Kudos 606 - cat damage

I doubt you’d be able to tell the difference. Apart from whether the tolerances are big enough to be audible in the first place, is your room perfectly symmetrical? The setup in it? Your furnishings? Do you listen with your head in a vice?

I think those will all have a much bigger impact than any tolerances.

If I were the OP I would just fix or replace the driver and be done with it.

2 Likes

If the OP contacts Kudos with the serial number(s) they probably have a record of the matched pair used and could then rematch the new replacement.

1 Like

This!

Peter

1 Like

How about sticking a small bicycle tyre patch on it. just big enough to cover the hole.
Don’t know how it would affect the sound

I’d know why would we buy a product with a selling point of matched units at considerable cost only to say if damaged “ oh well I probably couldn’t have heard the difference anyway”.
Surely I would have bought a far less quality product.
Head in a vice really did you have to.?

Thanks all I will indeed contact Kudos.

Regards the cat it saw the tweeter moving and as cats do it went in claw first. It’s a large maine coon cat otherwise it wouldn’t have reached it :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I think a bicycle repair patch is likely to affect the sound, and if it skews the flexibility could even risk the voice coil touching the side of its gap. If the damage penetrates right through causing leakage and a deterioration in sound (Is the sound different?), then suggestion of glueing with superglue is potentially a good idea if it is rubber though would depend on whether it can be got onto a cut surface to mate it properly. As I understand it, with an isobarik design the space behind the front driver is not pressurised so leakage might not be significant.

Seas, who I understand manufactures the for Kudos, could recone, but whether they provide such a service, or would do on custom product I have no idea. As said before, if concerned about it or wanting it brought back to perfect condition then the first port of call is to contact Kudos.

1 Like

Simply remove the drive unit and paint over the damaged area on the inside with this. Latex liquid rubber.
A few years ago I made a mould and used this or similar, to create a couple of surrounds for a pair of royd a7’s.

Very flexible, what have you got to lose.

2 Likes

Was the grill in place? It won’t stop a determined cat cat at least it might hide the hint of movement that draws its attention.

1 Like

Seeing this I am definitely considering fitting the metal grills to my atcs

3 Likes

I left the grilles off because I was worried about the cats scratching them :roll_eyes:

Thanks. I’ll contact Kudos before attempting anything

2 Likes

Kudos are very good and accommodating and happy to support ‘self help’.

I had a buzzing problem with my previous C20’s only with certain bass frequencies. They immediately knew that it was a cable routing problem inside the cabinet and talked me through the removal of a bass unit and the repositioning of the cable.

I’m sure you will receive excellent support from them, they did seem a very personal and friendly company to deal with.

4 Likes

Sometimes you can’t win with cats.

2 Likes

That and their bare bum sitting on your kitchen counters when you’re not looking.

I’ve seen cats tug speaker cables to pull speakers off stands before. Like kids, you can’t really tell if one is hifi compatible until you try it out.

To the OP, can you give the cat to a friend with nothing nice to destroy? Or make that room a no cat zone?

2 Likes

Best of luck. Please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Or make the speaker a no cat zone.

Our cat wouldn’t go near the speakers if a piece of tangerine peel was placed on top of them.

1 Like

IMG_0076
Well worth speaking to Derek at Kudos I found him very helpful when I purchased my 606s some time back anyway here is a picture of a cat with speaker damage ???

15 Likes

I’m not sure why this caused such a reaction, I meant with your head stuck in a very exact position. Not sometimes a few cm to the left or right or just moving a bit.

I’d be curious to know what you thought I meant.

I just thought it was unnecessarily abrupt.
No real biggie but the position of my head had nothing to do with cat or the pair no longer being a match as they are when constructed.

1 Like