Innuos Phoenix Net- any user here?

I used Roon with a Roon Nucleus. I now also have an Innuos Statement which to my mind sounds better for Roon, but even better without Roon. I’ve kept the Nucleus to see if I continue to use Roon now and again either for Roon Radio or the daily recommendations or even just for guests, but so far simply haven’t, so will probably end up selling the Nucleus, which sounded better than the previous solutions I tried.

All that said, I’m not sure why your Sonicorbiter isn’t working and can’t see why it shouldn’t. Have you tried restarting your router (while leaving everything else going, including the PhoenixNet)?

Thanks for your insights Michaelb!
So it’s good to know that a nucleus works with a PhoenixNet:-) Sounds like my next project …
I agree 100% with your findings- upnp direct without roon sound “better” (but this is a different discussion ;-))

And yes, I tried to reboot the connected router, tried to power off switch, reboot sonicorbiter many times, even tried to re-install the OS of it… but I must say I don’t understand that problem since sonicorbiter works when attached directly to router and works as well when attached to Melco.

I’ve stopped resisting the urge and have arranged for a trial - a PhoenixNET should be arriving later this week. The gains from the ADOT fibre kit made me think this may be worth a go as the final piece of the network jigsaw to replace the EE8…

4 Likes

It does like a few days warm up, even if a used demo one, just to get the oven and clock stabilised. To get the best out if it all the final ethernet connections should go through the Phoenix to get the benefit from it. I had a Melco server installed and the wisdom at the time was the Melco direct connection to a streamer etc was best. That is probably the case for most switches, but the Phoenix has much better reclocking etc than the Melco. Interesting to hear how it compares with the ADOT fibre system, and if it adds more to the SQ.

1 Like

Thanks Gary - that’s useful info. The ADOT MC01 won’t be replaced as it’s now the link between my Cisco 2960 and the switch for the rest of my network (including the Roon Nucleus). This all sits in my ‘office’ and ~25m of Cat 5e further on is the EE8 along with my NDX2 in the lounge. The plan is to see what the PhoenixNET brings to the party over the EE8 (and LPS1.2 PSU) :grinning:

2 Likes

The Melco was going to go back……my Uniti Core was going through the Phoenix and sounding better than a Melco N10 direct to streamer. A simple reconnection with the Melco lan and player connection going through the Phoenix, and the Melco sounds the better beast.

2 Likes

So do you have a Melco or Core now running through PhoenixNet?

It was not not so clear in my case. I tried the Nds direct to Phoenix and direct to Melco two or three times during the first months. Curiously I preferred each time the direct to Melco. I use Audioquest diamond cables with DBS noise cancellation, it may give different results.
Then, recently, I tried a last time the direct to Phoenix connection, but let the system running 24 hours. This time the direct to Phoenix had the edge. Obviously the port unused had to burn in.

Melco N10

1 Like

frenchrooster,
I have in mind that you had some trouble with the Phoenix as well and that you got contact with Innuos?
How did they solve your problem?
Thanks!

I think it was @Michaelb who had a dialogue with innuos?

Innuos service is amongst the best I have encountered

2 Likes

Yes, I received a faulty item. I couldn’t make the Naim app working. It was giving a wrong IP adress.
Noir et Blanc send me one week later another item and all is fine now.
You can mail Innuos, they are quick responsive.

1 Like

Many thanks frenchrooster- I have same issues …my sonicorbiter connected to the switch is not seen in the network (LED inidcates that it hasn’t receive an IP@)

2 Likes

I think it’s the same, because it was my Melco. Strange that happens to you too. I hope they will change your PhoenixNet. :crossed_fingers:

Just one thing: check if your Sonicorbiter is settled to DHCP.

Many thanks frenchrooster! will check this!!

1 Like

frenchrooster- I think that solves the problem!!! Many thanks for the tip, just watching if it works during the week :+1: :+1: Problem was the fritz box/avm router (dhcp…)

1 Like

sh…t it crashes again…so I’ll contact now Innuos!

Maybe it’s your Network, router?
But Innuos is a great help. However it was not easy for me to persuade them my PhoenixNet was faulty.
Can you bring your Sonicorbiter and PhoenixNet to your dealer, or friend, to see if it’s a network problem or PhoenixNet issue?
Because in my case I couldn’t see the Melco, even a second. So no crashes in my case.