Innuos Statement - Next-Gen - Phoenix Net

Some of you will of already seen and maybe already know about the Next Gen upgrade for the Innuos Statement.

Looking at the specs it looks like the Ethernet Phoenix isolation and re-clocking thingy will be integrated into the Next Gen upgrade.

As someone who has recently demo’d a Phoenix Net and was looking at buying one I will now have to re evaluate my decision and maybe look at the upgrade instead.

2 Likes

The next gen upgrade is certainly worth investigating, it would work out more expensive but you will achieve improvement in a number of areas.

1 Like

I’ve got both and have out my name down for the upgrade so can let you know what if anything the PN contributes afterwards.

1 Like

Having just demoed the Phoenix Net with mine and having given it back to the dealer I am currently unable to listen to music without it as it just sounded so much better with it.

Fortunately it’s summer and I’ll be switching my system off now until the autumn so I’ll survive.

Be interesting to know how much difference the upgrade will make.

In theory it should be even better than the external Phoenix Net as the distance between the ethernet clock will be a lot shorter also cutting out at least two ethernet connections and at least one cable with a much shorter signal path.

1 Like

As far as I am aware, the Next Gen Power Supply upgrade does not change the already existing Ethernet and USB re-clocking and isolation (on par with the Pheonix stand alone solutions).
What it does is feed, in the server section, the above with cleaner/better current via the “rails are further smoothed by new Audio Note KAISEI capacitors benefitting all the main components: Motherboard, USB Reclocker, Ethernet Clock module and SSD”.

1 Like

The old (original) Statement never had the Phoenix level ethernet re clocking built in AFAIA. It had the USB re clocker but not the ethernet.

No it also has Ethernet reclocking (the website is also clear about that), but the PN implementation has been refined in several ways, including in the use of slower/quieter ports that are fixed using silicone to reduce vibration transmission. Unfortunately, I’ve forgotten some of the other aspects - maybe simply that its own dedicated PSU.

So there’s a chance that the new work on the Statement makes an additional PN redundant - or not. I haven’t sounded out any of the Innuos boffins on this - assuming they have had the time to do the relevant comparative auditions.

That’s what I’m hoping since I’d be delighted to lose a box. But it wouldn’t surprise me either if the PN still made a valuable difference.

Would be great if they could offer those tweaks as an upgrade in addition to the power supply or memory upgrades.

They may do… I haven’t asked, but I’ll have a good look when it comes back (haven’t sent off it yet, though BTW - awaiting instructions)

2 Likes

What is currently shown on the Innuos website is the new Next Gen spec, as I said AFAIA the original Statement didn’t have Ethernet isolation/re clocking similar to what the Phoenix Net provides.

It did have the USB isolation/re clocker.

No it always had ethernet reclocking. Take a look at the old Hi-Fi Plus review <-link published March 2019, for example, which states:

“Four rails are for the motherboard, with one each for the SSD storage, Ethernet clock, USB clock, and for the USB 5V.”

and

“This features one of two OCXO clocks (the other is for the Ethernet), both of which have their own dedicated supplies and claim 3ppb accuracy. This element was designed to improve the quality of signals streamed from both the server and the world beyond.”

1 Like

Looks like you’re correct then.

What I got when I recently tried the Phoenix Net with my Statement was a fuller sound (as apposed to thin) and PRAT for the first time in my Naim system which I really enjoyed.

But it looks like if the Statement already has the Ethernet isolation and re clocker then maybe I shouldn’t of been using or shouldn’t of needed the Phoenix Net.

I’ve sent an email to Innuos so hopefully they can clear up if it’s recommended to use a Phoenix Net with the Statement and also what the new Next Gen will bring to the table.

1 Like

Do you think the new offerings from Innuos will have any/much effect on second hand prices for the Zenith SE?

Yes it was. They work well together. I wrote about it at length in this thread here (<- link) which will be more accurate about what I found than any memory I may now have.

So I have both and will be interested to hear what Innuos tell you.

1 Like

I doubt it, since there was already such a big price difference between it and the Statement, with the Next Gen PS adding quite considerably again.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Statement together with Phoenix Net since the PN first released and I was initially able to try a well run-in pre-production prototype prior to obtaining my own unit
So lets straighten out a few things

1. PhoenixNET is basically the Statement ethernet input and output cards which are clocked with a 3ppb accuracy OCXO oscillator. In the PN, this comes with its own 2 rail Sean Jacobs LPS powering the ethernet clocks and switching chip.
  2. Like other hi-fi components, an audio network works on the principal of better data stream (less noise and jitter) in —> better signal out, so cleaning the ethernet data stream with a PN prior to the Statement’s input is highly beneficial and contributes to a large increase in SQ.
  3. The Statement Next-Gen upgrade has nothing really to do with PhoenixNET or the Statement’s corresponding ethernet circuitry, other than providing it with superior power.
    Next-Gen is based on work done by Sean Jacobs plus Innuos’s own R&D. Essentially you get 2 ARC6 AC/DC modules with active rectification, a large 10mH choke and nearly 4 times the Mundorf capacitance of the original Statement. The new regulators are based on Sean’s DC4 design with a 15A power booster for the CPU! The new components are mounted on a Panzerholz + frequency optimised gel layer for improved vibration control. In total the new supply has lower impedance and increased dynamic response to meet demands for instantaneous DC.
    Adding a PN to a Next Gen equipped Statement should bring even greater rewards than adding a PN to a standard Statement. In terms of networking, my experience has been that the better the network gets, the bigger the effect and positive impact of upgrades…
4 Likes

Indeed. Everything you wrote in 3 with my added comment that superior power is not be sniffed at :slight_smile:

Plus, there’s also - as part of all that but not in your list:

“All rails are further smoothed by new Audio Note KAISEI capacitors benefitting all the main components: Motherboard, USB Reclocker, Ethernet Clock module and SSD.”

2 Likes

Message reply from Innuos.

"Apologies for the late reply, i was away last week for Munich High End and returned last night.

That’s right, whilst the the STATEMENT basically has all the PhoenixUSB technology built in, the PhoenixNET is actually an evolution beyond the Ethernet stage of the STATEMENT. The key differences would be as follows;

• Isolation Transformers; a pair of these are found on the STATEMENT RJ45 ports, but the PhoenixNET uses much larger ones for better noise isolation.

• Dedicated Clock; the STATEMENT shares its clock, whereas the PhoenixNET gets the benefit of the 3ppb OCXO being completely devoted, and is mounted straight to the mainboard for maximum accuracy.

• Shared board vs bespoke PCB; the PhoenixNET uses a very high quality PCB board carrying the ports which we build ourselves specifically for this purpose, whereas the STATEMENT port is seated on the main overall motherboard.

• Gigabit vs 100mb; Curiously a slower passthrough speed is actually better for audio which is why the PhoenixNET is specced at 100mb, whereas the STATEMENT Ethernet is Gigabit which, while faster, is a little noisier.

• Socket gauge; the PhoenixNET uses very heavy duty RJ45 sockets with no disruptive LEDs at all, whilst the STATEMENT port is slightly more typical and does have LED indicators.

For all these reasons, the PhoenixNET does still represent a very decent upgrade to existing STATEMENTs, especially if frequently using streaming services or if you have another streamer in your system such as Linn or Naim etc.

Please do let us know if you require any further assistance."

5 Likes

Many thanks for posting that. Of course the question we’re all asking ourselves is how the Statement with the Next Generation power supply upgrades compares to the PhoenixNet where Ethernet reclocking is concerned.