Jazz Music Thread

Zara McFarlane with Dennis Bovell - East of the River Nile - Brownswood Records 2019
A reworking of Augustus Pablo’s original, arranged by and featuring trombonist Nathanial Hall
Some Jazz fusion that does make sense. I missed this when it came out last year but have made up lately, I’m listening on Tidal but have just bought the 12"

s-l400

Pat Metheny - The Way Up

5 Likes

I thought I was well versed in the Norman Granz/Clef catalogue but I found this on Qobuz.
Diz taught Lee Morgan a few elements when the younger man was part of Dizzy’s Big Band.
Nice David Stone Martin cover.image
N

3 Likes

I have learnt today that Jimmy Cobb has left us.
On many of Miles Davis records. Kind of Blue for instance.
He had been ill for a while.
He had an interesting and I hope full filled life.
N

3 Likes

I beat you there by a few years.
I managed to get a job as a programme seller/ice cream girl at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1960 for Miles UK tour.
I can’t remember too much about the event…but
MD was an arrogant little man. ( however he probably wanted me to think that)
Pleased that Sonny Stitt was the saxophone partner instead of you know who
And how handsome JC was. I wanted to spend the rest of my life looking like that.As life dims down for me we are getting physically closer.
There is a lot of memories in my old brain that I wish I could get to surface.
N

1 Like

RIP Jimmy

2 Likes

Horace Parlan Quintet - speakin’ my piece - Tidal stream
featuring Stanley & Tommy Turrentine I’ve wanted a copy of this since I first discovered the Blue Note label unfortunately all copies including modern reissues are very pricey still sounds good on Tidal though.
R-2990828-1310721504.jpeg

4 Likes

Great mix of Jazz and Samba:

4 Likes

I love Zara McFarlane, Dennis Bovell and the Original Augustus Pablo piece. I checked this when it was released but doesnt do it for me.
Her albums are consistently good though and I would highly recommend Arise

:grinning:

1 Like

Gearbox are making available as a digital download Joe Harriott Jazz For Moderns. Along with other titles (Don Rendell) in the Jazz For Moderns series these were originally available as vinyl pressings by Gearbox. Hopefully they might re issue them physically in due course

:sunglasses:

I feel exactly the opposite and find Zara McFarlane and incredibly difficult listen and it was only Dennis Bovell’s involvement and the Dub versions that appealed to me at all as I find her voice grates on me after a while.

This recent Grant Green vinyl reissue by Slow Down Sounds, cut by Kevin Gray and pressed st RTI is really excellent. Listening to it now and loving it.

7 Likes

Chet Baker Quartet with Duke Jordan - Steeplechase - 1980
recorded at Sweet Silence Studios, Denmark 1979,
I mentioned this record up thread a while back regarding Duke Jordan, they are two of my favourite Jazz musicians and are playing together on this Steeplechase record which has been reissued and is available again. They recorded and played live together quite a bit during this period and where recorded live in Paris in 1983 which was released on the Japanese label Marshmallow below
I’d dearly love a copy but I can only find one for sale and at £178 it’s too rich for me there is a CD release though that I could buy and rip.

2 Likes

That’s a shame, each to their own, I think shes a wonderful UK talent just didnt get this take on East Of The River Nile.
Mind you I can understand you liking this take on the old Augustus Pablo classic if you dont particularly like her voice coz she doesnt sing on this track just goes Aah Aaaah all the way through which to my ears is irritating and surplus to requirement. Would to my ears have been better just as a Dennis Bovell Dub track sans vocal

Slow Down Sounds? Thanks Richard not heard of this label before.

Dread, take a look at Michael Fremer’s review on Analogplanet. He gives some interesting detail behind the labels dn the release.

1 Like

Thanks for the steer, I will…
I did, it’s great stuff, I love Grant Green and have all the Music Matters, Tone Poet & BN80 titles.
My favourite has to be Matador (music matters) with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, & Elvin Jones. Not only did Alfred Lion poach Tyner n Jones from John Coltrane they do another marvelous version here, with Grant Green of My Favourite Things. Now theres a liberty! :joy:
:+1:

"During the first half of the 1960s, Grant Green was the house guitarist at Blue Note. His single-note lines had the power of a saxophonist, he displayed his own brand of soul, and he was so versatile that he was a perfect fit with soulful organ combos, post bop groups and all-star straight-ahead bands, even recording Latin music, spirituals and a Western-themed album.

For 1964’s Matador, Green showed a lot of courage, performing “My Favorite Things” in a quartet with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. Any other guitarist would sound foolhardy in that setting, but Green came up with his own ideas, creating a different spin on John Coltrane’s trademark song. It is proof that on the guitar, Green was on the level of a McCoy Tyner and an Elvin Jones on their instruments. He was an innovator who blazed his own path, created music that had never been heard before, and always remained impossible to pin down as playing in only one style. Matador, which features Grant Green with his peers, is one of his most vital and timeless recordings."

:sunglasses:

5 Likes