Installing lms-to-upnp Plugin to Roon enable NDS

Hey man you rock!. That really works on my system. I have also hidden the spinning wheel using bartender.I appreciate your effort and generosity. Thank you so much

Your welcome, glad it worked out.

Must try bartender :slightly_smiling_face:

CK

KRM, Thank you again for your inputs. I have the whole thing working now. I went a step further and automated the whole thing. I know Ceexkay and macpinty have a solution, but I wanted to create a launch daemon and have it all run in the background. After a number of dead ends with plist files and file owner issues and finally did it using a tool LaunchControl.

The following is the plist code it generated if anyone is interested:-

Replace the red highlights with your local values for name, application path, and config file path.

More information on LaunchDaemons is here:-
(https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Chapters/CreatingLaunchdJobs.html)

This is yet to be tested. Would be interested to hear from any Mac techies now how to improve it with error logs etc…

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi

This looks like a very neat solution, well done, a lot more professional than my bodge job. :exclamation:

Yet another thing to tinker with along with my ethernet switches and cables :grinning:

Cheers

CK

Hi. I got this far following these discussions. But I now have my computer showing up as Squeezebox 5 times in Roon and no NDX. Any ideas what I might try?

Hi

I suspect that one on the squeezeLite address relate to your NDX.
Find the MAC address for your NDX then compare it to the Device Info on the SqueezeLite reference then enable that one.
In my case all my Sonos devices have also shown up as SqueezeLite.
It is showing as 5 instances on your computer because that is where the plugin is running.
Hope this helps.

CK

1 Like

Many thanks, it is indeed. I was confused by seeing the IP of my machine shown.

Is it usual that the track progress bar doesn’t work? I can’t actually tell for sure if sound is coming out as I temporarily have no speaker cables and the NDX display is bust!

Hi

If you can see the NDX as a SqueezeLite would indicate that the plugin is running.
I assume you mean Roon progress bar and I think it should run but don’t know if output connection is required.
Try identifying and enabling another SqueezeLite to test output from Roon.

CK

Thanks CK. I also notice this bit depth conversion despite having turned off all the DSP stuff I can find. Is that as expected?

Hi

I think down sample instruction may be coming from sample_rate setting in NDS section of config.xml file. I set rate to <sample_rate>192000</sample_rate> for NACN272, NDX I think will cope with that as well.

CK

It does. Would you be willing to tell me how to enact that as I am not so computer literate?

Hi

Use TextEdit to open config.xml file.
Identify NDX section by finding the MAC address in the file. Something like
aa:aa:aa:b1:b1:b1
In the line below type
<sample_rate>192000</sample_rate>
next line will possibly be

Save file and exit, this should now be picked up when the plugin is run on start up. I notice the defaults in the top section of the file is sample rate of 48000. The 192000 sample rate overwrites that for the specific device.

Hope this helps

CK

1 Like

Great stuff, many many thanks

Glad I could assist.

Cheers

CK

I am trying Roon with my NDX and needed to change the following in the lms-upnp bridge config.xml file to make sure it was transcoding tracks to wav rather than simply passing through Tidal and local library flac:

<mode>pcm,r:-192000,s:24</mode>

I also needed to configure the NDX device in Roon settings to “dsd over pcm (dop)” to replay dsd. For folks on the old generation of machines, you may find this of use.

At the end of the Roon trial, I am hoping to decide if this is enough to get an NDS which are a good price second hand or whether to bite the bullet and get an NDX2 where upon I can be rid of these “hacks”. We shall see…

2 Likes

Timster,

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the “pass-through” vs “processing” settings for the parameter. Are the values you propose based on the capability of the NDX?

Keen to hear from others what values they are using? Since my library is mostly Wave and Flac 44.1 16 bit. will this make any difference? I believe this is more relevant if you have high definition content.

Thanks.

It would apply to any of the first generation of naim streamers. I stream mostly from Tidal now and as much of that is FLAC , I have found that transcoding to wave is my preference. If you mostly listen to a library of native wave albums, then I would suggest you’d not benefit much, if at all. If you use tidal or stream a lot of FLAC then I would recommend trying it.

Timster,

Thank you for your response. My Flac content is is also form Tidal. I will give it a try.

But just to understand this better…I believe Roon by default transcodes Tidal content from FLAC to PCM (WAVE)? Is it not best to let any file processing done within Roon? And if the Tidal content is not high resolution, what is the benefit? I am not interested in upscaling.

Thanks.

Hi

I believe Roon outputs in PCM therefore no transcoding required when using.

CK

I had to look back and see you are using an NDS. If you stream a Tidal FLAC track, does the NDS indicate it is replaying WAV? If so, it must be transcoded. For me, the ndx was showing FLAC and thus indicating it was not being transcoded by either roon or the lms-bridge to WAV as I prefer. Looking at LMS bridge doc, it states the default is pass through and so the behaviour was consistent with what I was seeing e.g. if the upnp device supports FLAC then send it FLAC if that is what is being streamed.

Let us know how it turns out.