Insane new pricing in Australia

:face_vomiting: maybe some serious self reflection is in order for hi-fi manufacturers :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@Mike_S

No more discounts on the classic gear range now according to the Addicted to Audio website

That could be a good thing for trade in prices now

1 Like

Was just about to post you, what Neat speakers do you have. I’m thinking of buying a pair of bookshelves (mid size).

Re the discounts yes that is good news although it’d be nice for someone to tell us what’s going on.

Just had a look at the Paul Money web site, the XPS and ND555 are still on sale, along with the NSC222 ($1.5K off) and NPX300 ($3K off). They just seem to run cycles of discounts on various items as part of their regular business, so probably nothing to read in that. Well, other than there is actually stuff that you can buy.

I have the Neat Petites Pete ( both the 30 anniversary ( only 100 pairs made and sold out) and the Petite Classic , very similar

Nice open soundstage, lovely midrange etc, easy to drive

I use to have the Neat Ministra’s ( the bookshelf version in your speaker range) their soundstage is narrower but the trade off is they have more base being isobaric design . Good ribbon tweeter but need a bit more power grunt to get the best out of them

Was a toss up really both have their good points. If the Petites haddnt come along I’d still have the Ministra’s

There is also the Motives SX3 which is quite good at a lower price range but I found them a bit shrill in the midrange and topend

Hope that helps - what you going to use them for ?

1 Like

The Petites currently only in black and white finishes but I believe they will be coming out in the usual wood veneer finishes also shortly

1 Like

The Petites were the very first speaker Neat produced all those years ago and have been through about 4 or 5 reiterations over the years . The current range has been a huge success I believe

Our beloved dealer may still have stock of the prior version if looking for a bargain and they also got great reviews

All I can say is I won’t be parting with mine :+1:

Regarding the confusing Naim situation in Sunny Perth, this morning I just ordered a NC 222/NPX300/NC250 at totally insane pricing. Very insane pricing.

The guys at the dealer were working the phones letting their clients know get in quick. A fire sale extrodinair!

So I am thinking the previous Australian distributors are doing a scorched earth manoeuvre, great for me but it will make it hard for the incoming distributors to move much product until the discounted stock clears.

So interesting times.

2 Likes

Assuming there will be any.

I wonder if they will just ship direct to their lifestyle Focal/Naim shops and forget the rest.

1 Like

The rumours are Australia and NZ will be handled by the Singapore distributor. I can’t see why. Naim should just do it direct.
Even when I was working with Arena, (the original Australian importers of Naim), I really wondered about the inefficiencies of a local distributor. And now when Naim seem to make almost to order, and we have easy money, customs, freight and data management, I really don’t see the point of a local importer/distributor. Just deal direct with the dealers.
Heck, we buy cars online these days. There must be a better way for quality but low volume manufacturers

3 Likes

I’m hearing otherwise

But what would I know :grinning:

If that distributor disappears into space how does that affect your warranty Steve ?

Be very careful mate !

I agree, the model is stuck in the past. While the value of a good dealer should never be underestimated, the fact is the majority of people buying any hifi outside of a few dense cities in the western hemisphere don’t have access to home trial, dealer setup, or even good dem facilities at all. It seems like doubling down on a method of supply and customer experience that simply doesn’t apply to many of us.

Some very high end makers sell both direct on line and via dealers. So it can be done.

FWIW I read in another article (that I think most on this thread also read) that Naim tried to desperately sign a new ANZ distributor at Munich but no one was interested.

1 Like

I think it would work you deal with dealers not the distributors. Why put extra margin on an already expensive low market product. As for warranty there’s people here that Naim could use.

1 Like

I bought at less than used price, new in boxes. A five year warranty is included. If that holds, great, if not, well too bad.

But to be honest, I have faith in Naim equipment. And if push comes to shove, I will ship it back to the Mothership.

I am sure any new distributor, (if there is one), won’t help me. But Naim have great service.

If it all goes south, particularly with the streaming side, I can just buy another. And I am confident that I can find good people locally to fix the NPX300 or the NC250.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I had an illuminating day on the QEII. Linn had a shop on the ship. They claimed it sold copious amounts of Linn. Linn simply assigned the sale to the dealer that serviced the territory where the customer lived. I am unaware of how margins were allocated.

Here in Sunny Perth when I buy online from a local whitegoods retailer, the delivery, servicing etc is done by my closest bricks and mortar store. Again, no idea of how margins are split.

Buy a Miele dishwasher, Mercedes-Benz car or any number of high end items here in Sunny Perth, and you pay your money direct to the manufacturer or their local division. The retailer gets a commission.

There are heaps of ways to skin the cat

1 Like

I need some new appliances and frankly, they are cheap. I’ve given them a ring this week and their prices include installation. This may vary in other countries though dependent on the local market.

Manufacturers that control the manufacture, marketing, sales delivery and servicing can ensure that the client gets the best experience. Sure thats not guaranteed but if you consider that high end hifi equipment needs expert installation the idea that a manufacturer handles everything but the sale, makes sense.
Works well here in Sunny Perth for many good brands. In the case of Miele, their retailers are independent owned, (and sell competing brands). Seems to work.

I suspect Festool do something similar. Maybe Mark64 would know, (I really admire his workshop!).

1 Like

A few years back I wanted a fancy BluRay transport. No dealer could get one inside of 2 months so I bought it on Amazon and got it in two days. Then it developed a fault after a week and I thought, “oh nuts this is my karma for cutting out a dealer. What now?” Turns out it was fine. I called the helpdesk of the manufacturer. They arranged to have the unit picked up from my door, repaired or replaced and sent back in seven days.

There are brands selling their $50k speakers online. So absolutely, the cat better run because skinning it is easy. Sure, after a certain price barrier they redirect the delivery and installation through a dealer but it works.

2 Likes