Is the Eversolo DMP-A8 really better than NSC222?

I can’t comment on the A8 directly, but I do have the EverSolo A6 Master, which I understand has the same DAC etc, as the A8. I have compared the A6 Master with my Atom HE and found that the A6 Master is sonically better, so I have left it in one system and moved the HE to light headphone only duties in another room. I bought the EverSolo from my dealer (where I also get my Naim equipment), so if anything goes wrong I only need to take it back to the dealer for repair, but nothing has.

The EverSolo is making waves not just because of its sonic capability, but also its functionality. It is a streamer with a 6” touch screen, a (very good) DAC and preamp, and can also rip CDs and store them on in internal SSD like the Core. So it basically combines a ton of functionality into a nice looking well made box costing about half (in the case of the A8) what at Atom HE on its own costs. You also get a remote and a very easy APP for the iPad. Overall, I am used to the user interface of my Naim gear, but for anyone not ‘biased’ like me, it would be hard to select the Naim.

If I was to ask my dealer how sales of the A8 compare to the NSC222 what would he say? 100 to 1? 1000 to 1? Just guessing on my part.

6 Likes

I know plenty of people who are willing to pay (and have) for significantly better casework, superior volume control, and far-higher overall build quality. Doesn’t make it the right decision for everyone, but quality still matters to many.

Can you describe your sonic impressions between them? I’m curious.

I would say the build quality of the EverSolo was on a par with my various Naim boxes, meaning a good rung up from NAD and many others. As for my sonic impression, I would never try to put that into words as I think such exercises are always misleading. The only categorical sound difference is the complete lack of hiss on the EverSolo compared to the Naim, at very high volume (and nothing playing), but that is not something that would interfere with my listening in normal circumstances. I did think the EverSolo sounded better in general.

2 Likes

My take on the OP question: Of course it’s not…

And, my timex is more accurate than my Rolex. Luxury, performance hobbies can be an exercise in dialectics.

We don’t need any of this stuff, but if we decide we do, we might find that the originally conceived design of the products deploy best as a system. And certainly give the most decadent level of satisfaction when enjoyed within one’s budget - whatever that may be. Or we might not.

Have a listen and judge for yourself - haters be damned :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I use an A6. For the price, it is really good, nice touch screen, high build quality. Intuitive and it just works.

1 Like

I found the case machining and finishing on the Naim to be several steps better.

Can you give any specificity as to the sonic differences? I mean, categorical stuff like sound stage, imaging specificity, tonal density, etc?

I don’t find using physical descriptors, that could also be applied to many instruments, to be misleading. You certainly don’t have to embellish. I’m just trying to understand the difference that you heard.

Well this is getting interesting. * Gets Popcorn.*

Given that the market seems to be moving more towards active speakers, I also check out the review and there are a few others with similar impressions. I think reviews (from all sources) should be with a pinch of salt. Sponsored videos are par for the course on youtube though, and even more established reviewers such as What Hi Fi don’t review the whole market and my impression is that that certain brands get more positive reviews.

Newcomers will always get looked at critically from established brands and their fans. Who and what you invest your money in a personal choice. I prefer British brands and products made in the UK… but not at any cost.

Listening is essential, but I would see the 222 as an investment, encompassing my values & preferences, where as an Eversolo product I would view (rightly or wrongly) as a consumable item. I could imagine a 222 being a companion for many years. I don’t see that for the Eversolo. Maybe on listening and experiencing the UX of the A8, that emotional experience would change and the product would provide as much joy and for as many years as a Naim product.

As the OP said, SQ comparisons are welcome :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@mj84 Well put. I have steered several folks into the A6 and A6 ME that otherwise were looking at lower tier, multi-box solutions (Topping DAC + Wiim Pro Plus, for example). I certainly think the integrated Streamer/DAC is the future. That + an Integrated amp and you’re off to the races with two boxes, with relative insurance against new tech.

I am looking forward to see if EverSolo comes out with a two chassis solution like the Holo May. It gets people into the hobby, for sure.

Both the EverSolo and Atom HE might be totally obsolete in 10 years’ time… or less.

1 Like

In what way would they be obsolete?

1 Like

Not long ago you were emphasising Topping dacs, now EverSolo. Hum, Hum…

1 Like

No idea, but technology seems to be moving so fast… who can tell whether anything is future proof these days?

In the same way as HDX etc is obsolete now. Technology moves on at a fair clip. Personally I prefer not to put my eggs into the hifi manufacturer basket as a result.

1 Like

I mean, PCM stereo audio has been in professional use for over 40 years. I don’t see the absolutely massive catalogs at Apple Music, Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer, Tidal, getting going “obsolete” in the next decade. When we consider that record labels are deeply unlikely to re-record, or attempt to re-master, significant swaths of their recording libraries in a way that would prevent a WAV/PCM/FLAC/ALAC compatible playback device from being able to function in a decade.

I could be wrong, but similar things were said about a decade ago (and further back). yet simple redbook sounds more spectacular than ever before.

It’s nice to have an upgrade path, but I don’t see anything compulsory coming along that will force what would be a tectonic shift in how we record, store, play, and interface with music. But that’s just me.

6 Likes

I feel myself pulled into a topic I don’t want to go into.

The cable discussion divides audiophiles. Some say it is all fake, some say they hear major differences.

I personally do not hear any and have never found conclusive scientific proof that that audiophile cables (as opposed to professional cables) are grounded in science.

My point is that the comment is A. off topic, B. not the best grounds for discrediting any author since cables are divisive and debatable. If anything it seems to me the burden of proof for cables is on the manufacturer and those that claim that Pure Onubtesium Alloy Cables sound better. Not on Andrew Robinson for sure.

Now this is interesting. First hand experience. Sounded better compared to what Naim product?

That is indeed a hassle. So is fixing the relay issue on a number of Naim products (see NDX2 threads). Or a volume knob that fell off my SN3 upon unboxing, or a display panel that just fell off the Nova…

4 Likes

May I add hiss or humming amps to this list? To my great annoyance my Naim 300 classic set hums sometimes. A 14K high-end audio set that hums when its off?

Also Topping is not Eversolo is it? Or are those companies linked somehow? Other than being from China?

1 Like

Hi @Steinwerck I took a look at your latest system pictures, and the system / room / layout all looks great. However, your cables seem to show that they could do with attention and separation if possible, in particular the power and speaker cables. No disrespect intended, just offering some help.

To answer the OP question, I think not.

But, as ever, it’s down to the listener and their budget, surely better to enjoy something you can afford than miss something you can’t?

ATB, J

1 Like