Ignore Function

Who said what?

Youā€™ve Ignored yourself!

1 Like

It might be fun to try and work out who is ignoring who :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

It occurs to me that a member, and indeed Discourse, should notify members that theyā€™ve been Ignored, which would be the polite and efficient way of operating. Otherwise the Ignored person may waste his/her time replying or citing the Ignorer, and other members will think the Ignorer is rude, unco-operative or deliberately being awkward because they donā€™t respond to questions or make use of suggestions aimed at them (of course as will the Ignored person but that wonā€™t be a concern to the Ignorer). It also might help curb the behaviour of trolls if they know they are being ignored, especially if multiple people Ignore them, and then they might either give up because they are not reaching their target, or because they werenā€™t meaning to troll but analysing their own behaviour on learning of multiple Ignores they may recognise that they could present their views better.

3 Likes

I may not agree with certain members from time to time but I would never block anyone. Canā€™t learn anything if we donā€™t listen to others point of view.

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind if people ignore me. Evelyn Waugh when discussing critics in his Face to Face interview said that being ignored is the best one can hope for. Equally poignantly the Desperate Bicycles sung

I never pass the same way twice
I never take my own advice

1 Like

If I got to a stage that I thought I needed to block someone I think Iā€™d just delete my account and go back to just listening to music. I enjoy likeminded people but I donā€™t want clones that just parrot my views, a bit of discourse is good for the mind.

4 Likes

Hmmmm,

The person that I put on my ā€œIgnoreā€ list is still being ignored by me, despite the fact that the ā€œignoreā€ was meant to apply only until 08:00 this morning (itā€™s was 08:15 when I looked).

Perhaps the site works to some American time-zone and the ā€œIgnoreā€ will be lifted at say 13:00 GMT ?

This could be more useful

4 Likes

Yeah, now thereā€™s someone who deserves to be blocked.

Well, itā€™s well past 08:00 GMT and iā€™m pleased to note that the ā€œignoredā€ person is back, complete with posts.

Also, the ā€œscore sheetā€ ie the number of posts in each thread for which that person made a contribution has also been fully restored

OOpps ā€¦

I might have pressed the wrong button. I seem to be alone on this forum. Canā€™t see any other posts !

Help ! how to I ā€œun-ignoreā€ everybody ?

Oh dear, that was a stupid question, I canā€™t see any answers ā€¦

Hellllllllp!!

1 Like

b01075265b19f24df0c8f49753b5e0230412931164be1be76c2d04c199f852e2

1 Like

Given the platformā€™s propensity to award ā€˜badgesā€™, I wonder if thereā€™s a badge to be earned if enough other members ā€˜mute/ignoreā€™ you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Whoever gets one should post to say - which of course wont be seen by those awarding itā€¦

2 Likes

That post is close to triggering the ā€œIgnoreā€ button for real !! :sunglasses:

1 Like

From time to time, I find myself scrolling straight past posts by one or two people here without bothering to read them (based on their previous performance) though I canā€™t be bothered going through the electronic Ignore option. To what extent that absolves me from accusations of bullying (above), Iā€™m not quite sure.

Mark

Itā€™s been nine days since I set the Forum to ignore a couple of people and on reflection Iā€™ve found it a much more copacetic experience. I was doubtful but itā€™s been really useful. Maybe itā€™s because lots of people have blocked me and therefore donā€™t respond to my rubbish. Whatever, itā€™s working.

3 Likes

To my mind the Ignore function is not necessary in this forum.

The Naim forum is among the better ones and i would lot visit a forum rather than ignoring someone.

It would be so boring without the odd push and shoveā€¦

I am contemplating starting a poll on this :grinning:

5 Likes

I think if you ā€œignoreā€ a member or flag a post you should have the decency to contact the individual.