Innuos 2.0 - Innsights

Hi @dayjay, I have used Roon since getting Innuos, I have never tried just the Innuos player. Before Roon 1.8 I always used experimental mode but after I don’t find much between them.
How easy is it to use the Innuos app (iPeng?), do you just download app and choose appropriate settings via my.innuos, or is there more to it ?
I use ripped files and Qobuz.

It’s very easy indeed. Download the app and switch Roon off in MyInnuos and away you go. The interface is a big big step back from Roon but sq improves.

1 Like

@dayjay Thanks, so you can easily run both iPeng and Roon in tandem, just select your preferred option on my.innuos ?
Is it the iPeng/Squeezebox Remote Control app at £8.99 ?
Update, only took a short time to get it up and running, initial view agree with sound improvement, obviously the functionality not as good as Roon. Has me looking forward to Innuos 2.0.

1 Like

I have had a variety of servers in my system in the last two years going up and down due to increasing interest (and possibly knowledge) and a varying income stream.

From the top in SQ terms:-

Melco N1ZH/2 (FR equivalent !) - direct to TT2 DAC
Naim Uniti Core (upnp) - better direct via BNC, than over network, into my then ND5XS2

SonicTransporter i7 (roon and HQPlayer) -

Uniti Atom in Server Mode external SSD - accessed by NDX2 over network (WiFi / daisy chained switches)
Melco N1A/2 (demo loan alongside N1ZH/2, Uniti Core)
Innuous Zen Mini with LPSU (upnp) - nice functionality.
Innuos ZM with LPSU (roon experimental mode)

Roon Nucleus+ - had to put Mutec 3+ USB onto it - into TT2. Was better as a server only into my then ND5XS2.
Intel NUC 7i5 with LPSU. External SSD.

I re-ripped my 300CD’s using a Buffalo ripper into my N1ZH/2 - and that is still my library on the SSD drives although the Melco has sadly gone to fund my refreshed system. All SSD are Samsung.

Currently -

1. The Atom as above - a temporary solution, maybe. If funds allow I would go back to a Uniti Core or Melco, but my stored library isn’t that big.

2. Intel NUC 7i5 (Asset Upnp better than roon) as roon server, also with external SSD. I may migrate this over to a new Apple Mac Mini M1, later in the year.

I like roon’s UI and library management and the stable control app across PC, iOS, Mac, Android. Got fed up with other aspects - NDX2/Atom/Qb2 using streaming direct vs. via roon is a better SQ - easily tested.

I have 12,000 tracks in my roon library - 80% from Qobuz - increasingly I just access these as favourites from the Naim App. This is why I would like to see Naim emulate (functionally) Innuos 2.0.

There have been a lot of other component changes and I am now with a Naim classic system (as per profile) in my main setup. So this has also undergone enormous change - Naim gives greater certainty regarding system and component matching, and avoidance of the USB-cable-purifier-into DAC black hole - and the PSU’s although big at least have a consistent look

I had a private conversation with a well respected senior person in streaming development, marketing and distribution who confirmed that roon RAAT into their endpoint/server was ‘not as good’ as UPnP.

So in fact I am firmly in the camp (me & FR !) of a roon-agnostic pro-Melco N1 ZH/2 & Naim classic streamer(NDX2, NDS etc.) in a revealing system, that includes a Chord H2 DAC (unlike FR !! ) Other approaches e.g. Zenith/Phoenix/Chord Dave are also valid each to their own in terms of preference, matching, ears and budget :sunglasses:

Seniority, age, experience, budget and competence are not directly linked - in my case at least !

5 Likes

Well detailed experience :+1:. We can’t share all however, but not a problem. ( chord).

1 Like

So, whilst you Innuos fan boys heads are all pointed in the same direction :slight_smile:

Is it possible to backup the Zenith to a USB stick? Experience thus far says no. It’s formatting then rejecting them all. Mrs. H. would like our 1973 albums on a stick to use in the car.

1 Like

As a Melco user who uses both the music server and streamer function, it would great if Melco stepped up with an updated app with a better looking interface. As much as I enjoy my Melco N1Z, this new Innous app seems like a game changer. In the meantime, I continue to use the Lumin app, which works well as a Melco control point.

How is the Melco Hd app?

I would email them Mike, usually they are very fast at getting back to you and helpful.

I know. Will do. I’ve used them a couple of times for questions and Nuno did some remote support with me on a Friday evening which, of course, revealed nothing but user error. :slight_smile:

However, thought users on here might have had a quick answer.

It’s a white label version of M Connect. What would be a nice addition is an album artist view with album covers in a grid view.

1 Like

Yes, me too. I have a Lifetime Subscription for Roon but have stopped using Roon until they pay more attention to sound quality. That is why I am really excited about Innuos 2.0 with its user features AND I compromised sound quality.

3 Likes

I have many times and don’t hear a difference with my Atom.

it’s time that Melco re-builds their app. I like the Aurender app but the new Innuos app looks fantastic.

2 Likes

You really like the Aurender app? It looks horrible and cluttered from what I have seen of it and some odd colour choices. Innuos 2.0 looks miles ahead in so many ways.

I like the dark theme of it and the Aurender app is really fast- I used it when I had an Aurender. The Innuos app looks better, let’s see what it will deliver :slight_smile:

1 Like

pretty sure you can, from memory there is an option in settings

I think you should be able to copy them over the network onto a linked computer then to a usb stick. You may have to do it one album at a time.

There’s an option to backup and that can only be to something using USB. Attach a HDD and all is well. Attach a USB stick and it formats but won’t then do anything else. Well, it crashed the Zenith and demanded a restart.

Yes,that’s what I tried yesterday. It seemed happy to do them all but at the cost of an estimated 36 hours to transfer!