Jazz Music Thread

Originally on vinyl on Sonet. I have a copy of this somewhere - good excuse to seek it out. They also put out Sonny Stitt ‘In Walked Sonny’ around the same time.

RSD vinyl version by Albert ‘Tootie’ Heath and co.

Thank you. Perseverance is the name of the game.
Yes that is the sound. Satan’s tenor sounds a bit ‘other roomish’
Nice to hear it again.

I know it’s Stanley playing the saxophone but I enjoyed the auto suggestion.
N

Sorry Stan not you, the balance knob on the amplifier had gotten twisted out of 12 o’clock.
N

I think Vol1 from Tone Poet is now available

1 Like

I’m done buying any more records from Amazon! In the past month I have two orders gone missing but marked as “handed to resident”, their courier trashed my first copy of the Tubby Hayes Fontana set, today my copy of the Acoustic Sounds series Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson arrived in a ridiculously oversized box rattling around inside sleeve bashed up and vinyl outrageously warped!

1 Like

I have always enjoyed hearing Karen when she has appeared locally
but somehow her recordings never seem to quite hit the spot.
Probably best before bedtime

This is how it should be done.image

Those who like a story of a hard life in jazz should have a look at Brother Eli Thompson’s miserable end.
Both on Q.
N

As do a fair few Amazon orders.

Just listening to my first Tone Poet from the latest batch - Joe Henderson State of the Tenor Vol 1 - absolutely sublime

5 Likes

I’d been contemplating the Mofi One-step of Mingus Ah Um; great album but the one-steps are BIG money. So tonight I thought I’d give a listen to the Music On Vinyl reissue (about a tenth of the price) and I have to say, it’s still very, very good! And the Record Industry pressing is absolutely top notch with totally silent, perfectly flat, centered and glitch free vinyl - just as you hope for with every LP but seldom get.

5 Likes

Camilla George is a wonderful player who I was booked to see live at The Lighthouse before Covid19 caused the gig to be cancelled, hopefully she will get rebooked for a future date.

1 Like

It’s nice to see that it includes the full, unedited version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Yes, the tracks are unedited, which makes for quite long sides, but the sound quality is remarkably good considering.

@anon41143757
Enjoying Dee Dee Bridgewater Afro Blue (Mr Bongo reissue), thanks for highlighting it a little while back.
:+1:

2 Likes

Give this a try, full sound and pleasant music…

1 Like

Time to decompress for half an hour before preparing dinner. Dave Brubeck’s Time Out is perfect. This is the mid ‘90s Classic Records LP issue cut by Bernie Grundman and sounding really, really good…

12 Likes

Classic Records did a good job on that one, like most of their re issues I have
:+1:

It’s very good indeed, although I think my favourite way to hear this album is still the 7 1/2 i.p.s. reel to reel tape.

Thumbs up for Connie, I have both Crime Zone and Iron Starlet in high res, both are absolutely superb.

Tim

1 Like

Hi Richard,
Are those One Steps really that much better for the price?
I ask as I know from other posts that you have bought a few titles so will have an informed view.