IsoAcoustics GAIA and OREA Isolation

Thank you, glasnaim, for the confirmation.

Just installed Gaia II on Dynaudio Contour 60s with the M8 thread size.

Big improvement in all areas - more detail in the midrange, treble clearer, bass tightened and sound opened up even more. Combined with a toe-in adjustment I did just before adding them they sound like new speakers. Noticed also that there are more nuances coming through - instrument fingerings etc. Plus - you can crank the amp up even more before any noticeable distortion. Bang for buck - exceptional !

They look superb too - and not difficult to install assuming you have checked out the instructional videos.

Happy camper all round !

2 Likes

Mine are due to arrive in the next hour or so

2 Likes

You are in for a treat - congrats !

1 Like

I get the same impression with Gaia II fitted to my B&W 804D3s as well.

5 Likes

Lots of detail coming through here that I’ve never previously heard on CDs I’m spinning through the CDS3. Top end improvements to clarity and soundstage very apparent, the Esotar 2 really showing its stuff. The whole thing still has to settle down over the next day or so after power up so even more bonus to come.

Ok, I bought a set with the spikes at a good price ex demo and set them up today on my Gold Notw A7. Firstly there is absolutely no doubt but these things isolate the speakers from the floor, the affect on sound is huge and a little disconcerting. Initially it felt like I’d lost all my base and drive but a little experimenting with speaker positions appears to have paid off.

Initial impressions are lower noise floor, perhaps because base is much better controlled and more detail noticable across the range. Music feels like there is more pace, again perhaps because base is tauter and soundstage improved on some tracks. A promising start and already worth what I’ve paid in terms of improvement. I’m actually surprised how much my suspended floor was coming through in my music. Music seems quieter now but clearer. I’m pretty impressed.

1 Like

Another great thing is that you can move the speaker around to fine adjust position without having to faff around with the spike loosening and relevelling. So user friendly !

1 Like

Not with the carpet spikes you can’t sadly

Best part of 1 week in and with the system settled down after power up the improvements are very apparent and significant. More detail, better soundstage - I can only assume that my speaker/floor interaction with the spikes was holding the speakers back somewhat, which has been a surprise.

I’m also finding that listening sessions are increasingly pleasurable - always a good sign of an effective upgrade.

3 Likes

Putting a set of Gaia 3s under my Monitor Audio Bronze 5s saved them from the classifieds. They were the weak link in my hifi after upgrading to Naim XS2 and CD5si and Rega deck. These things took my Bronzes to a different level, never have I had such a significant improvement on a single accessory upgrade. I have also put a set of three Orea Indigos under my CD5si. Very impressed with them so far.
I do not work for isoacoustics, I’m just impressed with their products.

4 Likes

Review of the Gaias in Ear audio magazine, online. Latest review.

Do you have stands filled with sand? Are the Gaia IIIs okay to use? Thanks!

Hi

The stands are filled over 50% with Atacama atabites 7 Kg which are more dense than sand and the Gaia IIIs are good with them. If you are concerned about IIIs or IIs I would say that IIIs are perfectly adequate for standmounts. I did a quick weight check and no issues.
I certainly think they make a big difference to my speakers and would happily recommend.

2 Likes

Just installed Gaia I with carpet spikes on my Focal Sopra 2. I can confirm that you need to loosen the base to get the front two factory spikes out. It was quite simple really. Just lay the speaker on its side. I put the grill covers on and set it on some pillows. You just need a 5mm Allen wrench. They aren’t tight at all. It’s impossible to move the speaker after the spikes are installed, so you have to make sure they are placed exactly first.

I would have a report on the sound, but they tried to send me one set as an open box item. :astonished: That promptly got returned. I should have the replacements in a couple of days. Maybe by the weekend.

Got to listen to them last night for a few hours. Initial impressions are that there is quite an improvement with detail. Soundstage depth has improved more than width. Really very nice.

The only thing I don’t like is that it removes the bass “feel”. You can only hear the bass, which is more defined, but you can’t feel it through my chair like I used to. They completely decouple the speaker from the floor. While they’re playing, you can feel the vibrations in the speaker, but on the floor, almost nothing gets through. I guess that’s the point of these, but is the extra detail worth the loss of bass feel?

1 Like

Stooge-This is something that I find interesting as well to some degree, as with most Naim systems I have owned over the course of time, and experimented with various isolation or coupling devices, the result can be so very variable of course.

I would always leave said device in for a decent period of time, get used to what it seems to be doing, then remove it, and again, listen to it again over the course of time, see if you miss what it did, or if you now have that ahhhh moment, all is back and good. Not easy to do and time consuming with things like the GAIA footers, but maybe worth it, or not.

Speakers can be a harder thing I think to maybe get a clear line on. I always felt most isolation/squidgy type blocks took away the thing I liked about Naim components, the leading edge and attack of percussion etc. Everyone’s mileage varies of course! Good for trying them though!

1 Like

Although I have my Confidence C2s on Gaia II my subs are still on the floor with no isolation, as REL recommends. Something like that mat be a good solution for you. I get a definite sense of good bass.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but not sure I want to go that route. I like to keep things simple.

Oh wow. It took me close to four hours positioning the speakers with the footers and carpet spikes. It was challenging to get it in the right spot without it moving. Not something I want to repeat anytime soon. :grimacing:

1 Like