Iconic album covers. What’s your favourite?

I was tempted to mention The Pink Fairies - What a Bunch of Sweeties, which I consider another iconic album!

1 Like

Alabama 3. Exile on cold harbour lane. I’m maybe too old to strut around with an album sleeve tucked under my arm but if I did it would be this one. In my top 10 favourite albums of all time and a cover as interesting as the music.

3 Likes

Oops missed that one could I be so presumptuous to say that it’s so iconic it deserves to be in twice

1 Like

The original gatefold of Juicy Lucy’s first album, featuring Zelda Plum in all her sticky glory! Adolescent schoolboys loved it, their parents abhorred it.

6 Likes

First of mine

9 Likes

For me, it’s got to be instantly recognisable and some are recognisable to more people than others and therefore more “iconic”.

1 Like

7 Likes

10 Likes

I wonder if that’s as iconic as the original Electric Ladyland sleeve (which Hendrix said he disliked BTW)?

1 Like

It’s so iconic, I didn’t even realise it wasn’t the original…:joy:

Here’s another iconic album cover from my collection

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

You were definitely not in with the in crowd if you did not have this under your arm in the 6th form common room

11 Likes

What I loved with the CBS records of the 70’s was the inner cover which highlighted other albums of the time. Always fascinating even if some of the recommendations were not going to appeal to that hip teenager.

1 Like

Harvest did that, too - and had many bands that I liked.

3 Likes

Pretty impossible to select one best cover, but for me these 3 stand out for their artistic and technical merit.

Everything about this is a work of art. Would be so proud if I came up with this simplicity.

Photography at it’s best. Pure class.

So iconic and beautifully photographed. Big pressure commercial photography shoot. I would hate to think of the logistics. Get it right…quick.

9 Likes

Mentioned already but there’s not many covers as instantly recognisable from a distance.

.sjb

7 Likes

The freewheeling cover @Count.d is also important as a snapshot in time. Dylan looking happy, young, fresh faced. Take a look at the next album and we see things are getting darker and more serious.

2 Likes

5 Likes

The warmth of the backlight, the hug, Dylan looking down, the steps are perfect, vehicle cropping perfect, just brilliant.

WYWH, the centralised drain, the shape and perfect position of the shadow, the pale blue sky harmonising the overall image contrast. Perfect.

Beatles, if I’d have shot it, in hindsight, I would have had Lennon looking a little more towards me off to the right. Then the story is ‘where’s/who’s he looking at?’ And we’d see more of his face.

1 Like

I recently framed up my favourite picture disks for the garage, most are somewhat obscure…

4 Likes

Here’s one for you Liverpool fans :wink:

6 Likes