Is this normal? ND555 screen line

Malla, that is dreadful. Things can always go wrong, but for the same error to be made twice is inexcusable. I really hope this gets resolved for you, and that Naim respond swiftly with improved processes.

I wonder what happens to the returns. Presumably they are fixed and then sent out with a new serial number.

I got told, they had re-trained their staff and that only a ā€œsmall number had slipped through goods outā€. So this is either BS or something just isnt right here.

Thats what my dealer told me when my first one failed with a faulty din output. Just the repair , new serial number and then resold. Not sure what the cut off point in time is when they repair your unit rather than replacing it?

itā€™s not usual for Naim audio. I am surprised. They havenā€™t checked the second item. Unbelievable! Or it was ok at the factory but the problem appeared later, at your home?

I was explicitly told, ā€œthis is not a transit issueā€ and is an issue at the factory.

1 Like

Been told a replacement (3rd one) is on its way next week. Also, if Iā€™m being overly critical here - the brushed ā€œ500ā€ finish is better than the previous unit. So there is definitely general QA challenges.

My dealer tried a few dark album covers, and it is OK. He also checked the DIN and RCA connections to make sure they are working. Will pick up tomorrow.

1 Like

OK. For me, its an easy spot, and doesnā€™t require any special backgrounds on the covers etc. It is in the same place as before and about 0.5mm gap between the screen and the face plate. You could easily fit a cocktail stick in the gap. This gives you an idea how off the tolerances are here. Iā€™d expect when they mount the screen to the face place they use some kinda spacing tool to ensure its lined up mm perfect. This should be easy with the right tools. The other alternative is, they have the machine that makes the protective translucent cover print a RED line around the protector film and if this can be seen at any point on the screen, then it needs re-adjusting. So called Blueprint ahem.

They can always offer me Director of QA and ill shape things up. My OCD alone would be enough to ensure it is mm perfect.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you Gazza. I would inspect the new unit before you walk out that door! I have lost faith nowā€¦

I hope that they are being sold as ā€œnearly newā€ or ā€œex-demoā€, or Iā€™d be pretty annoyed at getting a used item.

The finish on my second unit wasnā€™t as good as the first and thereā€™s a small scratch on the underside, but I was just glad that it didnā€™t rattle.

Arghā€¦ I stand by my and others statement though, at this price point, it should be bang on the nose.

I hate to say it but Iā€™d return it straight away and get your money back while you still can. Itā€™s totally unacceptable that a flagship product would suffer QA issues like this.
You can only hope that they did a better job with the bits you canā€™t see.

1 Like

Its not a great situation, but you cannot get any better after service. I collect my third ND555 tomorrowā€¦not at any stage did i have to argue with dealer or Naim. Naim just said we will replace, this is something we should respect, its rare these days.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the fence. Yes the sound is incredible, and the R&D is amazing, but it just lets everything down by the shoddy QA process. I just donā€™t get it. If it means a 2nd/3rd/ even 4th pair of eyes has to inspect every unit before it goes to ā€œgoods outā€, then do it, until they have the process right. Iā€™ve also noticed this evening a scratch on the case. So, itā€™s just annoying me even more now, and want it gone. I am going to give Naim one last chance and then yes, that conversation over what to do next will have to happen.

Great service it may be, but itā€™s hard to excuse shoddy QA at this level from Naim.

1 Like

I agree butā€¦throw the baby out with the bathwater is where i am?..i chose it for the sound quality and i know it will all get sorted.

1 Like

Letā€™s be clear, the QA on a Ā£650 Qb should be just as good as that on a Ā£13,000 ND555. Quality is everything, and does not apply to only those products for customers with deep pockets. Iā€™m sure Naim agree with me on this, and itā€™s time they got a grip.

4 Likes