Kudos Titan 606

Roll on his 88th!

1 Like

Come 99th,Kudos will roll out itā€™s new flagship titans

3 Likes

Interestingly my experience is different. Like Seadog, I currently run 40As (with the newish in-house tweeter) and formerly owned C20s. The latter proved to be the least successful speakers I have had in my lounge and not at all forgiving. I found the treble emphasis to be excessive for my taste especially with its sibilant emphasis. Choral music frequently became unlistenable, whereas the ATCs playing the same album just sound like a real choir. I also found the bass (which I struggled to tame) never entirely integrated with the treble. This is in contrast to the ATCs where, I suspect, that wonderful midrange driver helps to pull the sound together.

So I would strongly disagree that ATC is "lethalā€™. Revealing certainly but for me thatā€™s a paramount requirement. With the C20s and unlike the ATCs I found that I avoided playing a significant portion of my CD collection whereas even with my few poor recordings (which the ATCs donā€™t disguise) I still find them listenable and often enjoyable. Perhaps the room explains our different conclusions.

Finally apologies to the OP for the digression. I have listened to several of the Titans but at home and enjoyed the experience.

Roger

i hope the 606 have not treble emphasis ā€¦i hate that.

They donā€™t.

5 Likes

Very true.

1 Like

Hi Peakman,

By lethal(ATC), I mean revealing and unforgiving. Any less than average recording, are all produced and heard.

Do not find the C20 bright nor boomy bass. Rather easy to control speakers and position in fact. Different room react differently.

1 Like

The super 20s that I home trialled had an elevated treble which was very detailed and never harsh. The bass was lighter than I was used to but was so much more detailed. To my ears/system/room the treble and bass sometimes was not wholly integrated. A shame because they are such great speakers.

I now have the Titan 606 on trial and the treble is very nice indeed. It is not elevated at all and at first appears less detailed than the supers but the detail is indeed there just not as elevated.
The bass is deeper and again has great clarity being tight and detailed. Again, compared to the supers, it can appear less detailed in the bass at first just because there is more of it but the detail and timbre of the instruments are still there.

My impressions so far (still early days) is that the supers showed elements of what is possible then the 606s gathered these attributes and presented them in a more sophisticated, polished and integrated way.
In other words they have taken all that is great from the supers and addressed all of the negatives. Perhaps this is expected at double the price!
The 606s are not very efficient (84dB?) but sound great with my SN3. I can only imagine how separate amplifiers with PSUs would improve.
I liked the super 20s but the 606s would take some beating.

4 Likes

Thanks for this feedback Bjm.

Iā€™ve not heard the Super 20s and having had the 606s on home demo can only fully agree with your comments they are a superb all round performer with a seamless presentation.

The bass is so tightly controlled and detailed plus low level listening is excellent.

Hopefully mine should be delivered in a couple of weeks:smile:

Yes @pcd, I should have mentioned that they sound excellent at very low volume levels.

Enjoy yours when they arrive - I imagine that I will pull the trigger on these next week and suspect it would take a few weeks for delivery.

A lot more money than I intended to spend but I think it will be worth it.

Bjm, I did check with Kudos and fortunately they have the required materials/drive units in stock to build the speakers in my chosen Tineo finish.

From what they were saying it is the Gloss Back and White finishes that are subject to extended delivery times at the moment.

Happy days indeed, unbelievably I have just had my dealer on the phone he has had a delivery of two large boxes within the last hour so will be here later with the new speakers.

5 Likes

Hope you managed to build an extension to the house for the boxes when they are unpackedšŸ˜‰. Have fun
GazzašŸ‘

1 Like

Brilliant news! Please let me know your out of the box SQ thoughts and quality of the tineo finish. Mine will probably be ash black but may consider tineo.

1 Like

Gazza, fortunatley the house has a good loft area so I have quite a few Naim boxes up there itā€™s a bloody expensive way of insulating the loft though ?

I have just recovered from major surgery so the dealer will put the boxes up in the loft for me.

2 Likes

Enjoy!

Phil

Yes i forgot about your surgery. Hope things are going well. The Titans by the time they burn in, will kick off a better 2020 for you, take care.

2 Likes

Thatā€™a great service from the dealer.

1 Like

Thanks Gazza, slightly off topic the T606s are a treat to celebrate my recovery but more so the fact that all the tests after my surgery have indicated that I am cancer free puts a different outlook on life?

Big thanks to the all NHS staff involved who treated me with such care and dedication words fail to describe how well I was looked after.

22 Likes