Kudos Titan 606 positioning

I’ll take the dog off your hands LOL

2 Likes

Demo day tomorrow so will keep people posted re thoughts.

1 Like

606 demo went well and managed to pretty much replicate my setup at home in terms of equipment.

Thoughts:
Incredible sound-stage
Tight bass (passive setup)
Excellent low-level listening
Not as physically heavy as I first thought
Fit and finish of the cabinets is superb

I listened to one track using the S20’s but they weren’t as powerful at low-level listening so knew after one track I wanted the Titans.

Need to get a bit more £££ together but will hopefully have a pair May / June.

Test tracks:
Suzanne Vega - Cracking (live at New York)
Deadmau5 - 4ware
First Aid Kit - Emmylou
Roger Waters - Mother (lockdown sessions)
Depeche Mode - Welcome to my World
NIN - Copy of A
Radiohead - Let Down

4 Likes

@gav_sw20

Glad to hear that you had a successful audition with the T606s and decided to go for them.

Once you’ve got them set-up and run-in at home you will really enjoy them.

I’ve had mine for a couple of years and very pleased with them. As you stated, look nice as well as sounding good with an exceptional build quality.

However, I did go active with mine after a while, which opened them up further.

Enjoy your music.

DG…

7 Likes

Nice setup, I’ll be looking to go active after I’ve had them for a year or so.

Want to add a 252 and SC first and then go from there.

Simrak looks lovely.

1 Like

Good aren’t they. Glad the demo went well :+1:

1 Like

I have had my kudos, 606 for a couple of years and have finally got round to improving my room acoustics using woodupp panelling over 150 mm of RW60 Rockwool (less in the centre). I have also made a couple of bass traps to go in the rear corners. This has tightened up the bass and made things much clearer by reducing the RT60 above 200 Hz to below 300 ms, and typically around 250.
The speakers are now 2 m apart, measured between the two sides, and 400 mm from the woodupp panel behind. I found in the past, before the room improvements, that the distance between the speakers was more significant than the distance behind, and anything less than 2 m was not good.
You might notice in the photo they are on ISO Acoustic feet. I have now removed these and they sound much better on spikes with the floor protected by coins underneath. This gives a good stable base. I am also intending to make a cover for the TV screen when not in use as it gives excessive treble and am currently improvising. I spent a lot of time considering sliding doors, but ultimately rejected the idea as too complicated.
I I find it very difficult to judge the speaker positioning by ear, and are currently trying different amplifiers and interconnects. I have not found any benefit from chord epic over the din connection that came with theNDx-2 but other interconnects have made a significant difference.
By far the biggest improvement, however is the Rockwool. I celebrate

this by playing Lana Del Rey’s ode to its inventor, norman.:grin:

8 Likes

Being a plumber, i hope i never have to do any work on that, unless you can easily remove the wood around the radiator.
Like the look by the way

2 Likes

Yes, a few screws and the panel lift off. The stud work builds around the radiator where there is no Rockwall behind: the gap is filled with a roll of carpet, felt underlay which can be easily pulled out if necessary, An acoustic compromise but a practical solution I felt.

All is fascinating the obscure details people on forums pick up on.:musical_score:

Thats good then.

But being a plumber like i said, you spot thinks like this even when not looking.

2 Likes

Foreseeing and allowing for future accessibility is something that should be fundamental to all installations, plumbing or otherwise, that might reasonably be expected at some time in the future require service, repair or upgrade access. Unfortunately based on property family members and I have bought over the years it is an uncommon skill, one that few plumbers seem to have. Nice to learn of one who does!

After moving the 707 around, 2 metre apart, they sound weird the first days. Is this normal? After a few days they really enjoy me. The first day they were very bright and not nice. Maybe this is normal…
Now they sound really good. 2 m apart and 30 cm from the back wall.
Seems like they need to settle down after the movement.

1 Like

Give them 300 hours. Seriously.

G

Yes, but they are a couple of years old. And well burned in.

2 Likes

Ah. Mine were a month old and did take a while to perform consistently great.

G

I recently moved mine from around 1.7 m apart with slight toe in to 2m apart firing straight ahead as per the recommendations in the Kudos set up guide and they sounded much better from the off. They’re currently about 37 cm from the back wall but I’ve not had chance to adjust that yet.

1 Like

Probably wants to go for a walk

My Titan 606s do seem quite sensitive to positioning and ended up a little under 2m apart. They are fabulous

All he does is listen to music, watch horse racing / Minder and sleep.

Can’t think where he gets it from.

Interesting I find in my room I usually have my speakers 85-90 cm apart