Kudos Titan 606 positioning

Issue I have is there is no wall to the right-hand speaker as that’s where the doors are.

I’ll happily add GK panels if needed.

It may be worth scanning through this thread, in particular the various guides.

Bear in mind that what suits a particular room is specific to the room and of course the speakers - and it is possible that there may be more than one solution that works.

Did this last night and distance between the two cabinets is 235cm (screen is wider than I first thought).

Agree re “potty” statement, I’d likely put my back out at some point !!!

Another option is to get them at bang on 200cm (or whatever works best) and then shrink the size of the projected image so that it doesn’t us up all of the screen.

Did you consider on wall or in wall speakers in that setting?
I’ve not read the whole thread to be honest, but going off the title is this primarily a case of trying to make a whole room fit in around a specific speaker.

The 2m distance apart recommended by Kudos can only be a preliminary guide, perhaps a starting point, unless they have different suggestions for different sizes/shapes of room and listening distances as these can have very significant effects and what is perfect in one room may be far from perfect in another - and other factors have to be considered, such as the screen in your case (which of course itself might be moveable). I agree symmetry is important, though asymmetry can work (it is surprising how many setups are significantly asymmetrical, as seen in the “views from listening position’ thread), and earlier reflections from a nearer side walls can be mitigated to some extent. HH’s suggestion seems reasonable for an audition. If you were to buy you can play to your your heart’s content - and if different positions work better for film or plain audio sufficiently to be worth the effort then there a moveable base could be worth considering for the long term.

1 Like

Interesting…if I remember correctly, Linn advise to not use the same distance to side walls.

Odd, as for best sound balance symmetry can be quite significant – but then, of course, it depends on how symmetrical the room is! I think more important than symmetry generally is not being close to side walls, and if speakers have to be close then having something acoustically absorbent or well diffusing at the reflection point(s).

1 Like

Thanks very much for the measurements.

I think I’ve got a good positioning now as got the following:

• 200cm between speakers
  • 20cm from rear wall
  • 55cm from left wall

I’m losing about 10” off the projector image but it’s not the end of the world.

I’ve set my B&Ws up in these positions (image below) and it fixes my issue of the left speaker being in line with the new rack position.

Only issue I’ve got now is I’m half on / half off the rug.

Only a home-demo will tell.

3 Likes

Great, looking good…i think it should work…you can fine tune distance from wall as reqd…

I am sure you will find a creative solution to the rug…

:crossed_fingers:

FWIW I have had the 505 a few weeks now. Mine were a month ‘old’ when I bought them so have still been maturing in sound, opening up and balancing across the frequency range.

I have them 20cm from the back wall to the edge of the timber side panel, so probably nearer 23cm to the actual back of the speaker. They are exactly 2m apart and around 2.5m to my ears. I found getting them exactly level important, with no toe-in.

G

7 Likes

These speakers are very revealing and small changes in position can make a big difference. I would experiment.

My speakers are 2.6m apart and 4m from listening position (not ideal). They are now 14cm from rear wall.

So far I have:

1. Removed them from stone plinths and now spikes into wooden floor = more rounded and coherent sound

2. made sure the speakers were 60cm from each side wall and symmetrical = improved sound

3. I just added a 555PS and although amazing, something was not quite right. I moved the speaker back from 20cm to 14cm = cleared up the sound

4. next step to to move the rack to the right and speakers a little closer together and give them breathing room.

Good luck

5 Likes

Sounds a good plan Richard :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

I’m eyeing-up the knife-rack already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dangerous territory… :woman_shrugging:

or just pull it back 15’’ or so into the room… or rotate it 90 deg (if narrower) :thinking:

First off, brilliant speakers! I have had mine for about 6 months now and every day I am amazed by my system.

For me 25 cm from rear of speaker cabinet to wall.
195 cm between speakers
275 cm speakers to ears
68 cm from both speakers to side walls.

So far mids and treble are fantastic.
Re bass, double basses and cellos sound wounderful but some electric basses do not sound as they should (I am an ex bass player) probably how they were recorded. As far as drums go bass drums sometimes sound flabby and I cannot hear the beater hitting the skin so no front snap.

I am very picky so I am not criticising the 606s but probably how the LPs have been recorded. I can usually tell the make of bass from a record so I like it to sound as I know they can.
Further experiments on placing speakers is needed to see if electric bass can be improved. But these changes will be an inch at a time until I am satisfied.

All in all fantastic speakers (i dare not try the 808s) :grin:

I’m forced to keep my 606 not less than 60cm from the rear wall. I’m afraid that I never heard the real bass slam they are able to perform :thinking:

Thanks, and good to see these installed in an irregular-shaped room.

I wouldn’t worry. If you’re using a boundary to enhance the bass there’s a possibility you’ll impair the midrange.

2 Likes

Hi
I bought the 707’s
& was underwhelmed in the first month.
I was thinking I’ve made a mistake
as they didn’t sound quite right.
When you get them right & they do kick in they’re incredible speakers.
I’m sure your 606’s will be the same when you hit the sweet spot.

Thanks
Mark

1 Like

I’ve had my 707’s just over 12 months ago. The dealer set them up around 1.7m apart with a slight toe in.

A second dealer installed a NAP500 around 3 months ago. He tweaked the position slightly but suggested I had a play with the speaker position after around 3 months of running in the 500.

It’s always niggled me that neither dealer followed the 2m separation distance and firing straight ahead recommendation from the Kudos set up guide.

So, inspired by this thread, I’ve just increased the separation distance to 2m and removed the toe in and guess what….initial impressions are that they sound a lot better. Much better soundstage and separation between the various instruments etc. improved imaging.

I’ve only listened to half a dozen or so tracks though and I’ve not had a play with the distance from the rear wall yet as I’m supposed to be working so I’ll hopefully do that over the weekend

2 Likes