the cymbal takes on when struck. It’s how, in my head, a real cymbal sounds. By contrast listening to the the Catsnake/SMPS last night the cymbal lost that sense of realism, like a representation of a cymbal but not quite the correct tone, pitch or clarity - more like a photo copy! With the Sigma I’m constantly surprised by the accuracy of instruments, again their tonal accuracy is a bit of a revelation. Just listening to some complex music and I can clearly hear the sound of the snare drum in the background it’s unmistakably a snare drum, all underpinned by this great rhythmic tuneful bass line. Never heard it like this before despite knowing the track really well.

2 Likes

I tend to get stuck in “This is a bit to soft - in with something that makes it bit brighter”. Then “this is a bit bright - in with something that makes it bit softer”.

D2 powerswitch + D2 ethernet is bit more forward and detailed than EE8+Farad3 + Entreq stuff. Entreq ethernet on D2 switch softens it a bit in the upper frequencies. My Oephi speaker cables are pretty forward and detailed compared to lots of cables which naca5 is not. So D2 powerswitch with naca5 is magic since it bring naca5 to life in a good way. But EE8 +Farad + Entreq might be better balance with Oephi.

Are we just dealing with a complex EQ here? :smile:

Trial continues… After all I’m just on day 2 or 3.

2 Likes

You have complex matrix testing

• switch
  • Ethernet
  • LS cable

How much combinations do you get there :blush:
I would only try naca5 ansuz switch and cable against ee8/entreq/oephi

From my experience the more forward and detailed combinations tend to initially WOW but there is also some stress in it. on long term the more relaxed combo is also more natural and musical.

1 Like