I did a thing ... 500DR to come

Nope - 2013

Was it frozen at -133 C that it necessitates so long time burning ?

2 Likes

Rooster wake up… :joy:
No - its not. But 500 series needs some time to settle in. My 552 was really good after 4 weeks # till I switched it of for holiday :smiling_face:

1 Like

Like that.
Apparently it takes twice as long if you are on 110 Volts. So thats about 6 months then lol.

3 Likes

Hold on just looked in my fridge and the shelves look spot on for the naim boxes.

Seriously, what needs to settle in the 500 series or any ? It has no moving parts, etc. Its just electronics.

When I bought my 552 it sounded better every week …
Name it warm up, how you like.
When all cables are re-dressed it takes time to settle in.
Several forum members stated the longer warm up period - 552 made me believe

It appears to be long to come on song, as it’s a used one. But I believe you, just surprised.
I am following the Drango stories ( Dan and Drago). Switching from one to the other.

2 Likes

Drango :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But really - 552 was getting better every day. 500 was switched off for more than 6 weeks, before I got it. And it was good run in - owner used it good.
Maybe I will do a recap of the ps only - if it can be done in DE.

1 Like

The 500DR sounded rough for a few days. I don’t think it changed much after a week. The 552DR sounds warmed up. Doesn’t really sound much different from day 1.

This is my experience. But 500DR definitely needed time to settle. I would say day 4 sounded great. 552DR sounds great out of the box. No roughness at all. No real change.

LP12 a bit different as 2 new electronic boxes with Urika 1 and Radikal 2. Also new cables take time to burn in.

If it’s used, it’s no different from going away on holiday for a week with system turned off.

I am not an expert but my ears tell me what I hear. 500DR was definitely off for a few days.

I reckon 552DR is warmed up. Sounds great.

Of course if you are constantly changing cables and positions and adding things in it will take longer to settle. I would imagine that is what @Drago is doing to fine tune his wondrous system!

No fiddling now…
But installed it yesterday into Fraim - therefore a lot of cable management
You mentioned 500dr does not change much after a week? Day 4 was the da?
3 days to go for me :joy:

552 was also fine out of the box - but enhanced a lot over time

And: my complete system was turned off for a week

2 Likes

It sounded terrible at times. Vocals especially. I thought OMG then it all came good. Consistently good. I kept it playing on internet radio 24/7 with volume off.

Give it a week and ir ahould be great! Some will say it sounds great immediately. That wasn’t my experience.

With preamps the 52 and 552 have aounded great out of the box. The 52 after day one sounded perfect after full service. The 552 isn’t really sounding any different to me after day 4.

1 Like

Maybe your 552 was delivered by IGLOO, not UPS or FEDEX.

IMG_2997

1 Like

It’s currently set in an iceberg with cut outs for cables! :cold_face:

1 Like

How do you play 24/7 with volume off?
Wenn pre is muted there nothing reaching the
Power amp?

Vocals are a bit off here as well!

I disagree with Dan here. I think the 552 like the S1 (when both are run in) if turned off for more than 20 seconds takes 6 or 7 days to optimise. The 500dr like wise. But they all sound really good from the off don’t they? Burn in from new is another story. I’ve just gone through it with 2 x 500’s. 6 weeks for the yo yo to end and three months to full burn in. Mine are between the two stages. Sounding fabulous still!

3 Likes

The only one that cannot hear magic grow with days being on today run DCS :man_shrugging:

A couple of suggestions, I’d leave more of a gap between your two Fraim’s as it will allow you some arm access to dress/remove cables if you have to.

Another tip my dealer gave me (for a 552) is not to use the mute button. If you need to cut the sound switch it to a different input. Apparently, if you use the mute it takes a little bit of time to stabilise the signal again. We were doing some quick comparisons of the new CAD Ethernet filter in and out of the system and it proved a very useful tip.

1 Like

Ive read some posts in my time but come on…

6 Likes

My setup is switched rain-brawn as I started this way and I need tt and pre right sided.
For this reason it is necessary to have the fraims tight. Upper left (nd555) is fed by 555ps (lower right).
They are hanging straight but without stress in cable or plug.
Nd555 to pre is only working with 1,5m length - so SL it is :grinning:

Arm access - its so painful :confused:

Thanks - I mute the pre every evening :smiling_face: