Is it update day today?

I would love to but it’s not available because the updates are done over the internet and there are no ‘options’. Naim are being ‘strict’ on firmware roll backs - I do have request pending with the software guys at Salisbury - but unlikely.

Have you done a factory reset?

Thanks, I will try that.

1 Like

Welcome to the board Merlin. Sorry to hear you don’t agree with the changes. Last night I was listening again and getting used to the changes. Perhaps you can contact Naim and see what can be done.

Thank you marcusman, I have contacted Naim and they are strict about rollbacks to previous versions - although I have a request pending. I’ve been an ‘observer’ on here for years and learnt lots - with this experience I felt the need to ‘join’ - as you may have picked up I’m quite devastated…

1 Like

Make sure all inputs are active, server is enabled (whether you use them or not) and auto standby is set to never. I checked with Jason and these were his recommended settings.

1 Like

I wish you luck for sure. I’ll follow your progress in the ND555 thread and here. Best of luck and sorry to hear you are not enjoying the update. There is a huge wealth of information here collectively and I’m sure Naim folks are listening.

I’ve gotta admit I wasn’t expecting a SQ update(to my ears) just the Quboz update with the firmware upgrade.

Thanks Robert - did you mean ‘inputs’ enabled - everything is set as suggested.

Yes, inputs, corrected. Obviously Din output is the one to use.

1 Like

Is that literally ALL inputs, including streaming services (Tidal, Spotify) to which you don’t subscribe, or just the physical ones (eg: Digital1-4, Airplay, Bluetooth) ?
To enable all inputs results in a rather cluttered home screen.

I believe it’s the full set. I don’t use tidal or Spotify either.

Interesting. Will give it a try to see if I perceive any benefit.

As for the recent firmware update my perception, also, is that it it is less “mellow” than before with some contraction of the soundstage (at least in terms of width, not depth). Also more detailed.
Just a matter of getting used to it I think and it’s early days - haven’t listened to enough material yet to draw a definitive conclusion.

1 Like

You can open a bit your speakers. It will give a less focused sound and increased soundstage.

I wondered why I couldn’t get Jazz24. Must try again now

Thanks for fixing HDMI Arc. Before when I turn on the LG TV which turns on the Atom too, I would get no sound from the Atom. I have to then turn off and on the Atom on again to get sound. Now sound comes right through. Volume control from TV remote also works now.

Just listening to the recently released Dido album in Hi-Res, locally streamed, on my NDX2. Have to say it’s sounding excellent.

Same was true of my CD rip of Garry Moore’s “Blues For Greeny” earlier.

Seems to be settling down, or maybe I’m just getting acclimatised to the change.

Either way it sounds great, more dynamics, more controlled bass, and more detail.

Still evaluating…

3 Likes

Hi Merlin,
Interested to know if your issue has been resolved and if you have experienced the same with hi res material?

Cheers

1 Like

Have Naim ever confirmed they actually do change sound quality between updates? If they do by purpose they would be able to just say so?

Several weeks on, mixed feelings again on the Nova.

It’s amazing how much more detail the latest update has introduced, and on numerous albums exciting to hear detail or nuances that you’d hitherto not noticed.

The downside for me as with several updates previously is a perceived lack of bass/low end warmth in my system - ultimately less engaging and more digital sounding. I think I may just prefer vinyl despite advances in digital playback in recent decades.

I have to wonder how much of this is psychological as the LP12 as configured is assumed to be fairly constant in character whereas a streamer seems to be more susceptible to all manner of theoretical noise/data transport issues let alone firmware changes. In essence maybe I’m thinking more about the streamer and how to tweak/optimise it, the turntable just does its job unobtrusively.

Sade’s Diamond Life sounding beautifully detailed and high frequency percussive sounds far more noticeable than my original 80’s vinyl, though that really has had a hammering over the years - wonder how a pristine copy would sound.

1 Like

Do you have a Powerline on your Nova? When I added one, it tightened up and improved the bottom end quite a bit.