Is the NAC 282/NAP 250-DR really that huge an upgrade from a SN2?

Oh dear, and there was me thinking that my HiCapped SN3 was actually quite good… :wink:

6 Likes

There is no doubt my HiCapped SN2 (or in anyone’s case a SN3 for that matter) is good. I just think it’s time to see what my sources are truly capable of; to wring out that last bit of performance, and I think the Integrated is holding a lot of that back. I’ve always been more of a separates person, but circumstances at the time had me ‘downsizing’. I’m no longer hindered by certain things, so feel now’s the time to give it a go before the window closes.
I’m convinced on pulling the plug on the 282/250-DR now after reading all the threads and the majority of everyone’s comments here. After moving the SN2 and a few other things on, I should be able to supplement the purchase.

3 Likes

SN3 is lovely, Stephen, no dispute.
But 282…beats it. And why wouldn’t it - unless Naim’s hierarchy is all wrong.

I guess some would argue that according to Maslow’s Hierarchy, SN3 is all you need, lol…

(I’ll get me coat)

1 Like

In my view the 282 really is a paradigm shift over both the SN and 202, someone described it as the door opening. However, as has been said you really have to try for yourself before committing.

Regards,

Lindsay

6 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

I think this is why I am pivoting toward this decision.

2 Likes

You have a wonderful system and should be happy where you are Stephen.

Just because a system costing quite a bit more sounds better doesn’t mean to say anyone needs to upgrade.

A 552DR 500DR system will sound a lot better than mine. But right now I don’t have funds to get that system.

It’s a dream which one day I will try to realise.

In the meantime, be happy where you are unless you have the funds and inclination to upgrade!

8 Likes

My sentiments exactly!

1 Like

I absolutely agree…much as I know a 552/500 or (sheer fantasy) a Statement system will be better (if room dependent) I can’t afford either and am very, very content to ‘stick’ to a 3rd tier (lol) 252/300.

Assuming a 552 doesn’t come up that I can afford, of course… that’s the only move I could imagine in terms of £££/rack space.

That’s very sage advice Dan_M, as tempting as things maybe, thank you. I shall be enjoying reading this thread in the meantime, damn sight easier on the wallet too :thinking:

2 Likes

You’re tempted though…

2 Likes

I read these threads with such interest. I’m way further down the ladder than many people around these parts but i guarantee recently my system has made me smile as much as anyone. I’ve a new room and new speakers meaning at the moment my system is venturing into mullet territory but my humble Rega P6 / Chord Mojo and Nait XS are sounding wonderful, part of me doesn’t want to hear what these bigger sources and amps can do!?

10 Likes

That smile is priceless. Everything else is secondary.

4 Likes

Nice speakers mister.

I’m sure the XS is doing a fine job. And aside from the demo room any improvement in amplification/source would be quickly forgotten and/or become the norm. If it’s playing good music, let it play :slight_smile:

(Also, important that a similarly specced system in front of me right now doesn’t spark any upgrade thoughts for the time being :wink: )

3 Likes

I went from Nait 5Si and CD5Si to 82 HiCap 250CB. That was a big leap and the olive and CB are alot cheaper. To swap out your Supernait 3 for a 282 and 250DR if you want fairly new is big money. You probably want all the boxes to look the same. For me I wasn’t fussed, hence getting something alot cheaper. But with all my boxes are ended up spending £4500 on Full Fraim. And then cables on top.

Thing with upgrades if you’re not careful is you’ll never be satisfied. Constantly wanted everything better isn’t always best thing. Unless of course you have an open bank account and can afford it all without thinking about it.

Most of us don’t, and these boxes are bought with hard earned cash and sacrifices and issues with partners and so on.

7 Likes

Gosh – haven’t seen Maslow in the Naim Forum. Needs and wants – our son confuses the two from time to time. :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh, the forum has been there! (If only once before)

That is a good thread, from what I remember

1 Like

I went from supernait 2 with a hicap Dr to a 282/250dr initially with one hicap Dr and then with two. There is a huge difference, as you would expect given the extra cost and level in Naims line up

2 Likes

I found a big improvement going from one hicap and then to two hicaps olive serviced. Then the Supercap 2 trounced it.

2 Likes

In your opinion, is there much in it…going from one HiCap to two? I’ve, of course, read conflicting experiences here. As @Dan_M and others have stated, a Supercap is where it gets universally noticed, but I’m not certain I’ll ever go that route with a 282 (a 252, yes).

2 Likes