Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

3 Likes

Ultra SS. Just resting the speakers on 3 of them at the moment rather than threaded in. Will order some threads to do this at some point as I have enough to go 4 on each speaker

Many thanks, i’ll investigate these.

This afternoon’s fun… will report back.

3 Likes

Ok, so first impressions, crisper and tighter bass. Less boomy. That allows everything else to balance better/not be overpowered which gives a feeling of more space and separation, opening up the soundstage.

I bought them on the understanding that I could return them if I wasn’t happy. Within 20 seconds (yes, really) I knew I was keeping them.

12 Likes

Congrats. I have made the same experience also under speaker stands (I use Solide Steel SS6).(click here). Enjoy!

1 Like

I have just tried them (Gaia III) out courtesy of Audio-T. Now on order.

Sadly, even though it is a thin carpet and Isoacoustics say the spikes aren’t needed, it definitely sounds better with them which is a blow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A few years ago, my local Naim dealer gave me this pair of Star Sound Technologies speaker stands to try, (in photo) I took the Vandersteen stock stands (also in photo) off the speakers and put these underneath and was blown away! HUGE improvement, how amazing these Star Sound stands are. Never went back to the stock stands.

I am intrigued by all the praises for the Gaias, and would be interested in trying them, but would have to either:

1. Drill pilot holes in the bottom wood speaker plate, place into the holes the proper “thread-sert” to accept the foot’s thread post. Or…
  2. Find/create a double ended screw that is a wood screw of the proper (short) length on the speaker side, to the proper foot thread on that side.
  3. Put the Gaias under the stock stands, but that seems to be counterintuitive. (and I would only need 6 total) too bad they don’t sell them in pairs.

I don’t intend to ever try and sell the speakers, so working on them to accomplish this is not an issue. I am sure I can manage the mechanics of the project, and can return the Gaias if it doesn’t work out, as they are on Amazon. Have a few other room mods to tackle first, but thank the OP for bringing this up.

You can buy Gaias as single units

Just thought I would mention an alternative to the Gaias.

You can do a search for Herbie’s Audio Lab and check out the Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders which you can purchase individually. My comments regarding my experience with them can be found above in Post # 18

Easy to install, just place under your spikes.

If not satisfied, simply return any Herbie’s Audio Lab product within 60 days for a full refund of the purchase price.

4 Likes

Make that two……:+1:…….:blush:

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice, concerning ordering the Glider’s. I think they are so good, that I’am going to order some more for my PMC 23i’s and Fraim. Even better, the price has just dropped for U.K. orders. :blush::blush::blush:

3 Likes

Hey can I play? I can provide a photo later, but I’m using them as well between my hardwood floors and stands(Gaias pucks elsewhere). They work well and are perfectly priced. Easy shipping/returns etc.

The more the merrier……let’s go crazy ape sh!t. :blush:

1 Like

I did order a set of the Herbie’s Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders to go under my Q4 EVO Natural Bamboo rack. It does allows the rack to glide across the rug with little effort and to my ears a slight improvement in the sound.

Hopefully you enjoy the ease of install and benefits from the Gliders.

2 Likes

I certainly did and do. I have had granite slabs, Iso-acoustic Gaia’s and Townshend Seismic Podiums. If you compared the Gliders against the aforementioned isolation methods I previously have had, on the following points price, ease of installation, positioning and performance. Then I would not be surprised if it did not come out top or at the very least a close second. Try them, you never know you might be surprised. :blush:

2 Likes

Best of both worlds!

5 Likes

Nice one :+1: Maybe, you, myself and @seakayaker can start the Herbie fan club……and I’m not talking about Volkswagen Beetles…….before we get any jokers on here. :blush:

2 Likes

I am a fan of Herbie’s… they work!

My first automobile was a 1965 Volkswagen Beetle and was a fan. It was the only used car I could afford as a PFC in the USMC in 1971.

1 Like

My father had 6 Volt, 1200cc, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle. When he drove at night on the motorway (freeway), you might as well have had two candles at the front for headlights. :blush:

2 Likes