Linn LP12 Servicing

As others have said, a good Linn dealer will be happy to do what is needed when you change cartridge for little (or even no) cost. Few of us can get through a decade without a cartridge change, so that looks easy.

If you take a more DIY approach to changing cartridges (or any other bits), then I suggest aiming at checking bearing oil and adjusting suspension about once a decade, or after it gets a lot of jiggling (house move?). The Cymbiosis website gives an outstanding and free guide to everything you could possibly want to know about this.

All this looks easy if you DIY or live in the UK. The main reason that I have not shipped my old LP12 to Tasmania is that I donā€™t want to fiddle with it in any way myself, and ā€˜localā€™ dealers donā€™t exist, and it is a long way to ask Peter Swain to travel.

As others have said, the bigger cost impact of LP12 ownership arise because you CAN upgrade almost any LP12 in myriad ways. Before being put off by talk of an upgrade treadmill, it is worth remembering that none of that is mandatory.

Your LP12 wonā€™t sound worse that it did yesterday because today you read about a new bit that someone else says is very good, or even because this morning you heard Ā£30k of LP12 source and noticed it sounding a bit better than yours. In much the same way, your house/ flat doesnā€™t get worse in any sense just because you looked at some pictures in Hello magazine.

4 Likes

Very true. But some people struggle to resist the urge to upgrade, it seemsā€¦ :thinking:

The clue is in the post.

Do Not Read Hello Magazineā€¦ :crazy_face:

1 Like

:+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

True; Nothing changed with our systems when the new bit came along. But, in the case of the LP12, we now knew that what we had was not the best. Or, put a nicer way, we knew our LP12 was not providing its full potential. This type of thinking was supported by the ā€œsource firstā€ principle. The market has changed so much over the years; everything back then was much more straightforward (at least in the UK).

1 Like

Hi again :smiley:ā€¦
If you strive for the best possible sound quality,.what I described earlier is required.

Everyone I know in Sweden has the service interval I described earlier.
To our ears,.there is a big difference in the musical message between a correctly performed service (according to the above interval) and one that has not been serviced for many yearsā€¦
:small_orange_diamond:A Huge Differenceā€¦!!

I bought my first LP12 in 1983,.and have been ā€œAttention To Detailā€ regarding service intervals ever since.

We simply have to state that we have different experiences and opinions regarding this.
BUT,.I note that many UK dealers recommend two year intervals for LP12 with steel sub-chassis, and four year intervals for LP12 with Keel sub-chassis.

Its up to the individual LP12 owner to decide, on this.

There are No Absolutes.

YMMV.

3 Likes

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:ā€¦
If you strive for the absolute best sound quality it is :wink:.

I donā€™t have an LP12 but I understand there are great SQ gains to be had from letting the turntable run with no vinyl on it for between 5 and 10 minutes once a week. Opinions vary on which day of the week this should be. Obviously anyone wishing to have the best performance from their investment should test each day of the week in turn, or maybe randomly.

4 Likes

I am with you on this. I have done a fair amount of comparing, though my ears are old and my analytical capabilities limited, and I would not expect to hear a difference between (say) a 3-year-old LP12 that had never been serviced and the same one after any amount of servicing and fettling.

I have also asked dealers what they had to do to get my LP12 right, and the answer is usually that they did X or Y as routine but actually everything appeared A1 beforehand.

Otoh, the comments here about LP12s with either old sub-chassis or springs being much less robust in this respect make sense. That may explain why I seem to remember people in the 80s and early 90s fiddling with their suspension more often than they cleaned their Troika, and perhaps the range of views here.

1 Like

You didnā€™t really describe anything, you are just tossing around the term ā€œserviceā€, can you elaborate on what needs to be serviced and why would it make such an absolute improvement in sound quality?

2 Likes

When I owned a earlier version of ā€˜myā€™ LP12, back in the early 1980ā€™s, more regular resets were definitely ā€˜a thingā€™. I am quite sure that I was told the Black Springs were introduced to give more long term ā€˜stabilityā€™ - which makes sense. My notes say Black Springs in '83 and glued Sub-Chassis in '85.

Those Black Springs are still in my LP12, but the glued Sub-Chassis had to go when I got the Cirkus bearing (which was not until 2018).

When my LP12 has been ā€˜apartā€™ recently, it has been at @Cymbiosis . And like @NickofWimbledon , it has always been pretty OK, as received - prior to being ā€˜adjustedā€™. There has been nothing which has been ā€˜badā€™ . All my resent resets or services have been for changes/upgrades. The Cirkus bearing (and associated steel/standard Sub-Chassis) in 2018. The Kore Sub-Chassis in 2022.

Its fine if the naysayers want to insist its a faff or troublesome. But I doubt most Linn owners would agreeā€¦

YMMV, as alwaysā€¦ :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:ā€¦

Ooops,.I thought everyone who had an LP12 knew that, at least everyone in Sweden knows this.
I learned the importance of this from my dealer when I bought my first LP12 in 1983.

With all due respect,.there is so much to write about this that it would take me several evenings.
I refer instead to Peter Swainā€™s (Cymbiosis) eminent and detailed description in three parts.

Iā€™m not allowed to post a link about this (I think),.but google ā€œLP12 setupā€ and youā€™ll find it.
Every little detail matters on an LP12,. even the screw you use for the tonearm plate unless youā€™re using a Keel sub-chassis.

Think ā€œAttention To Detailā€ as soon as you have to do something on an LP12
------------------------------

Set-up guides written by Peter Swain are listed here. The first download is the LP12 Set-up - a brief overview;

Part 1 Part 2 part 3

LP12 Packing Guide

LP12 Exploded Diagram

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with saying I donā€™t knowā€¦

2 Likes

Damn clever those Swedish.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been very fortunate to be in and around this trade since mid seventies and hadnā€™t reached LP12 until 1987.
It seemed set up well from the off and with a couple of light upgrades but wasnā€™t until there were no dealers near me that could be trusted in my opinion to my very OCD trait about setup would entertain.
I seeked out after a very good friends recommendation and was delighted that Cymbiosis could come to me as was very far away.
The deck has been extensively upgraded over this last ten or so years but all dealers do not have the same expertise or ā€œ the right touch ā€œ to what is correct
If the deck is setup and not messed with it can be many years without being touched usually for an upgrade than anything else.
Itā€™s all very well saying do this or that but itā€™s the way itā€™s done and the right attention to detail that makes all the difference.
Just like other craftsmen some are much better than others but the description title is the same.
Be lucky or honestly recommended. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

:thinking: :flushed:ā€¦I know a lot/most about LP12, I was also the one who wrote here about the big ā€œLP12 problemā€ a few years ago.
BUT,.Iā€™m not going to spend several evenings writing about everything that matters regarding LP12.

The most important thing should your dealer have taught you when you bought your first LP12ā€¦
Then itā€™s up to you to be responsive and learn more.
An LP12 doesnā€™t sound better than how the owner takes care of itā€¦
:heart: Everything Mattersā€¦!!

Iā€™m sure setup matters, but initial setup isnā€™t necessarily the same as continued maintenance. Whilst not formal advice, and I have zero wish to represent any knowledge about LP12s here, this post from cymbiosis, on the general topic of things going out of tune, suggests that service intervals might not be set in stone?

4 Likes

Striving sounds like unnecessarily hard work :smiley:

A final point. My Linn dealer is definitely one of the finest in the U.K, possibly the world. Ex Linn employee absolutely steeped in Linn. When I left with my new Karousel bearing he didnā€™t say heā€™d see me in X months for a service. Why? Because itā€™s not necessary. Was an absolute pleasure to watch him install the new bearing, fettle whatever needed fettling and send me on my way. Itā€™s vitally important I think to ensure folk who just want to play music know that Linn & Naim kit does exactly that and keeps on doing it without interference. Thereā€™s no need to frighten folk. Good dealer. Right kit. Pretty much plug and play and play and play ā€¦.

7 Likes

I thought every LP12 owner knew the optimum time is Wednesday, 11.15 to 11.25am.

If this is inconvenient due to work commitments, Thursday, 2.05 to 2.15am is almost as good but any other time should be avoided as results are clearly audible & noticeably inferior to the Wednesday & Thursday times.

5 Likes

Useful to know.