Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

I use Isoacoustics Orea under Proac Tablette 10s, maybe evaluate these or Iso Pucks as a less expensive option

2 Likes

No insider information, up until short time ago they were still selling them except the Titanium was listed as out of stock. Looking at the web site, I see the Brass and Stainless Steel are also listed out of stock.

If you are interested I would use their contact page and drop them a line if you are interested to see when they expect inventory.

I know that others outside the USA have purchased their products and have left positive comments. I believe they offer the 60 day trial period with full refund if not satisfied for customers world wide.

I did buy the ’ Herbie’s Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders from their website and not through a dealer.

2 Likes

I did leave my email address, so to inform me, when back in stock. It seems other product lines are out of stock too, almost as if they going to close for good. :frowning:

1 Like

As an FYI, I just was looking at the Herbie’s web site and noticed that the Herbie’s Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders are available in ‘Brass.’ Both the regular and giant size.

The stainless steel and titanium are listed as out of stock.

Continuing the discussion from Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias):

I was happy to hear you found the Townshend Podiums to sound better than the Gaias. I also use the Townshend bases–under my Harbeth 40.2s and find they have the same effects you mention. However I have not listened to the Gaias and have no plans to do so–not because I’m not curious but because it’s just too labor intensive to do so. At some point, we all have to stop “playing” and decide to put the music first.

2 Likes

I think people who have compared both, more like upgraded from Isoacoustics Gaia to Townshend Podium have found the latter to be a noticeable or significant improvement.

I owned the Harbeth SHL5 for more than 10 years but unfortunately didn’t try any isolators below the stands. In my recent experience with Graham LS5/9, I find the Gaias to be absolutely necessary for the speakers. Without the Gaias the sound especially in the bass and midbass region sound unnatural.

I suspect BBC “thin wall” construction such as Harbeth or Graham etc. will benefit a lot with effective isolation when the speakers are decoupled from the floor. The difference or improvement in sound quality with proper implementation of isolation is quite remarkable. The difference is not subtle.

1 Like

I am compelled to share with you a modification I recently made to the installation of my GAIA I pods, where they mount to the bottom corners of the bass modules in my speakers.

• Motivation: to make the mechanical interface, pod-to-cabinet, stiffer, cleaner, more linear than it was.

• Modification: A thick washer was added between the hex jamnut and the cabinet. After approving the result, I added Weldbond glue which formed a very thin layer when nut was tightened. (You can skip the glue if you prefer).

• Result: A very surprising improvement in music reproduction - more nimble and textured bass, quieter background, greater clarity, more insight to musicianship.

• Cost: Pocket change for 8 washers.

The desirability or effectiveness of this modification will depend on how your pods (Gaia or others) are mounted, and what your speakers look like on the bottom. For me it works amazingly well - but “your mileage may vary.”

Good luck, and have some fun with this,

Charlie

6 Likes

Thank you very much, for the update. :blush:

Sounds like a good idea, and makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Thanks for sharing, I’m remaking my stands so I’ll give this a try.

Cheers,
Mark

3 Likes

Hi Sea Kayaker, i own the same Proac D30r and i’m very pleased with Soundcare SuperSpikes wich seems to me very efficient. their price is reasonable. Did you have a chance to try/compare them ?
imagesimages

1 Like

No, I did not try anything beyond the Herbies ‘Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider’ product. Once installed under the speakers my wife and I thought it was an improvement in the sound and that was that.

With the Gaia 3 is it essential to use them with the ‘carpet spikes’ or can the Gaia’s be sited on top of the carpet without a problem? I assume the carpet spikes are primarily for stability as opposed to being an integral part of the isolation solution.

Use the carpet spikes.
They will not work place on carpet.

1 Like

Great idea and makes sense. Was the glue added between the washer and the cabinet?

JerryR, the glue was applied between washer and cabinet, and when tightened, squeezed out leaving a very thin layer as bond. I did not compare music with and without glue, as I was convinced it would help, and was more than pleased with result overall. If one would like to experiment, listen and report back - that might be good.

@NorfolkT, my friend and I put a set of Gaia III’s, replacing stock spikes, under his Allae’s, over carpeted suspended floor. After some music, we both appreciated the improvement they contributed - but I noted the improvement was less (maybe 1/3?) than what I had experienced with Gaia I’s under my bigger speakers in my room. Later, he bought a set of the carpet spikes. We both felt something sounded not-quite-right, so he removed them. Still later, he bought a pair of cut-to-size stone slabs - inserting them on carpet, below Gaia III’s. We both like that a lot. Of course, this was his system, his floor, his carpet. But I doubt there would be disagreement about the sound from another set of ears.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

Hi Charlie, interesting as I first tried the G3 just on the carpet without the carpet spikes, then on a pair of cut to size granite slabs on top of the carpet and finally on the carpet using the carpet spikes. Now admittedly this was only a relatively short period but first impressions were that they sounded best on the carpet spikes and there was not much difference between the slabs and no slab. Will do some more extensive testing in the coming days.

3 Likes

NorfolkT

My take on this topic is that: the loudspeaker - floor interface affects vibration in ways that can, and usually do, affect music replay. Most changes one can make there (under the speakers) will affect the music for better or worse - or both. Many variables contribute, and one person’s solution may not work for others. I think it is good that we share our experiences on this and similar forum threads.

Anyone who has not experimented with or implemented some form of vibration solution under their loudspeakers should consider doing so. If one is an experimenter, then try something that alters the vibration path from speaker to floor and visa versa. The objectives are: to 1) reduce vibration of speaker (especially fore-aft on frontboard) and/or the floor and walls; and 2) (since vibration is never totally removed) to maximize the linearity of what small amount of vibration remains.

On a tight budget, one can try golf balls (with O-ring to prevent roll-away), wine corks, hardwood blocks, squishy rubber, foam blocks, tennis balls, cheap cone points,… the list goes on. Almost anything will change the music, and we can collectively learn what helps under specific circumstances - and what makes music worse.

Cheers,
Charlie

2 Likes

Looks like there are some new kids on the block to consider from Stack Audio called the Auva. Positive review from The Ear.

Just switched from Orea Bordeaux to stillpoints under mt ATC SCM40a and think I prefer them. More air and tighter sound.

Out of interest, which stillpoints are you using?