Since a few weeks I am going nuts about internet radio stations (Belgium: StuBru, MNM, Klara…) suddenly playing too slow, then accelerating again playing to fast. Looks like the steaming speed is variable. Sometimes the radio streaming also stops.
I have the same problem on Naim Uniti Nova and on several QB’s. The issue is only with internet radio stations. Tidal streaming works fine (so it is not my home network. Uniti Nova is connected with internet cable not wifi, same for QB’s).
Does anyone has similar issues and how can we fix this? Thank you. Joël.
Tested: yes, the problem of slowing/accelerating radio stream is the same when listening to vTuner Internet Radio.
Complement of information: not sure if this is related but also few weeks ago the radiostations in Belgium are pushing you one 10-sec advertising slot everytime that you connect or reconnect with a streaming station. After the extra advertising you catch the normal streaming (and you should have no further issues or push messages).
Tested: no issue when playing vTuner on smartphone using cellular (wifi off). If that woud mean the router is the issue, I do not understand why Tidal streaming works fine. Only radio streaming is an issue.
It could be a DNS issue and the selection of the stream. On your computer can you set a manual DNS to use Google or another provider IP address? If it fixes the issue you can see if you can change it in the router or contact your provider for support.
We have seen this problem before - its from smart advertising systems that try and match playback clocks with broadcast clocks to avoid buffer under-runs or over-runs in their system. Its a software based asynchronous sample rate converter at their end.
They can be fooled if the playback app does a burst read of audio at the start of play (so there are many seconds of audio so it does robust playback) but in turn completely confuses their algorithms on clock measurement/data consumption. If the playback app has very small buffering then it stops oscillating far quicker and appears to work.
In practice from an end consumer there is nothing much that can be done. The bad audio data is encoded in the MP3 or AAC stream server side and we just playback at the correct rate.
I got an answer from VRT. They have general issues with their icecaststreams and the issues described in this post are a known problem. They did ask supplier of these streams to find a solution as quick as possible.
Thanks for your reply. I will also report it to VRT (already did to the “ombudsman”) to keep some pressure. I must say that in the mean time the problem is less frequent (although not fully solved).