Kudos Titan 606 with NAP250Dr

I was indeed there (Audio Show East), in fact Gazza and I sat through the demo together. I thought it was a close thing between the 2x300 vs 1x500 and would be delighted with either. The single 500 did sound a little more relaxed and active is a bit of a faff, so would probably choose the passive option, if my numbers come up.

At a different event (Audiobarn) I heard 2x250 vs 1x300 on a 707 and I thought the active combo was better.

2 Likes

On the 707s I have heard 1x300 and 2x300 and there was a worthwhile improvement. And big improvement over my SL2s (the 606s didn’t wow me). Not heard on a 500. Have heard 808s active 3x300, and 505 with I think single 300 from a 272. Peter Swain of Cymbiosis tells me that he prefers 808s active 3x250 v 1x500 and that’s the comparison I would like to hear / consider. But the ££ are used up for the next (insert lengthy period of time that will no doubt be over ruled by someone tempting me and maybe a good year in the business :grin:) months / years / decades hmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Oh er, sorry to hear that, good of your dealer to loan you a 92/FC

Yes it’s a disappointing customer experience with the 252 but the dealer has kept me on the road. Just hope I get the 252 back soon.

1 Like

Say 14x 12, had Titan 606’s in a room this size ( lots of books on walls) with no issues, at least to my ears and on my system.

1 Like

Always worth remembering that the 250 used to be top of the Naim pile and intended to drive the Linn Isobariks.

5 Likes

An update on my 252 failure…this from Naim today…

This unit is on soak test so – all being well – will be packed back up tomorrow for dispatch Monday. The display board was completely dead – this is really unusual – Graeme who worked on it (and has been at Naim for 25 years) has never seen one like this before

…so I’m glad the fault has been found and replaced but disappointed I seem to have the audio equivalent of a 1970’s Longbridge Friday afternoon Morris Marina🙁

4 Likes

In the production of anything, no matter how high the specification, things can go wrong. Its how the manufacturing company and dealer respond to that failure which is important and in your case, now resolved.

Where as a ‘Friday afternoon’ Morris Marina, is beyond hope.

1 Like

Yes my parents gifted me their Marina. After 37 years I’ve just forgiven them!

5 Likes

My Dad used to work for a British Leyland dealership back in the ‘70’s and was expecting a customer later in the day to pick up his longed for Morris Marina.

The Marina was being prepped and Dad went to check progress when he noticed that, down one side, was a nifty vinyl stripe whilst on the other was a chrome trim. It was the only time I ever heard him say the f word.

6 Likes

My father had a Marina for a few years, when asked by a friend if it was any good his reply: ‘Well, it usually starts first time, thats about it really’

1 Like

I remember the guy in the “trim” lab at Ford bought a new Fiesta in the days they were built at Dagenham. It took him a few weeks to realise the cloth seat trim in the front seats was different to the rear seats…well we all had a laugh anyway.

2 Likes

Dad took delivery of the Marina on a Friday. On the Saturday he drove to Norfolk to see my Nan. It broke down in the middle of Norwich with a failed alternator. We had to push it to the Leyland dealer. They took 48 hours to repair and then tried to charge him for the repair.

2 Likes

One of the lads in venture scouts borrowed his parents’ Marina to run round in. My abiding memory is the tyre squeal round every single corner over the moors from Bingley to Baildon. Terrifying (but probably quite safe as the limits were quite low)

A pal of mine took his six week old Mini back to the dealer in 1973, with the paint bubbling at the bottom of the driver’s door. Only to be told that he must be washing it too often.

Fortunately automotive manufacturing has come a long way since then.

I’m delighted to report that my 252 arrived back from my dealer today after a super fast warranty repair by Naim (only 12 days). As previously mentioned, the problem was a failed display pcb after only 2 months and that has now been replaced with a new one that will hopefully last for years.
Amazing support from James & Henry at TomTom Audio who went beyond the call of duty here to deliver astonishing customer service.

Needless to say the 252/SCDR is “a bit of a step up” to the loaner NAC92/Flatcap I was running for the last 2 weeks. I’m now able to give my new Kudos Titan 606 speakers the 98 octane fuel they need to complete the bedding in period towards 300 hours.

15 Likes

That’s your weekend sorted!

1 Like

It’s crying out for a 300 in 2021 I guess? But the 250DR drives the Kudos’s well

Yeah the 300 will give it more no doubt, but no doubt you’re in for sweet music with the 252/250.

Regards,

Lindsay

I can concur that the Kudos 606 driven by 205DR sound great (in my room). I use Kudos speaker cable. When I added Track audio isolation feet i noticed quite a significant improvement.
Its all beginning to sound like the HI FI journalists in 1980 said their Rega Nad Mission systems sounded like . Michael

4 Likes