Linn LP12 Servicing

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooops,.I thought everyone who had an LP12 knew that, at least everyone in Sweden knows this.
I learned the importance of this from my dealer when I bought my first LP12 in 1983.

With all due respect,.there is so much to write about this that it would take me several evenings.
I refer instead to Peter Swain’s (Cymbiosis) eminent and detailed description in three parts.

I’m not allowed to post a link about this (I think),.but google “LP12 setup” and you’ll find it.
Every little detail matters on an LP12,. even the screw you use for the tonearm plate unless you’re using a Keel sub-chassis.

Think “Attention To Detail” as soon as you have to do something on an LP12
------------------------------

Set-up guides written by Peter Swain are listed here. The first download is the LP12 Set-up - a brief overview;

Part 1 Part 2 part 3

LP12 Packing Guide

LP12 Exploded Diagram

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with saying I don’t know…

2 Likes

Damn clever those Swedish.

4 Likes

I’ve been very fortunate to be in and around this trade since mid seventies and hadn’t reached LP12 until 1987.
It seemed set up well from the off and with a couple of light upgrades but wasn’t until there were no dealers near me that could be trusted in my opinion to my very OCD trait about setup would entertain.
I seeked out after a very good friends recommendation and was delighted that Cymbiosis could come to me as was very far away.
The deck has been extensively upgraded over this last ten or so years but all dealers do not have the same expertise or “ the right touch “ to what is correct
If the deck is setup and not messed with it can be many years without being touched usually for an upgrade than anything else.
It’s all very well saying do this or that but it’s the way it’s done and the right attention to detail that makes all the difference.
Just like other craftsmen some are much better than others but the description title is the same.
Be lucky or honestly recommended. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

:thinking: :flushed:…I know a lot/most about LP12, I was also the one who wrote here about the big “LP12 problem” a few years ago.
BUT,.I’m not going to spend several evenings writing about everything that matters regarding LP12.

The most important thing should your dealer have taught you when you bought your first LP12…
Then it’s up to you to be responsive and learn more.
An LP12 doesn’t sound better than how the owner takes care of it…
:heart: Everything Matters…!!

I’m sure setup matters, but initial setup isn’t necessarily the same as continued maintenance. Whilst not formal advice, and I have zero wish to represent any knowledge about LP12s here, this post from cymbiosis, on the general topic of things going out of tune, suggests that service intervals might not be set in stone?

4 Likes

Striving sounds like unnecessarily hard work :smiley:

A final point. My Linn dealer is definitely one of the finest in the U.K, possibly the world. Ex Linn employee absolutely steeped in Linn. When I left with my new Karousel bearing he didn’t say he’d see me in X months for a service. Why? Because it’s not necessary. Was an absolute pleasure to watch him install the new bearing, fettle whatever needed fettling and send me on my way. It’s vitally important I think to ensure folk who just want to play music know that Linn & Naim kit does exactly that and keeps on doing it without interference. There’s no need to frighten folk. Good dealer. Right kit. Pretty much plug and play and play and play ….

7 Likes

I thought every LP12 owner knew the optimum time is Wednesday, 11.15 to 11.25am.

If this is inconvenient due to work commitments, Thursday, 2.05 to 2.15am is almost as good but any other time should be avoided as results are clearly audible & noticeably inferior to the Wednesday & Thursday times.

5 Likes

Useful to know.

Four years or so and I notice my springs are a little noisy on the bounce…

May be time to visit Grahams for a medical.

1 Like

Hi @HappyListener

My basis/driver is that it would be remiss of me not to audition one at home. I just wanted to do “due diligence” in having all the “facts” about ownership and servicing. When I get around to it, it may well be that a LP12 is not for me. However, if the LP12 is to my taste, I would than be making the final decision aware of the need to budget for a service, every 4 to 10 years, or when my ears think it needs one.

As you suggest, I could just audition something more “plug and play”. I am rather taken by the Origin Live Sovereign S with the Enterprise arm.

But me being me I would not want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Kind regards
Roger

2 Likes

Are you still using an SME20/3, as it looks like the OL TT you mention could be very similar in approach (and perhaps musicality?), noting the OL kit is 34kgs+?

This is where things can get very confusing, as mag reviews of SME kit always seem to be highly complimentary, but to some ears, they are musically ‘unexciting’ (to pick one word) relative to say a top-spec LP12. To my ears, there appears to be a connection with quietness and accuracy, as against forsaking some of this for ‘rhythmic drive’ (as suggested by What Hi-Fi). I think it’s a case of ‘how many sugars do you have in your tea’!

I really wouldn’t fret on the ownership costs of an LP12 – I’d be far more concerned at the spec your ears tell you favour, as there can be some serious coin involved.

4 Likes

@RogerGround

Don’t know where you’re located, but if you can get to Cymbiosis in Leicester, they have an enormous selection of LP12s you can listen to.

Also, you can compare against other decks, Rega and Vertere, for example.

Peter can also make you a LP12 using both new and pre-used parts which can make it very affordable.

Over the years, Peter has upgraded my deck and I have used many pre-used parts.

The LP12 is a very nice record deck and getting one from Cymbiosis, you know it would be set up correctly and last for many years without tinkering with it. They are a very stable product.

DG…

5 Likes

@RogerGround - I endorse this recommendation by @DiggyGun , re @Cymbiosis .

There is a complete ‘wall full’ of various (new) LP12’s, for you to see & hear.

When I mentioned ‘built from parts’ LP12’s, it was Cymbiosis that I was thinking of.

They also often have parts which you can use to upgrade your LP12. I have got a Lingo and a Kore from them, this way.

4 Likes

Was just there yesterday to have an Ekos SE fitted, it was nice just to sit in the demo room for a while and take it all in. @DiggyGun saw some of your stuff there, do you mind if I send you a PM?

Tim

2 Likes

Absolutely, not set in stone as it depends on the how the set up is shall we say. If done correctly.

Cartridge wear and the need to replace them after a period of time/hours of use, could/would be a trigger to have the deck serviced and this is of course applicable to any turntable/cartridge combination whether OL, SME, Rega or whatever - All of these have been mentioned above as possible alternatives. They will all need attention in the future, the LP12 is not unique in this respect.

KR,

Peter

6 Likes

@Timbo

No, please get @Richard.Dane to arrange.

DG…

Trying to PM on here just lists a post.
“ That could be embarrassing “ :scream:

1 Like

@RogerGround

This is a selection of LP12s at Cymbiosis.

DG…

4 Likes

The usual story is that a deck is set up fine then some “expert “ that knows better can’t leave it alone so rather than look like an idiot they blame the deck as being inconsistent.
Who’s going to admit they made an arse of fiddling with the deck.
Chinese whispers and old wives tales the deck doesn’t go off on its own it can be set up for years if left as is.
Enjoy or upgrade but keep your hands of the fiddly bits. :wink: :+1:t2:
Ooer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes