Interesting TV

SHOGUN Episode 10: SPOILER ALERT (Don’t look down if you don’t want to know).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Just watched the last episode.

Absolutely genius! I was expecting it to almost finish on a huge battle (Sekigahara) scene that the series had seemed to be building towards, but all that happened was a brief “pre-battle” gathering of armies and a scene where “Ishido” is handed a letter that ensures his defeat.

The rest of the episode stays pulled in tight to the character-driven exchanges between the various characters and finishes with “Toranaga” viewing the future and us seeing him doing so.

Breathtaking. Unmissable. I haven’t been so impressed with a TV series since “Breaking Bad” and before it, “The Sopranos”.

Thoroughly recommended.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it as well. Just hate buffering problems I have with ITVX.

OK I won’t look down! Thanks for adding spoiler alert.

Series 2 of the Big Door Prize (Apple). Still intriguing, funny and watchable.

Starting to watch Channel 4’s “Wildlife Rescue” on catch up. Series about a wildlife hospital in Essex.

Powerful and interesting stuff. Relevant to us as my Wife volunteers at our local wildlife hospital.

Watching the first episode of Johnson & Knopler’s Music Legends on Sky Arts in which the two Geordi lads Brian Johnson and Mark Knopler interview a few hand picked music legends starting off with Sir Tom Jones

A new series on Channel 4 of “The Piano” started last night.

Always interesting and moving.

Anyone who missed it at release BBC2 are now showing Dopesick on Sunday evenings which charts the start of the legal opioid crisis in the USA, it centres on the selling of the alleged none addictive pain killing drug OxyContin which surprise surprise actually turned out to be just as addictive as any other opioid resulting in an upsurge in thefts, violence and other drug related criminality in the areas in the USA where it was initially marketed.
Excellent performance by Michael Keaton in the lead role

1 Like

I don’t follow series, or most TV, much…
but I’ve been enjoying Fallout on Amazon Prime.

For a series based on a videogame (not a hopeful sign) I’ve been very impressed thus far.

Gone a bit BGT imo, it’s a piano playing competition, not an alternate audition for social meja wannabes.

And why keep cutting back to Lang Lang and Mika during each performance? We’re grown ups, we can make our own minds up about the talent, we don’t need the ‘Oh my gosh I can’t believe they’ve even heard of Friedrich Kuhlau’ moments, just play the choon start to finish.

I’ll still keep watching of course.

2 Likes

Joe Pickett on Paramount+

Have seen Season 1 to date, we’ve been hooked for the last week or so, though Mrs AC Marple figured things out well before me.

A guy with haunting childhood memories achieves his dream of becoming a game warden in Wyoming, and a few simple roles of the job turn into huge negative paybacks with corruption at every turn.

Possibly doesn’t get beyond Season 2 as it wasn’t faithful to the books but very entertaining if you enjoy a Western theme.

Bloody good.

2 Likes

Just scrolling through the channels and I see Brick Top (…you need at least 16 pigs to finish the job in one sitting…) is now in Eastenders!

“Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an orrible c**t…Me.”

1 Like

Snatch is one of my favourite movies. So many memorable lines.

Anyone looking forward to Shardlake on Disney+?

I was until I watched the trailer :worried:

2 Likes

Do you like dags?

Second series of The Responder started tonight. Absolutely superb and Martin Freeman is undoubtedly one of the best actors around. Need dramas like this to remind you how good tv can be. Strangely enough, it was Bernard Hill’s last performance.

5 Likes

The Incredibly Talented Lucy.

I seem to have something in my eye. Again.

1 Like

Final series of Inside No. 9 started tonight.

It was OK, not one of their strongest.

2 Likes

Just finished watching series 2 of Granite Harbour on BBC iplayer. Don’t think that I would recommend it. Like watching Death in Paradise only set in a less exotic Aberdeen.

1883 on Paramount+ is probably the most sumptuous production I’ve seen on any TV channel in recent years.

The cinematography is immense particularly in later episodes.

2 Likes